High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw Mills

Kevin

OPE Member
Local time
1:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've milled many boards with a chainsaw mill and ended up buying a bandsaw mill.
I kept the chainsaw mill for remote locations but have not used it in years.

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone out there into chainsaw milling?
I run a Logosol M-8 and Alaskan and am a member of several sites on FB;
Chainsaw and Farm Timber Milling site on FB has over 1700 members from around the globe. Arboristsite.com I believe also has a group. Search "milling" on FB and you will find others.

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
CSM can also be easier w/ an urban tree in a tight yard access or a single tree in the middle of a field; much easier to haul in an alaskan or portamill and haul out lumber than to bring in heavy equipment hauling logs and messing up someone's lawn/ yard.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always wanted a bandsaw mill, but they're too expensive. Maybe someday I'll try a chainsaw mill...

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On second thought, I don't have time for that stuff.

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a chainsaw, and an Alaskan mill, but I've never milled a board.

I would like to though.
all it takes is a good log to get you started; sometimes a jewel hidden in one you thought was rotten, LOL. Just yesterday, looking at where a guy turned an old piece of gray driftwood into a beautiful cedar/ redwood fireplace mantel. (i always said) a 2x6 w/ a soft edge maybe a great 2x4, LOL

Last edited:

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We have a few large pines on our hunting land close to camp. We've been considering building a pole barn, or something like it, and I love the idea of doing it soup to nuts with trees from our land.
I like the looks of those Alaskan mills, and have seen some videos on them. Have not seen the porta-mill yet, though I will look for them. Not sure how much saw you need for this type of thing, that's another consideration.

madhatte

It's The Water
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chainsaw milling is a lot of work but is a good way to get the weird stuff in tough places. I have a 36" Granberg that gets used a few times a year.

Terry Hennessy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I always wanted a bandsaw mill, but they're too expensive. Maybe someday I'll try a chainsaw mill...
Yeah, CSM about $1k minimum, where BSM about $3500 minimum, but hard to haul that BSM to a ditch, LOL

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what my grandpa was talking about the other day. I would love to have the new Norwood 36" wide mill. But at $30k round abouts I'll still to CSM until I win this powerball. :b1:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For someone who doesn't have the means to get a log to a band mill, I think it's a great way to walk out of the woods with some beautiful boards. I recently milled some apple trees. I have access to about 1200+ all pushed over. So far I've got about 43 for firewood and decided to borrow a friends mill. Wow is all I'll say.

one.jpg
three.jpg
two.jpg
four.jpg