Chinese Professional Chainsaw from eBay, review

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What sort of contradicts it is that a brand like Echo are getting away with basically the same - old technology and a low power output to cc ratio.

No, I'm not suggesting the quality also is comparable....
0978f2b7f5064b1feb0026b32af828ef.jpg

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Additional observation. I left the saw in the back of the truck and when I went to remove it this morning to make room for things I needed, it had a big puddle of bar oil under it. Granted I have saws of all brands that pee oil so I won't condemn it for that, just thought I'd throw that out there. I really want to make some chips with this thing but my schedule is going to be crazy most of this week.
Ya all brands seem to leak oil. I got a big puddle on.my bench now from the ms 290. Think it leaked the whole tank out.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saws leaking oil is pretty random and does seem to follow models but not brands. For instance the Stihl 018's (1130 series) all leak oil. (all of the ones I've had) but very few of my 1127 series saws leak. On Huskies, it's the same with some models leaking and some not. I've had cheapo Poulans that I would carry in my truck for years and they never spilled a drop but some saws will puke out the whole tank full in a few days. If a saw leaks bad, I just empty the tank when I'm done cutting for the day. Problem solved. I've rarely been able to "fix" a leaker.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saws leaking oil is pretty random and does seem to follow models but not brands. For instance the Stihl 018's (1130 series) all leak oil. (all of the ones I've had) but very few of my 1127 series saws leak. On Huskies, it's the same with some models leaking and some not. I've had cheapo Poulans that I would carry in my truck for years and they never spilled a drop but some saws will puke out the whole tank full in a few days. If a saw leaks bad, I just empty the tank when I'm done cutting for the day. Problem solved. I've rarely been able to "fix" a leaker.
Just buy a 660. They don't leak gas or oil. Problem solved.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many members subscribe to the fact that its normal for quality saws to leak bar oil. I am not talking about a little after use but when you find a pool of oil under a saw thats sat overnight. Its NOT normal! I have had saws 'pool oil' & its an easy fix! With a Stihl saw take off the metal chain gaurd by unscewing little screw in between bar studs (right next to flat head chain adjuster) now behind the metal plate is a little round metal thingie called an oil tank vent (it has a little hole in its centre). Now empty your bar oil out into a container so tank is empty. Now you want to gently knock the tank valve from the outside into the tank. Try not to damage it so use something smooth to push it through. It will fall into oil tank leaving a hole where it was. Now a dealer would replace this vent but I have had good success cleaning old ones that are not working by soaking in hot soapy water or mineral spirits and cleaning with a toothbrush. Its just a spring and rubber flap inside and its crimped together. Put or too your mouth and blow/suck to see its working good. Its makes a funny fart noise when you do this.lol Now replace the vent by tapping it back into place with little hole facing outside of tank. It 'clips' into place which is 1mm past the face of its hole. So gently tap it until its right. If you go yo far push it through & start again. I fixed my ma261 last week, it was pooling oil...cleaned out vent and not a drip has been found under saw since.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just buy a 660. They don't leak gas or oil. Problem solved.
My MS660 leaked big time when the tank vent started playing up, they are bad because they hold so much oil! Also the tank vents are the shared between stihl pro saws, they would only cost a couple of bucks each so buying a few spares is a good idea but as explained above they are usually blocked by a saw chip or gummed oil if one uses canola. And remeber......your $1000 pro saw or $200 ms170 SHOULD NOT LEAK OIL!!!

Last edited:

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My MS660 leaked big time when the tank vent started playing up, they are bad because they hold so much oil! Also the tank vents are the she between stihl pro saws, they would only cost a couple of bucks each so buying a few spares is a good idea but as explained above they are usually blocked by a saw chip or gummed oil if one uses canola. And remeber......your $1000 pro saw or $200 ms170 SHOULD NOT LEAK OIL!!!
My saw brand new with a 24 inch bar didn't cost a thousand dollars. And has never leaked a drop of oil or gas. Maybe you could quit being a hypochondriac and use your saw like a tool not a toy. I've got a 660 that's got at least 4 million feet on it and I've only changed the fuel filter twice never changed the tank vent since the day I bought it. I cut timber for a living and have only run stihl for the last 6 years. The only problem that they cause me is because of user error, something that I have caused.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of these in 52cc trim. Yeah, it feels cheap. Because it effin was! Less than $100 to my door. To date I have mounted the bar and chain, fueled and oiled it, it fired up in 5-6 yanks. It cut wood but it was PIG rich (on 40:1 mix) and the semi-chisel .325" was about as sharp as a bowling pin. Swapped the chain for some Stihl RS and turned the carb screws until it screamed proper. It's stupid fun to run for a few cookies because it runs like a grasshopper in the chicken coop. But the AV is awful so I hardly ever run it since I have other choices.

It really does have a surprising amount of snot for an outta the box 52cc saw. No muff mod, nothing. Just a dual port on mine tho, not that tri-port beauty. If the AV was (much) better, I'd prefer it to an 025/MS250.
View attachment 23003 View attachment 23004 View attachment 23005 View attachment 23006

Yeah I had one the same. Said it was 58cc. Did a gasket delete and timing advance and left the muffler. Like ya said chain was crap as. All over the shop. Resharpened it and was a fantastic saw for $60US delivered to my door!!

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I had one the same. Said it was 58cc. Did a gasket delete and timing advance and left the muffler. Like ya said chain was crap as. All over the shop. Resharpened it and was a fantastic saw for $60US delivered to my door!!

Almost looks like a makita...