Chinese chainsaws on my work bench

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello.
New here, and first posting. I live in sweden and have been intrested in chainsaws since i was a kid.
I bought two 660 kits almost a year ago, and now time and inspiration finaly coincided.
The first one i put together with oem bearings, gaskets, seals and impuls line i had laying around.
Top end is FT 56mm and with base gasket squish is 0,5mm, or ,020" if my math is right. Carb is a Tillotson.
When trying to start it, it almost ripped my poor arm off, since the decomp closed the first rev each time i pulled.
Had a Hyway decomp i put in and it stays open two or tree revs.
Changed the rope to a oem elastostart, Huge difference! Now my arm dont hurt every time i pull the rope.
Have not tried it in wood yet, but it runs good! Still have to fix the high idle, so if anyone have any sugestion i am all ears!

Saw number two has oem seals, Hyway handle and a Cross mmws top end. 0,5mm squish without base gasket and was not easier to pull. After maybe ten to fifteen pulls the starter broke, and the engine was stuck.
Damn, i thought there was some serious damage, but fortunately it was only the flywheel witch had got stuck against the jug. At least i hope so, since the crank still looks centered and turns freely.
I will put an oem small end bearing in whilst it is disassembled, but the local saw dealer is not the fastest...
Bought a new starter from Sägenspezi and it feels better than the FT.
Time will tell.

Had to buy new clutch drums, the holes for the bearing cages was way to small. The pins in the brake bands where missing, so was the plastic "thing" under the air filter. Other than that the kits where complete.
Chain adjuster is crap, and i put an oem in one of the saws but it works even worse than the FT.

I think the weakest point on them is the big end on the crank witch is a shame.

So a few tweaks left to do, and then put them in some wood! Fun and intresting builds if not exactly cheap.

Also bought a Holzfforma G660. Starts easy and feels a little moore solid than the kit saws. Will compare it to them in wood before i mess with it.

When time allows i have two 070 to finish, a stihl ms361 who will have a FT bb p&c, and since i could not control my fingers during black friday, i will soon(?) have a 440 and a 460 to build.

Best Regards
Karl-Johan

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey, my favorite Dog was Rex, that was a long time ago, but he was a once in a lifetime find.

Welcome to our lunatic site, you will find a lot of knowledge here.

File/grind the Cross name off the cylinder to clear the flywheel.

The problem with the chain adjuster on the 660s is often in the case, check if the axle on the small gear needs to be shimmed. Also, the large gear that comes with the kit is often too large, and I have filed some of them down. (I chuck them in a drill to file them).

I really like how the Cross P+C runs, but make sure you bevel all the ports, especially the lower side of the exhaust (you have to feel it, you can't see it).

The saw will be very hard to start if the crank is not "free". Don't be afraid to tap it back and forth a bit with light blows with a hammer to loosen it up.

Best of Luck with your builds, and let us know how the 3 660s compare. My money will be on the cross. My recommended muff mod for the cross, just drill a 1/2" hole in the back of the baffle, nothing else. I have found many of them will run stronger like that than with the baffle removed or the muffler opened up more.

I also like to advance the timing by taking .020 off the key.

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
Welcome to our lunatic site, you will find a lot of knowledge here.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!
Yes, there seems to be a lot of nice and helpful people in here!

[/QUOTE]
I really like how the Cross P+C runs, but make sure you bevel all the ports, especially the lower side of the exhaust (you have to feel it, you can't see it).[/QUOTE]

The roof on the exhaust is realy flat. Do you run it like that, or is it better to raise the roof and make it more round?

[/QUOTE]
Best of Luck with your builds, and let us know how the 3 660s compare. My money will be on the cross. My recommended muff mod for the cross, just drill a 1/2" hole in the back of the baffle, nothing else. I have found many of them will run stronger like that than with the baffle removed or the muffler opened up more.

