Chainsaw life expectancy?

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No idea why I stared pondering this...How many hours can a chainsaw engine run on average, in ideal conditions? I'm talking internal engine components, if the rest of the saw is kept buttoned up with no abnormal abuse and a sharp chain. Do manufacturers post data like this somewhere? I'm sure their R&D dept run a few until failure.

How about pro vs homeowner saws? Let's say stihl ms251 vs ms261, I don't see any reason the internals of the engine wouldn't have the same service life. Any reason the homeowner line internals would not last as long? Typically the damage is from the user on the homeowner lines, the saw just takes the blame.

Pondering over...

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
10:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my opinion a pro saw is always worth it over a home owner saw. I have a original 036 pro with lots and lots and lots of use on it, yeah the compression is down a bit but it starts and cuts wood!

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my opinion a pro saw is always worth it over a home owner saw. I have a original 036 pro with lots and lots and lots of use on it, yeah the compression is down a bit but it starts and cuts wood!

I'm certainly not arguing the against the advantages of pro saws, just curious about long term engine performance.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Infinitely if you can get part's .
i still maintain homelites from the 60s that were production poplar saws they saw heavy use as well as loggers saws if they don't destroy the bottom ends it's easy.

Nitehawk55

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
An internal combustion engine is one of few mechanical devices that is continually trying to destroy it's self . Use and maintenance and other factors has a lot to do with the longevity you'll get from it , be it a car engine or small engine .
I'll likely get flamed for this but modifications other than muffler mods usually effect that as well .

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got three 015ls and a 031 to do lol
Coils are an issue with homelites and i can't find a rubber boot for a 920 Johnny.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
An internal combustion engine is one of few mechanical devices that is continually trying to destroy it's self . Use and maintenance and other factors has a lot to do with the longevity you'll get from it , be it a car engine or small engine .
I'll likely get flamed for this but modifications usually effect that as well .
I'm right with you i only port mine my customers just want stock rebuilds i do reasonable not loud muff mods and don't tell them Sometimes lol

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No idea why I stared pondering this...How many hours can a chainsaw engine run on average, in ideal conditions? I'm talking internal engine components, if the rest of the saw is kept buttoned up with no abnormal abuse and a sharp chain. Do manufacturers post data like this somewhere? I'm sure their R&D dept run a few until failure.

How about pro vs homeowner saws? Let's say stihl ms251 vs ms261, I don't see any reason the internals of the engine wouldn't have the same service life. Any reason the homeowner line internals would not last as long? Typically the damage is from the user on the homeowner lines, the saw just takes the blame.

Pondering over...

I see what your asking. Parts and assemblies are designed with a life expectancy. Similar to gears, pulleys, etc. your wondering what the engineers used in their lifetime expectancy assuming constant inputs for chain, fuel mix, operating parameters, etc.

I am sure they are designed very close with the pro saws having additional features to aid in optimal performance. Adjustable oilers, etc.

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting.......I've seen new saws destroyed in less than a half hour and others being used regularly for 30 years that run great.
I have a stepson who is a tree guy , He could destroy a pro saw just as fast as a home owner saw.It definitely depends on the operator.

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Well all i can say is back in 1974 i bort my first saw Stihl 031 AV $231 and all its life its ran 25/1 and the only thing that ever got change in the hole time was 2 carby kits and , 5 plugs , not bad , 43 yrs, that saw got used for every thing and a lot of work
2 years ago it got rebuilt and working again
i would say that answers your question
Peter

Last edited:

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a really loaded question. All the obvious fresh ethonol free fuel, proper storage, clean filters and saw. Proper tune. That said, some saws are well built and some turds. With epa, a lot of new saws are choked down a set lean.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was talking to a an guy that rebuilds alot I mean alot of the 1127 series saws and said that one he rebuilt with am p/c cant remember brand it ran close to 400 hours. And yes the put a meter on it.

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I think at a guess i would say all the electronics will stuff up more so than the moving parts in the long run
and with points you give a quick clean and away ya go , pity i cant be done with electronics

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a really loaded question. All the obvious fresh ethonol free fuel, proper storage, clean filters and saw. Proper tune. That said, some saws are well built and some turds. With epa, a lot of new saws are choked down a set lean.

Example of one my favorite old saws are Stihl 028s. This one salvaged from a fire. All I did was clean it up some. Running strong. 20160613_124332.jpg20160613_124412.jpg