Christmas Exchange Echo 620

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
4:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Freight service your good asking as your above 90? Properly working air dryer should prevent that. Although some new software on air dryer cycling could contribute. Although the ole' shaft driven might pose a problem. You working the holiday?

Maybe. I'm on the only stay at home job left in my terminal. Hopefully the one guy older than me that's qualified stays on his extraboard at the autoplant.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I hear ya! UPS season.... dot dot dot

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear ya! UPS season.... dot dot dot

Do tell. You'd swear it was Santa himself coming through. I work on NS track as well.So I get it from yours and ours.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Most here won't understand, but the 202 come thru Roanoke the other night with a ditch light out. We was sitting there like a NASCAR tire change out, but unfortunately for blue flag protection, one hour of protection for 15 minutes of work. Unfortunately it is the rules we live by that cost a 1 hr 10 minute delay on a tops train. Guess who had to answer for that?

Yep!! That be me!!! Victim of the system!

exSW

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most here won't understand, but the 202 come thru Roanoke the other night with a ditch light out. We was sitting there like a NASCAR tire change out, but unfortunately for blue flag protection, one hour of protection for 15 minutes of work. Unfortunately it is the rules we live by that cost a 1 hr 10 minute delay on a tops train. Guess who had to answer for that?

Yep!! That be me!!! Victim of the system!

Hand the tools and the bulb to the Engineer. It's happened to me more than once.

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Back on track here. Spent a few hours digging into this echo. I'm measuring a factory squish of .036 thousands of .91mm. The base gasket is .012 thick or .32mm. So with no gasket the squish is roughly .026ish.

I put the degree wheel on it and by my method the timing is....
Exh 104
Transfers 121.5
Intake 80

I have spent most of the time studying the port shapes and piston positions thru out. Here is where I'm scratching my head.
IMG_1195.JPG

I marked the piston at tdc thru the exhaust port . I have very little room here to drop the jug. This is with just the base gasket removed. Hmmm?????

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
NightHawk, I know what you mean about the seal.....I just put an o ring over the flange from an assortment pack and it seemed to do the trick.

Thanks , I was thinking of trying that ;)

Just making up a parts shopping list for limiter caps , exhaust outlet covers and the like for some Echo muffler mods in the new year .

Last edited:

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_1198.JPG IMG_1202.JPG IMG_1203.JPG

I've went over this saw a few times. Here is where I am at. The piston skirt is going to limit this saw. The bottom ring is exposed in the intake port from the factory. The ports width do have some room to widen. I've been looking for ways to improve flow and I see a lot in this cylinder that use to be done for improvements over the years.
With saying that, we must have echo engineers on these chainsaw forums. :D
The tighter squish, the larger intake duration, the transfers openings. The piston is cut on a taper. The bottom ring is towards the exhaust. The top ring pin is center of the bore.