Chrome vs Nikasil Debate

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't say that I've tried to clean a Echo cylinder. Has anyone else and what's your experience?

I cleaned up a 590 Timberwolf cylinder. The piston was smearing but the saw was still running. It cleaned up very well with an emery clothe flapper in a Foredom, followed by Scotch-Brite. No noticeable differences between it and multiple Stihl, Dolmar, or Husqvarna.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So I got a call back today from Scott at US Chrome out in Wisconsin. We had a little chat about how to determine if a cylinder is plated with chrome or Nikasil. He said it's all visual. The Nikasil is a dull grey color and the chrome is a shinier silvery color. The nickle in the Nikasil is slightly magnetic. He didnt really give me a straight answer if the chrome was magnetic or not.
I asked him which is a better coating and he said Nikasil, hands down. He said "chrome will not wet with oil" and "Nikasil holds an oil film".
Pretty much reaffirms what we were all thinking. Coming from a guy who works for a company that does both chrome and Nikasil...