Trader history (0)

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is about the following saw it was not built for me but it was bought by myself from the builder, @Chainsaw Jim

http://opeforum.com/threads/stihl-ms361.13118/

So I bought this saw from Jim and it does run quite well no reason for me to think anything sour in the deal. I paid $550+ shipping for the powehead only as I didn’t need the bar that was included. Total paid was $600

I have spoken with a moderator recently about this issue and been given the go ahead on this thread.

Fast forward to to November 16/18 and I wanted to take a look at the porting since I’m trying myself to learn a bit so I wanted to look at the work of other builders.

I pull the muffler and find the following. 8CA6315A-DC4F-4149-AD98-7C2F5F0F4B61.jpegFB8F6148-1E2A-4916-B48E-C3DF22576C27.jpeg4F201590-AD68-4590-83C5-0C4C55270FC9.jpeg C5B9850A-6875-4F8B-B460-FFE80286B905.jpeg
Piston smeared as can be, cylinder has been cleaned up and piston sanded and ring lands cleaned, new rings installed and CERTAINLY NOT. A new oem piston in it.
I immediately contact Jim, he tells me he must have forgotten to change the piston after fitting everything up. I’m told I will have the new piston ASAP. We speak about me shipping back to him or me installing piston. It was agreed over the phone I would install the piston. Then the following exchange of text messages occur over the last 3 months since this.

11/16/8

Me Just took a look at the cylinder on this 361 to see the port work and I'm a bit disappointed in the condition of the piston.

11/27/18

Me Hey how's it going? I hope you and your family had a great Thanksgiving.

Jim I just want to let you know I haven't forgot about you. I have that piston in a box around here somewhere. The more I've thought about it I remembered I didn't buy rings only, I bought the whole kit. So I'm positive I'll have it in my hands soon.

I'm so pissed at myself for letting it slip my mind before I sold it.

Jim Ours was great how about yours? No problem I'm sure you'll find it. Crap happens.... Sitting at prenatal appointment!

12/13/18

Me Any luck finding that piston?

12/14/18

Jim Sorry I didn't reput back yesterday. Busy busy.

I've looked through a few boxes and haven't found it yet. I know it's here somewhere.

Me No prob just checking

12/21/18

Jim I found the damn thing, lol. I'll get it sent that way here in a couple days.

12/22/18

Me No problem, thank you sir. Have a merry Christmas!

Jim You too.

1/19/19

Me How we looking on shipping that piston?

Jim Dammit!!!!...I keep forgetting about it!!!!

It took me long enough to figure out where it went, now it looks like I'm just being an *a-hole.

Jim Thank you for being so patient with me on my mistake.

Me No worries holidays are a busy time and once it's forgotten in that mess it's lost till something reminds us.

Me I haven't needed the saw as of late I've been playing w a bunch of new to me husky's cutting firewood of a massive pile.

01/30/19

Me We're well over 2 months since the problem was noticed and reported to you, with your word that the situation would be rectified. It hasn't yet and I'm a bit displeased to say the least. All I want is the "new OEM piston" it was advertised as having when I bought the saw.

Jim I have had the piston in another saw since I was working on that one back when and that's why it took me so long to find it. I haven't removed it yet is the problem, and I also have been too chicken *s-word to bring it up because I'm unsure if it will be a problem or not. I've been struggling to come up with extra cash to outright buy another new one which is what I was hoping to have available when telling you about this.

I haven't been f'ing you off or trying to pull a fast one. I can send it by the end of the week as I actually have the saw on my bench ready to pull apart, or please allow me to talk you into being patient for a week or so longer until I get a couple jobs done where I can afford to order another one.

My wife literally just lost her job, so I'm trying my hardest to get caught up and get this stuff taken care of... hence the saw already being on the bench.

For what is worth, it was only ran a couple cuts, which would still make it newer than if I had installed it in the right saw to begin with.

Please don't hesitate to call if you have any questions, concerns, or whatnot.

Me Wait till your wife is employed and you're caught up with whatever financial obligations you may end up behind on. Keep me informed and be honest w me. If need be we can see which dealer can get it for the best price if it's still available through the dealer. Mine normally cuts me pretty good on things, selling to me at his cost instead of markup.

01/31/19

Me Talked to my dealer just now he said he can get piston for $40.81 just letting you know so when funding is available we can get it squared away.

Jim I just have to ask. Is there something wrong with the brand new one I already bought for it?