I also like to advance the timing by taking .020 off the key.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, i will try that. My only concern is the neighbours. On the other hand, if the saw is loud enough, i will not here them yell at me! :)

I will try to uppload some pictures when they are finished, and maybe a vid.

Best Regards

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had planned to do some "garage work" today, as filing chains and make a couple velocity stacks for the 660s, (just simple tube and sheetmetal ones until i can get me some of those nice machined aluminum stacks) but its too cold!
And the oem parts from the local steal dealer, sorry i meant Stihl dealer :) will probably not arrive until the end of the week. If i am lucky.

I can at least try to uppload a picture.

Best regards.IMG_20181126_101657.jpg

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hello.
No stihl oem parts this week (either) except two decomp valves. And now i know why most builders use Hva decomps: the Stihl ones are almost twice the price of the Husky once...

I moved away all three saws today, and they ar all leaking gas like crazy!
Seems to be from around the elbow at the top of the tank. Will have to look into it. Already have the elbows on order, but i guess it just as well can be one of the fuel lines?

Was looking into a 064 today, was not oiling, chainbrake not working and felt a little tired, and it reminded me of how nice it is to play with new and clean parts! :)
IMG_20181127_142739.jpg
The whole saw looked like that before cleaning. Both brake and oiler works now, and with new piston rings i think it will run good again.

Now away for work for a week or soo.
Dont hold your breath waiting for updates! :)

Best Regards

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hello!
Home again, but no oem parts for the 660s...
And the wife have decided we need another toilet, and since i am the one to build it, there is not much time for chainsaws.
Anyway, today she is at work, and i felt a little wild and crazy, so i took a couple of saws apart. A Stihl ms361 and a Hva 55.
The Stihl will have new oem bearings, seals, p&c and a few other details from FT.

The 55 i was given some time ago because "it wont start". Well, there is always a reason!
IMG_20181213_110926.jpg
It had scored so bad the crank had snapped right off just behind the clutch!
IMG_20181213_085418.jpg

I have never seen that before.
And when trying to take the cylinder off, my Allen key snapped, leaving the "ball" end in the head. (Yes i know, never pull hard with the ball end, but the other came off so easy :))
But i think i came up with a realy elegant solution. Not!
IMG_20181213_105752.jpg
IMG_20181213_110043.jpg
It worked, and the c was junk anyway.
Will put FT bearings, crank and top end on it. The 55s are one of my favorite saws, and the first saw i bougt new. Still have it, and it runs realy good i think. Will run them side by side to see how the FT version compare.

And now back to timber and plaster!

Best Regards

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hello!
Friday was better than christmas, as four big boxes arrived from Huztl/FT!
IMG_20181214_212731.jpg
It is the kits for a 440 and a 460, a 361 kit plus parts for the Stihl 361. Parts for the Husky 55 and some other stuff.
And this one:
IMG_20181216_105245.jpg
Just could not keep my fingers still during the black friday sale...
This one actualy looks and feels realy nice, but when i was putting on the front handle i noticed this:
IMG_20181216_073201.jpg
IMG_20181216_073223.jpg
I fear it will grove if i start using it...
I have wrote to Huztl, will see what they say about it.

Best Regards

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello!
Friday was better than christmas, as four big boxes arrived from Huztl/FT!
View attachment 155052
It is the kits for a 440 and a 460, a 361 kit plus parts for the Stihl 361. Parts for the Husky 55 and some other stuff.
And this one:
View attachment 155053
Just could not keep my fingers still during the black friday sale...
This one actualy looks and feels realy nice, but when i was putting on the front handle i noticed this:
View attachment 155054
View attachment 155055
I fear it will grove if i start using it...
I have wrote to Huztl, will see what they say about it.

Best Regards
Is that a crack or a scratch?
Hard to tell from the pics
I have used most of the huztl 372 parts
And built one saw.
And have a few china 365/372 from another source
The only real problems I've had
Are the fuel and pulse line's
As a precaution i trimmed most of the "g"
Off the circlips
Those have failed on saws
But overall good saws
I've got a lot of run time on mine
Well worth the money.

