Chaps Work Too

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a discovery while looking my equipment over this morning before hitting the woods. I was working tops and bringing the firewood out yesterday and don’t even know when this happened...sobering.

41D117F5-FF42-44AB-8370-71CE891BA10D.jpeg

It looks minor but had I not been wearing my chaps I would’ve been bleeding yesterday. It must have happened after completing a cut then swinging the saw away with my left hand so I could move a limb with my right hand. That’s the only thing I can think of that would get into the chaps this high, about 10” below the waist.

After discussing with a few experienced friends it couldn’t be clearly determined that I should or should not use these anymore. My gut was telling me they’re fine because so little fiber was disturbed but that’s just an assumption, I bought a new pair this evening. I have since learned that these are still usable but I need to repair the outer canvas. They’ll be my spares for anyone that needs them while cutting with me.

A piece of good advice I got from a friend, set the chain brake when moving or clearing. Did that every time I adjusted or cleared debris today.

Wear them chaps gentlemen, no matter what.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d like to add something. When I went to my dealer for chaps I intended to buy a pair of chainsaw pants for the convenience, one less layer kind of thing. But, what I saw did not impress me.

My dealer was fully stocked in Husqvarna brand pants. Of the two types he had both had a design characteristic I was not comfortable with given my recent incident. The protective layer of chain stopping fibers on the thigh aren’t present until about 10” below the waist line. Most guys might not be bothered by this and rightfully so in some cases. But, had I been wearing the pants rather than my chaps the other day I would’ve been bleeding because the chain would’ve contacted the pants above the actual protective layer of fibers. Because of this, I opted for a pair of traditional Labonville chaps that have protection all the way up to the waist belt.

Not hacking on anyone that likes the pants. I’m putting this out there as information. Due to the location of my near miss, I just wasn’t comfortable buying the pants.

My lesson here is just because you’re buying protective equipment doesn’t mean you’re protected. Buy it with your experiences in mind and evaluate the equipments ability to protect you to a level you’re comfortable with. Just something to chew on gents.

Last edited:

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went with chaps for the adjustabity they offer.
I dont know if it's fact, but my mind thinks the protective layer should be your outermost layer.
I can be out cutting in -15 or 80 degrees.
With chaps, I can just pull the straps tight no matter if they are over jeans or 2 thermal layers, jeans and insulated bibs.

Slacker

Hunny Locust Skipchain Sparker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pants arrived. Fast shipping from treestuff.com.

I wear a 32 waist and got the med size.
They fit well. My 1.5" belt fits the loops.
My intention was to (hopefully) put them on in the morning and wear all day.
I'm forever picking up a saw for "just one branch."

They seem comfortable enough to wear all day. A bit heavy for street pants but not a huge deal. I like that all the pockets are zippered and the knees are pre bent.
Easy to move and stretch. No crotch binding. Machine wash gentle, hang dry.
I have a feeling they take some time to dry completely due to the layers of protection.

I'm not sure they are the best value @$209 shipped but I am more likely to be wearing them than a set of chaps that are in the truck.

I tried to buy a set of Oregon pants but they are not sold in the USA. I would like to compare them. I think the Oregon brand is called the Wiapoua.
I may still get a pair off ebay so I can rotate out.

Full disclosure, I've not yet used them in the field so my opinion may change as they break in.

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big believer in chaps. Also have some experience in repairing minor tears to outer fabric (PPE for volunteer groups).

Followed the USFS guidelines, and tried the Seam Grip product (available at REI, Amazon, Cabelas, etc.). Worked great. One tube will repair many tears (or use for other projects).

Wash chaps first. Place a piece of paper behind the tear to protect the fibers. Mask the area. Cover with plastic wrap and a brick for a smooth finish. Use pieces of fabric from pockets (or retired chaps) to match, or find a really cool patch / logo.

https://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf05672816/pdf05672816dpi72.pdf

IMG_2471.jpg IMG_2474.jpg IMG_2482.jpg

Penguin

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the post there Philbert. I used the same procedure on a BRAND NEW pair of Labonville chaps about a day after you put this up. How many hours did my old chaps have on them with nary a scratch? Heaven knows.

The new chaps jinx. It's real.

Will

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s easy to think oh I only got to make a couple cuts. That would have been stitches and more pain without the chaps
I’d say it felt like getting cracked with a whip or shot with a paint ball at close range. Definitely got my attention.
That bruise is through a good pair of chaps and jeans.