Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just for comparison . . .

Hands-on experience is hard to beat for learning how to work on a chainsaw. Long ago, I obtained some 'dead' saws just to take apart and see how they work. Really see a difference in quality between brands and models.

When asking for some 'dead' saws, recently to cut open for display models, someone offered me some 'dead' string trimmers; I passed those along to a neighbor who works on them. Decided to 'open up' some of those not worth repairing to take a look inside. Really surprised to see stamped steel connecting rods, and laminated steel counter weights (multiple pieces stamped out of sheet metal, riveted together) in this 31cc Ryobi string trimmer motor. I guess that some designers got paid to 'value engineer' this product down to a certain price point, and did their jobs well!

Ryobi WT 1.jpg

A comparable 25cc Homelite string trimmer motor had solid connecting rods and counter weights, but no centrifugal clutch (flex shaft was connected directly to the fly wheel).

image.jpeg

Very interesting and educational to do!

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thread Bump . . .

These are more for teaching about chainsaw operation and maintenance, which is related to safe use.
- worn sprockets to compare with new ones (several people did not understand when to replace them by a verbal description alone);
- nose sprockets: to describe different pitches, wear, etc. (*I need to make a cut-away model of a nose sprocket showing all of the bearings!*);
- scored piston: to discuss effects of straight gassing, lean seizures, etc.;
- carburetor: to explain choke versus throttle plates, idle adjustments, etc. *I also have all of the parts of a disassembled carb in a zip-lock baggie to show how how complicated they can be, as well as to mention gaskets, diaphragms, etc.:
fuel filter: to show how small the pores are in the ceramic element:
- etc..
parts-for-teaching-jpg.576893

Other items could include fouled spark plugs, or anything else of interest that is hard to show on an assembled saw (clutches, oil pumps, needle bearings, crank shafts, . . . ). These parts are essentially free, as they were intercepted on the way to the scrap / recycling bins. If you don't have what you need, most servicing dealers should be able to give some to you (might have to assure them that they are not for resale or warranty purposes).

I also have a partial pair of chaps that I bring, so that people can see what the protective fibers look like. These were retired chaps left over from doing a demo (*note: can really jam up the nose sprocket on the guide bar too - plan for this, or use a hard nose (no sprocket) bar: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/nose-sprocket-rescue-illustrated.256640/ )

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) S212 Course Materials

I was able to order the course materials for the S212 chainsaw course, taught to wildland firefighters. This material is increasingly used by other agencies and organizations, even if not engaged in fire fighting. Lots of good stuff for training classes.

I am 'old school' and like paper copies, so I ordered the 3 items below (prices vary slightly from the printed catalog). But all of the materials (student guide, instructor guide, classroom Power Points, forms, and *videos) are on the DVD, which is the least expensive way to go. Lots of illustrations and videos that could be used for other, tailored classes (*had to download a WMV palyer 'Flip4Mac' to watch videos on my older Mac).

https://www.nwcg.gov/catalogs-ordering-quicklinks

S-212 Wildland Fire Chain Saws (2012)
S-212 Instructor Guide NFES 002660 (about $17)
S-212 Student Workbook NFES 002662 (about $6)
S-212 DVD Course Materials NFES 002661 (about$5)

https://www.nwcg.gov/sites/default/files/gbk_nfes_pms_pub_order_form_508.pdf
https://www.nwcg.gov/sites/default/files/publications/pms449-2.pdf

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simple Chain Angle Gauge for Sharpening

On 'another forum', a member posted a simple tool he made to verify chain angles when sharpening. Although, there are angle guides built into some depth gauge tools, his version was so simple that it appealed to me for training new sawyers how to sharpen.

Visited a local home center that sells aluminum channel and chainsaws. The 1/4" channel fit over 3/8 low profile ('Picco') chains, but the 3/8" channel also fit over .325 and full sized 3/8 pitch chains. About $6 for 4 feet. Cut them off at about 4" with a mitre / chop saw, and got 12 of them (about .50 each).

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg
IMG_1696.jpg
IMG_1697.JPG

Philbert

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A number of chain cutters filed ground to incorrect spec would be a good visual tool. Showing a tooth with poor gullet cleaning, incorrect side plate profile, inner top plate, different inner top plate tapers from 0° tilt compared to 10°, re-sharpened rocked chain that has not removed all the damage etc. I think visual aids are good in teaching all things chainsaw.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
4:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread Philbert! I’ve been a chainsaw/faller instructor through ENFORM and the BC Forest Safety Council here in Canada now for almost 15 years. You really seem to have a passion for wanting to produce the most informative course possible, it’s really great to see. Far to often we get guys out on a job site that have a basic chainsaw ticket but still no idea what they are doing because of a lack of proper instruction when they took the course.

Great job man and keep up the great work!!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been a chainsaw/faller instructor through ENFORM and the BC Forest Safety Council here in Canada now for almost 15 years.
Thanks.

Please add any stuff that you can think of!
(Even if it is written in Canadian!).

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have a copy of the training materials for the Boy Scouts of America Chain Saw Safety Training course, No. 20-136 ?

Just curious. I like to see how all these different courses fit together, or where they differ.

Thanks.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A general, easy to understand book, that is affordable and pretty popular:

53A2CA08-F38B-46B3-BFA5-3579589FB260.jpeg

Philbert