Chainsaw Porting Theory

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dad taught me to spring for a box of donuts when I go to the scrapyard. Dad said the world at large has a low opinion of those guy and the trash collectors, but those are the guys who would help you in a pinch. Go in there acting like a prick to cash in an electric motor and if they accept it, you'll get the rate based on the casting the outer shell is made of. Go in with donuts and some respect and get paid for its rate in copper. Need a 400 small block? 318? 220 throttle body? Third-gen tailgate? Short tail 700r4? Take donuts, a joke and a smile and your odds increase.
I agree. When i goto the scrap yard i always leave coffee money as a tip.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The scrap yard thing. They been pretty good to me over the years don't argue of the small stuff and don't bring them any ass aches and they're pretty good. And you ought to see the chick that works out front.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
11:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dad taught me to spring for a box of donuts when I go to the scrapyard. Dad said the world at large has a low opinion of those guy and the trash collectors, but those are the guys who would help you in a pinch. Go in there acting like a prick to cash in an electric motor and if they accept it, you'll get the rate based on the casting the outer shell is made of. Go in with donuts and some respect and get paid for its rate in copper. Need a 400 small block? 318? 220 throttle body? Third-gen tailgate? Short tail 700r4? Take donuts, a joke and a smile and your odds increase.
Was that your Dad that stopped in this am ? Told me some dirty jokes and dropped these off ,the place he used to get real fresh ones from was closed so he grabbed these as a backup on the way out CIMG7614.JPG .

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No Sir, I planted him the day after I turned 31.....but those were the kind of donuts he was talking about. You know nobody could ever figure out Dad or my cousin Larry and the energy level they had to work all the damn time. One thang I learned from them two stooge was how handy it was to have some of them chocolate donut and some milk, or a ham sandwich with some cheap mustard and a generic soda cold as ice far from home when ye was buckin' bale or runnin' a dozer. That little snack truly was the secret if you know what I mean. Still is. Add $1 can of pepporicinis even if they are high in salt, little bag of bbq chips too. Just a little field tip with your friendly neighborhood Brush Ape......

Was that your Dad that stopped in this am ? Told me some dirty jokes and dropped these off ,the place he used to get real fresh ones from was closed so he grabbed these as a backup on the way out View attachment 26450 .

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So much truth in this, I made my living for about 5 years in a yard. It's amazing the way some people would talk to you and look down on you even away from the job. Guys in the yards deal with so many idiots and *a-holes on a daily basis they truly appriciate somebody who cares.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always enjoyed going to a yard and could always socialize with the blokes. They would often spend some extra time searching for what I needed. I suspect that some of my experiences in life (like living on the street/flop houses) gives me a bit more humility when dealing with other people. I was also an Army officer and a trial attorney, but those personas are only appropriate in the right venue - junk yards aren't that place.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My local tip that's essentially council managed turn a blind eye when I go to the top of the hill where all the green waste is managed and start the 660 running a 32" b/c to get milling/firewood logs. Many times have I filled my L/cruiser tray to the brim with good seasoned hardwood. I also use their scales to weigh my truck/camper whenever I want. A couple of cans of coke and the odd bag of snakes means most of the 'regulations' get put aside. One day one guy the put a contra lightning in my hands and said 'take it if its any good to ya'. I have 5 good running saws from the tip, one is near brand new it was leaking bar oil from a dodgy cast plastic tank. 20min job to fix.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of newer carbs are like this Terry. The 3120 carbs I do are the same way. Everything goes thur the main jet, to the metering nozzle area, then on to the low side and welch plug area.

I hope you do figure out those epa carbs. They can be a real pain to use on larger saws. The 395xp carbs too, I've tried using them on 65cc engines with mixed results......

I noticed that the thread about dynos has come back. Now that would be something to use to check out the carburetor. You could even start up the engine on the dyno, then slowly screw in the low speed needle until it was closed and then just run on the high speed circuit through the venturi. That way you could check the various venturi configurations as to the shape and length of the fuel curves.

For example, this 460 carb with the offset nozzle looks pretty good, I think it will even have a wider fuel curve than other carbs - but I don't know. A dyno could show us the fuel curves for various carbs, which may help in the selection of a carb for a particular application and the particular mods that may be necessary to get the most out of it.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Over the last few evenings I have read 61 pages And 1,189 post! Great reading!

I still don't know what to do with the 024s/026 on my bench.

Thinking of

Ex 99-100/ 118-119/80-

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For example, this 460 carb with the offset nozzle looks pretty good, I think it will even have a wider fuel curve than other carbs - but I don't know. A dyno could show us the fuel curves for various carbs, which may help in the selection of a carb for a particular application and the particular mods that may be necessary to get the most out of it.

I'm quoting my own previous post - after playing with the 460 carb on a 64cc saw, the fuel curves didn't turn out as wide as a modded HD-5 carb. Perhaps on a bigger engine it would work well, but for a 64cc work saw, the HD had a better spread of power.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Over the last few evenings I have read 61 pages And 1,189 post! Great reading!

I still don't know what to do with the 024s/026 on my bench.

Thinking of

Ex 99-100/ 118-119/80-
I used close to those in a 026 that ran good. Less than 200lbs also.
Didn't cut the chamber or piston flat either.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used close to those in a 026 that ran good. Less than 200lbs also.
Didn't cut the chamber or piston flat either.

I have a 024 running 99/119/83 it's surprising.

It stays with the 026 I mentioned above... what gives Lol