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is that a crack or a scratch?
Hard to tell from the pics
I have used most of the huztl 372 parts
And built one saw.
And have a few china 365/372 from another source
The only real problems I've had
Are the fuel and pulse line's
As a precaution i trimmed most of the "g"
Off the circlips
Those have failed on saws
But overall good saws
I've got a lot of run time on mine
Well worth the money.

My camera is crap, but it is a crack.
Will be intresting to hear what they say about it.

Good to hear your feedback on these saws! It realy looks and feels nice, and compared to the g660, the plastic parts is a good step better.

My plan with this, or a replacement saw is to check the cylinder ports for sharp edges and change the piston pin bearing to an oem. And, as you suggest, trim the circlips before i use it much.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Good to hear your feedback on these saws! It realy looks and feels nice, and compared to the g660, the plastic parts is a good step better.

My plan with this, or a replacement saw is to check the cylinder ports for sharp edges and change the piston pin bearing to an oem. And, as you suggest, trim the circlips before i use it much.
I predict they will
1.ask for pics to be sent to a separate email
2.say they spoke with their "technicians"
And it will be fine.
3.you have to argue some
4.they finally relent and replace parts and or saw.
That's been my experience
With parts at least
The price is so low on parts
They just sent replacements
A complete saw i don't know.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I forgot the pistons have been good but the rings haven't lasted me very long
I use cabers or husky.
Several of us are running these saws
There's a thread on 365/372 chinese chainsaws.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is the kits for a 440 and a 460,

I did not know that 460 kits were out there yet, good … was hard to find parts I needed for 460s when AM stuff was not available! This should resolve that problem! (parts like the aluminum intake manifold, etc.)

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did not know that 460 kits were out there yet, good … was hard to find parts I needed for 460s when AM stuff was not available! This should resolve that problem! (parts like the aluminum intake manifold, etc.)

Well, to be honest, it is not...
I ordered a 440 kit and all parts i could find that differs between the 440 and the 460. Probably a few parts missing, but i take it as i go on with building it.
I plan on keep track of all 440 parts i use and order them separately to complete the 440 also.
Think it can be intresting builds!

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I forgot the pistons have been good but the rings haven't lasted me very long
I use cabers or husky.
Several of us are running these saws
There's a thread on 365/372 chinese chainsaws.

Thank you! That was a intresting tread, i have not seen it before!

Solo Rex

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I predict they will
1.ask for pics to be sent to a separate email
2.say they spoke with their "technicians"
And it will be fine.
3.you have to argue some
4.they finally relent and replace parts and or saw.
That's been my experience
With parts at least
The price is so low on parts
They just sent replacements
A complete saw i don't know.

1,2 and 3 are spot on so far! :)

Friday am i decided to put the 660s together to make room for other saws on the bench, a few hours latter i got a call my oem parts had arrived...
So still FT piston pin bearings and fuel lines in them. The one with the Cross top end starts now and seems to run ok.
Here they are.
IMG_20181223_125041.jpg
IMG_20181223_125106.jpg
IMG_20181223_125121.jpg

Was unpacking parts for the 440 and 460.
Bought a 460 short block because it was cheaper than buying parts. Not a good choise! It was nearly impossible to turn the crank, and all machined surfaces had oxidation, so i took it apart. Oxide on the gasket surfaces, treaded holes and where the cylinder sits. The cylinder is a realy nice casting, but lacks about 50% of the plating, and the edges around ports are quite brutal!

The 440 cases has a bit less oxide, but when i unpacked the top end box i realised there is a cylinder and rings, but no pin, no circlips and no piston!
At least the plating is ok.

So, a new contact with Huztl, and some pretty extensive cleaning to do.

Whish you all a Merry Christmas!