Me You said last nite that the piston is in another saw. You asked me to be patient till you could remove it or order another one. The one you ordered for it has been run in another cylinder already. I said last nite that it can wait till your wife gets another job and that I would check with my dealer so we could see which route was cheaper for you. It was posted with new OEM piston not one that has been run in another saw as I'm being offered or cleaned up from a previous score as I currently have in my possession. It's one thing for me to buy a saw that has had a new oem piston run in it another to get a saw that has an old scored sanded piston in it and then offered to get the piston that was supposed to be in it but instead placed in another saw. I gave you what you asked for it minus $50 for the B&c that I asked not to be included. I just want what was advertised. Nothing more nothing less.

Jim You will get nothing less and that was my guarantee.

Jim And the point I was trying to make about the piston is that it wasn't "used" in another saw, I only tested it in the saw to see if it ran. A bone stock saw.

Me Whenever you get the time send the piston you have on hand, on to me and we will call this thing done.

Jim I felt I wasn't describing what I have appropriately and that you thought I was trying to push off a good used one on you. It wasn't about persuasion.

I feel bad I'm not very good at communicating through texting. I wish I had just called you instead.

2/14/19

Me I either need my brand new OEM piston in hand ASAP or $40.82 to have my dealer order it up. 1 week and this issue goes on open forum on OPE and AS.

Jim Take it to the forum now! FFS! You obviously think I'm lying to you, so go ahead.

Me Jim my issue is that this has been 3 months, I've sent plenty of friendly reminders and been very patient. In return I've gotten nothing but run around and stories. And per your instruction I will make a forum post shortly.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dale.....Jim.....we are not going to approve a blow by blow argument live in living color between you guys.

Dale asked Jim to make this right in November. To date, he still has yet to get anything but excuses.

Jim, you need to make this right one way or another.

Period.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dale.....Jim.....we are not going to approve a blow by blow argument live in living color between you guys.

Dale asked Jim to make this right in November. To date, he still has yet to get anything but excuses.

Jim, you need to make this right one way or another.

Period.
Understood Randy, my next post on this subject will be to indicate the outcome of this.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well at my request this thread has been unlocked.

I finally tore the saw down and removed the piston. As you would figure there was some transfer left in cylinder from that ugly piston in it. That wasn’t to much problem.
12566EDB-7F72-4139-8A3A-D4288005ABB3.png 4F3EA992-ABA0-442E-932E-C1CFD3263918.png
As can be seen from the photos the piston has been sanded and re ringed and then reinstalled in that condition.
Since this occurred and I placed a comment on a YouTube video of this saw on Jim’s channel.... well you can read what was said for yourself.
79AAB1FA-2C4E-4448-8C56-978BAD5BBFC7.png C8A46516-59C3-46D3-B0FC-00749D49DEFB.png

@jacob j. actually sent a piston for it, it wasn’t that I couldn’t afford a piston for it, that has never been the purpose of this I wanted the builder to make it right. To date Not only has he not done that he has called me a liar concerning it having a scored piston in it when advertised as new oem.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well to add more to this....03D61C02-E209-401C-9108-63ACFFD30D16.png8F1281E9-C05F-48C0-829E-A99872B49180.png

Attachments

• 57DD816F-BF99-4904-8A3B-C856CB916F22.png
    57DD816F-BF99-4904-8A3B-C856CB916F22.png
    452.6 KB · Views: 190

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Holy *s-word on a stick! I'm just now seeing this. Bringing a mans kids in to a conversation is pretty *f-worded up and is worth a trip to the pokey in my book. I mean really I'd turn his hands in to jello so every time he grabbed something he'd remember how bad he *f-worded up. Then again I'm dumb ass hell.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Dub11 Some folks just don’t even deserve the time to make a response to them any more. Unfortunately for him he is one of them. It’s not worth my time to mess with him any longer. My example to my children was what was brought into question vs my children’s actions otherwise it would be worth it. Teaching them that some folks just won’t make things right is a lesson in life, also teaching them when to cut the losses is another important thing to teach them I feel. This seems to be a teaching point for both to me.
Don’t let someone else’s foolish actions determine your actions in life is something that was taught to me however I wish it had been taught to me earlier.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Dub11 Some folks just don’t even deserve the time to make a response to them any more. Unfortunately for him he is one of them. It’s not worth my time to mess with him any longer. My example to my children was what was brought into question vs my children’s actions otherwise it would be worth it. Teaching them that some folks just won’t make things right is a lesson in life, also teaching them when to cut the losses is another important thing to teach them I feel. This seems to be a teaching point for both to me.
Don’t let someone else’s foolish actions determine your actions in life is something that was taught to me however I wish it had been taught to me earlier.

Excellent post Dale.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The only thing worse than a liar is a cheat.

If you got rid of either for xx dollars it was worth it. Case closed. Let your children read that, repeatedly, everyday for a month.