Christmas Exchange Echo 620

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
5:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me back up a bit, I'll tell a funny on my self.

I had the clutch off mounting the degree wheel, putting the saw back together, I generally give the clutch a small blip with the impact. I did it this time by hang.

Fired the saw up, kicked it off fast idle, listened at it for a moment, gave the throttle a few rasps and the clutch flies off!!!! It shoots across the floor, bounces off a tool box 10 feet away, heads straight back at me and tries to climb my leg. I'm squirming but now where to go.:clap:

Status update: clutch in pieces and bearing is missing in action.

Results: ordered new Oregon drum kit and clutch. $60 spent in matter of moment.
I had to laugh a little since I may or may not have had that happen before[emoji9]

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 357 is sporting a meteor piston, I've had this saw apart several times.
IMG_1157.JPG

Notice the distinct circle in the pattern of the piston top. Ironically it is exactly where machining the squish band stops. I set squish at .025 and maybe 2 tanks of fuel thru it at thesis point. Guess what squish measures now? Yes the carbon build up tightened things up.

I have the saw apart checking port bevels or any irregularities. I've learned the eye can not see what is going on a 14k rpm.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 357 is sporting a meteor piston, I've had this saw apart several times.
View attachment 46181

Notice the distinct circle in the pattern of the piston top. Ironically it is exactly where machining the squish band stops. I set squish at .025 and maybe 2 tanks of fuel thru it at thesis point. Guess what squish measures now? Yes the carbon build up tightened things up.

I have the saw apart checking port bevels or any irregularities. I've learned the eye can not see what is going on a 14k rpm.
.018?

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I try my best to take good notes, measure thing up, take pictures and study what I'm finding.

image.jpg

I've always used the degree wheel to measure port openings, since I've known @David Young , I have been measuring with a calipers and using torquesoft to double check my findings.

All I can say is, it is amazing the difference you see. Some I agree with, some I still scratch my head.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
4:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I try my best to take good notes, measure thing up, take pictures and study what I'm finding.

View attachment 46185

I've always used the degree wheel to measure port openings, since I've known @David Young , I have been measuring with a calipers and using torquesoft to double check my findings.

All I can say is, it is amazing the difference you see. Some I agree with, some I still scratch my head.
I have boxes of poorly written and confusing notes.
I have a hard time stopping and writing stuff down,I always get timing numbers down but I'll forget to write down how far the ignition is advanced and how much was cut from the chamber and base.

After a while all of the saws and numbers run together so notes are very important
Especially when something goes wrong.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I date them, scribble, change pens, talk to my buddies about them and go back and check as a reference.

I use to write on the cylinders with a permanent marker to keep track.

I constantly take picture on my phone and zoom in to check port shapes and finishes.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_1219.JPG

First picture was 10/18 this is 12/11. I also compared it to a 359. Final on the 14th. This book has every saw I've modified/took apart/ durations/ carb specs. I also port map.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 46202

First picture was 10/18 this is 12/11. I also compared it to a 359. Final on the 14th. This book has every saw I've modified/took apart/ durations/ carb specs. I also port map.
How do you get your girl to take notes for you? She has great penmanship

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What kind of differences are you seeing Joey?

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What kind of differences are you seeing Joey?

Glad you asked. I've been off by 3 degrees or close as 1/2 a degree. And this is why I put this out, I try to be consistence as possible, like same method to read openings. Grant it I'm looking thru a plug hole and have to use the same light and hold my head the same. Transfers are tough sometimes.

I've degreed a saw and had my brother do it and we get different readings. I've done it with @wigglesworth and we are different. I always second guess myself and keep rechecking.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you asked. I've been off by 3 degrees or close as 1/2 a degree. And this is why I put this out, I try to be consistence as possible, like same method to read openings. Grant it I'm looking thru a plug hole and have to use the same light and hold my head the same. Transfers are tough sometimes.

I've degreed a saw and had my brother do it and we get different readings. I've done it with @wigglesworth and we are different. I always second guess myself and keep rechecking.

So as long as you have the correct squish measurement, rod length, stroke, and do the math right, lol, do you think that the calculation method is more accurate?