Chinese Professional Chainsaw from eBay, review

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know how the Poulan saws are listed with varying cc sizes but in reality several "different displacement" models aren't. ie, they're all the same cc size? Well, I'm curious about this Chino saw because the info is conflicting. It doesn't indicate (that I've found) the cc on the saw itself and the "58cc" info came from the eBay listing.
If I ever have a block of time, or if this roasts itself, I may do some investigation to determine the actual displacement of the saw.
My perception of it yesterday is that it cuts about the same as one of my Stihl 026 saws. I also think the rpm is slower than many of the other saws I use. (I don't have a tach for a saw)
I do believe that based on audible tuning clues, it's running as fast as it can in its current configuration.
Next time out, I may take a couple other saws for a more side by side comparison rather than go by memory of several months ago using a different saw.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm cutting a lot of wood today but it's with a radial arm saw. (sadly), I'm making porch railings for one of our properties. It's hotter than blazes again today but I'm in the garage with a fan blowing on me so not too terrible. Yesterday, I was used up by about noon and spent the rest of the day inside doing office work.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran two more tank fulls through the Chino saw today. Got into some bigger wood (16" logs). Everything still is staying pretty much the same. A couple more additional observations.
1. It is relatively easy to stop the chain if the saw gets dogged in very much. (engine rpm stays up, just slipping on the clutch)
2. when you pull back on the chainbrake handle (like to check the brake is disengaged) it revs the engine. Not sure why.

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like this thread, I have been very close to pushing the 'buy it now' button on one of Chinas saw offerings on the Aussie market. For less than $200 delivered one can get a vertically split case and pro style cylinder with 82cc's that'll spin 13.5k delivered! They also come with 24" Tsumura copy solid RNS bar and f/c chincy chain! It would cost more than that for a genuine 24" tsumura b/c here. They also have a roller nose on the 90cc offering.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
8:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been very close to pushing the 'buy it now' button on one of Chinas saw offerings on the Aussie market.
As long as you go into it with eyes wide open, and using beer money - not the stuff for groceries.

(Just a thought - sometimes when you buy stuff through specific vendors, or using certain credit cards, they double the warranty or guarantee satisfaction . . . .)

Philbert

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like this thread, I have been very close to pushing the 'buy it now' button on one of Chinas saw offerings on the Aussie market. For less than $200 delivered one can get a vertically split case and pro style cylinder with 82cc's that'll spin 13.5k delivered! They also come with 24" Tsumura copy solid RNS bar and f/c chincy chain! It would cost more than that for a genuine 24" tsumura b/c here. They also have a roller nose on the 90cc offering.

A lot of the guys in the States don't understand why an Ozzie would have an interest in a Chinese saw, but that's because they don't have to deal with Australian prices. One of the usual replies would be to purchase a used Husky or Stihl rather than a Chinese saw. Fork me, they should see the even higher prices on replacing OEM parts.

In order to rebuild a Stihl or Husky and make it a viable proposition, it is often that AM Chinese parts get used. So, you may end up with original parts that don't wear out (like cases, tank, etc.) and the operating parts become Chinese. - But hey, it still has the original stickers on it!

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A lot of the guys in the States don't understand why an Ozzie would have an interest in a Chinese saw, but that's because they don't have to deal with Australian prices. One of the usual replies would be to purchase a used Husky or Stihl rather than a Chinese saw. Fork me, they should see the even higher prices on replacing OEM parts.

In order to rebuild a Stihl or Husky and make it a viable proposition, it is often that AM Chinese parts get used. So, you may end up with original parts that don't wear out (like cases, tank, etc.) and the operating parts become Chinese. - But hey, it still has the original stickers on it!
I repair saws at work with parts from a pretty big Stihl stealership, man it's sooo bloody expensive!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Would make for a great "loaner" saw too.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would make for a great "loaner" saw too.
Perhaps it may, however at 7hp this saw is in MS461 territory and I guy who don't own a saw may be better suited to a 40-50cc saw. I would be buying this saw purely to have fun with in 14-24" hard ozzy wood. It may be chinese but all things considered is a 'serious' wood killer. Loan saws are ones that owe you nothing, have paid for themselves over and that have been replaced with an upgraded unit. I would not loan this saw at least until it had earned its keep.

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree with Terry about the stigma associated with homeowner/ranch/China produced saws. Many millions of units are sold, they have cut wood for many years in many countries. Stihl probably make more money selling their Chinese assembled homeowner range of saws that they do the rest of their pro saw range combined. Other brands like Husky the same. We are not scared to use many AM Chinese parts to revive saws that otherwise would not be financially feasible, why not take a more in depth look at some of these models and see what sort of performance can be had for $200 vs $2000! The 'pro saw mentality' is embedded amoung saw forum users which means we all miss out on a lot. Rant over continue...

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get one, the first thing I suggest is to disassemble it. Yeah, sounds weird, but the quality control on these things leaves a lot to be desired. I mentioned fixing the plastic starter assembly on my BB365. If I had checked it out before hand I would have noticed it didn't quite fit right and I could have trimmed the plastic and prevented the problem.

Another Chinese saw I fixed up for a mate was a wake-up. They had taken a 58cc saw and bored it out to 71cc. Since it was an open port jug, you can imagine how much transfer tunnel was left to flow the mixture. I did some creative work to get it to flow, then had to re-jet the 58cc carb to the saw. It works pretty good now, but with the increase in torque the clutch will slip if the revs drop too low.

When I pulled the jug I found three bolts were shorter and barely holding the jug on. I figured I was going to have to find some bolts to replace them - I did, when I removed the oil pump there were the three bolts meant for the jug.

It doesn't make power like a pro 71cc saw, but then the powerhead only weighs 12.3 lbs. If he put a NK bar on the thing it would be even lighter and it would help with the clutch slipping issue. However, he's happy using a 3/8 chain on his A$179 saw (delivered). - and with the easy start system on the saw it is the easiest starting saw I've used.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's kinda funny you found hidden parts tucked away inside the saw. I hope the cylinder on the saw I'm considering is a dedicated 80cc cylinder & not a rebored 60/70cc cylinder. Their is a baumer sx82 that is near exactly the same as the 'Giantz' one I want. Some even have the raised 372xp style hi top filter cover which may have a half decent filter underneath. I want the Giantz cause its black......and I have never owned a black saw. It looks badass with the triple port gun barrel exhaust. But yes, a disassemble check over on the bench near the foredom is a good plan. Their are plenty of parts for these saws on eBay available too.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't reported anything on the saw lately because I've been mostly either gone or very busy with other activities. It will be later in September at the earliest before I have a chance to run this thing much. I've been carrying it as a truck saw. So far it has performed adequately.