STIHL Clamshell seals

Jetwrench

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys, I opened up a clamshell stihl this evening that I got as a project where the guy couldn’t get it to run right and among several oddities I found the main seals installed backwards. I didn’t vac or pressure test before disassembly but out of stupid curiosity is there anyway that would actually work? I’m not an expert, I just tinker around but figured I’d ask if y’all had ever seen that before.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The seals should go open side inward towards the bearing. The sealing lip would not be properly lubricated if it was facing outward. I would certainly install new seals if they've been run open side out.

If the Stihl seals are really pricey you can very likely get aftermarket seals for it. The IPL I have lists both sides as 15 X 25 X 5 seals. They shouldn't be more than $5 each

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As to whether it would run or not, that may depend on where the sealing lip is touching more than anything else. If the area it is supposed to touch is grooved, it might actually seal better when repositioned.

Jetwrench

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the input. I was just curious because the guy I got it from said he gave up on it because he couldn’t get it to “run right”. There were a couple of other minor issues so it got a complete disassembly and cleaning before going back together. I was just curious on what y’all thought about the seals.