Chaps Work Too

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am a strong believer in chaps now as well. I slung a chain a while back and took a chunk out of my chaps. I did get a bruise and I did have a small cut my leg through the chaps. The whole situation would have been way worse without chaps.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am a strong believer in chaps now as well. I slung a chain a while back and took a chunk out of my chaps. I did get a bruise and I did have a small cut my leg through the chaps. The whole situation would have been way worse without chaps.
I can think of a number of people that either dont wear chaps at all or sometimes don't. Typically there is only one thing that changes their mind. It is a close call like the one you had, or the chain was coasting down and cut some clothing.

Thanks for the share,

Stay safe!

N8TE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After discussing with a few experienced friends it couldn’t be clearly determined that I should or should not use these anymore

If they were mine, they'd be replaced with a new set....pretty cheap insurance in the grand scheme....just my opinion though

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If they were mine, they'd be replaced with a new set....pretty cheap insurance in the grand scheme....just my opinion though
If your know how they work, you can determine what damage will compromise protection or WON'T.

BlacknTan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I spent my career in machine shops as a Tool & Die Maker. Much of the time before safety equipment, even prior to safety glasses becoming mandatory, and I've got the scars to prove it. It was not unusual to see guys lacking a finger here or there, or heavily scarred. I never cared much for the safety stuff, and would avoid it whenever possible.. figuring, I'll get away with it this time. Sometimes I did without getting hurt.. sometimes I didn't..
I've got a pair of Labonville chaps... virtually unworn, because they're heavy, hot, stiff and a pain to get into. But, in the last year or two, I've caught my jeans with chains that were just spinning down. Not to the skin, but torn the pants. I figure it's time to get some protection.. hopefully from chaps that are a bit more comfortable.. Suggestions?

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some Jred chaps. Hot, heavy, stiff, can’t get into my pockets...(hot climate here). Might help to wear cargo shorts under the chaps I guess. Some aussies recommended some cool breathable pants but I don’t remember the brand now.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
3:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spent my career in machine shops as a Tool & Die Maker. Much of the time before safety equipment, even prior to safety glasses becoming mandatory, and I've got the scars to prove it. It was not unusual to see guys lacking a finger here or there, or heavily scarred. I never cared much for the safety stuff, and would avoid it whenever possible.. figuring, I'll get away with it this time. Sometimes I did without getting hurt.. sometimes I didn't..
I've got a pair of Labonville chaps... virtually unworn, because they're heavy, hot, stiff and a pain to get into. But, in the last year or two, I've caught my jeans with chains that were just spinning down. Not to the skin, but torn the pants. I figure it's time to get some protection.. hopefully from chaps that are a bit more comfortable.. Suggestions?

I have some Jred chaps. Hot, heavy, stiff, can’t get into my pockets...(hot climate here). Might help to wear cargo shorts under the chaps I guess. Some aussies recommended some cool breathable pants but I don’t remember the brand now.

Clogger. New Zealand made.
Edit: Just 'membered @Philbert did a good review somewhere here.

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure it's time to get some protection.. hopefully from chaps that are a bit more comfortable.. Suggestions?

I also found the Labonville chaps a bit stiff. I find the STIHL chaps to be pretty comfortable, although, there is always a personal fit issue.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, the Clogger pants and chaps are surprisingly comfortable to wear. Like: 'Are these really going to protect me?' comfortable. They went out of their way to design thin, light protective fabrics, instead of using less expensive, bulkier materials. They carry US and EU certifications:

https://opeforum.com/threads/clogger-chainsaw-chaps-evaluation.20077/

https://opeforum.com/threads/clogger-zero-pants.21442/

Philbert