Circular saws

junkman

Crush it
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats your favorite type ? Brands and styles ? Is skillsaw a good brand still these days ? or is there a better option ?

rburg

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 6 1/2" skill saw from the late 70's that was used in a commercial environment for about 6 years and the last 32 years in a homeowner environment. It still runs well, but it is very hard to find blades that will fit it that aren't carbide tipped.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always been a fan of Porter Cable 315's.

grassguerilla

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depends on what you want it for. Light homeowner usage cutting plywood and 1x, or commercial framing will have very different suggestions. A worm driven framing saw gets heavy as all get out in many lighter use situations. The modern Homeowner grade Skil ain't great, nor terrible. Just built to a price point. You'll get a lot more out of a second hand Makita or Dewalt. Check pawn shops or CL. The worm driven Skils are still top shelf from what I've seen.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makita they are very good saws the skil I have been around won't hold up. You could build a house or two with one but they aren't top notch Any more

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makita they are very good saws the skil I have been around won't hold up. You could build a house or two with one but they aren't top notch Any more

I like the makita's, but the base plates don't seem to hold up to construction. The magnesium one may be better, but it's pricy and bulkier. I'm ready to try something new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have this one right now ,i like the light weight ,but it melted where the cord goes into the handle ,the table kind of sucked too ,more a homeowner $60 saw
skilsaw.jpg

So when i was at the lumber store yesterday was going to grab another ,saw this makita next to it ,way nicer table on it ,can read all the degrees ,may be magnesium ?? Looked better built than the skill model i had ,almost grabbed it ,but then i remembered why the cord melted ,from ripping the wayned edges off boards i milled ,so looked at the worm drives next to these ,
Skillsaw-185mm.jpg

So i ended up getting the worm drive skillsaw ,they had a few versions ,but the best one they had in stock had a magnesium table on it,and the degrees and inches were very easy to read ,unlike the steel tabled ones ,i kind of like the rafter hook it has also ,i have heard Bosch makes a nice one also ,but they did not have one to look at ,what do you guys think of this worm drive one ? It should hold up better for ripping boards off the mill i hope ,looks a lot better built .Came with a diablo blade also .
SKILSAW-SPT77WML-01-15-Amp-7-14-Inch-Lightweight-Worm-Drive-Circular-Saw-0-1.jpg

I still liked the Makita for the weight savings ,seems like most contractors in this area run worm drives though .

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine is a Bosch. C20 or C30 I think. Had a dewalt. The table was aluminum or magnesium and left black marks on every board I cut. The Bosch has a non metallic base on it

rburg

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think my skilsaw cost about $110 back in the late 70's.

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on what you want it for. Light homeowner usage cutting plywood and 1x, or commercial framing will have very different suggestions. A worm driven framing saw gets heavy as all get out in many lighter use situations. The modern Homeowner grade Skil ain't great, nor terrible. Just built to a price point. You'll get a lot more out of a second hand Makita or Dewalt. Check pawn shops or CL. The worm driven Skils are still top shelf from what I've seen.

+1 on worm drives. nice in alum. used em a lot in boat yards. ho red plastic skil for home use, tho.

Only the Tony

Hiding in the back of the class.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Makita_5377MG_Product_Shot_500.jpg
Started adding onto the house last year and bought this one. Haven't had a single problem with it and even used it to cut through the roof with an old dull blade.

Evanrude

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a cheapo Skil with the base plate all out of whack. I'm lucky to cut a nice arc, let alone a straight line. Don't use one much, but I really like the Bosch CS5 as it's a left side blade like a worm drive so visibility is nice. Probably pick one up next time I have a sizable project.

Bosch-CS5.jpg

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The worm drive has lot more power than the old one ,just updating my findings ,worked good ripping the slabs into lumber strips .hopefully i do not kill the bearings using for a mini mill .

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The worm drive has lot more power than the old one ,just updating my findings ,worked good ripping the slabs into lumber strips .hopefully i do not kill the bearings using for a mini mill .
You shouldn't. I did cook one of those 16" Makita direct drives once ripping timbers.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Most worm drives will probably outlive you even using in construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junkman

Crush it
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Using this new saw ,i really like the blade depth marks ,my other saws did not have them i don't think ,,marks for 1 1/2 for 2 by material ,and marks for plywood so do not ruin your saw horses ,being magnesium is not a whole lot heavier than my old skill saw .
204955639-cb40f41d-6ccd-4147-b423-da55deee5386.jpg

The angle adjustment is very clearly labeled and rigid too boot ,much better and rigid than a steel table
Skil-HD77M-7R.jpg

Claims to be 4 lbs lighter than a traditional worm drive ,it does feel fairly light for a worm drive in my opinion
MAG77_10-Walkaround.jpg

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had a saw that had marks for plywood and such I always just sat it on the edge of whatever I was gonna cut to set my depth. My saw is fairly old it was construction used makita just needed a couple parts and now it just gets used for around my place will last a long time and still a real good saw