High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
4:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I snapped another pic of the chain so you guys can see the rounded corner of the cutters...it's funny how different picture angles can creat optical illusions...

Oh and as always guys please feel free to critique my chain lol....
View attachment 73069

What angles are you using for semi? They look great.

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
32f1c7dbed35eb8570f9a5de5e32910d.jpg

I go a degree or 2 more on the hook so when I’m in the field filing with a guide my file only takes from the top 1/3 of the cutter and not the gullet so in short fewer passes to be razor sharp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
8:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That's the best way to carry chains.
That is the best way to keep a chain sharp and ready.

Here’s how I carry mine in the woods. Good ole worn out wool socks
Makes a good beer insulator in the winter while grinding in a cold shop. Pull it off the grinder,
wrap it around the beer can. Pull the sock over the bottom. and you don't even have to let go of your beer.
Now your loggin'

Never seen anyone but BC coast fallers wrap chain like that.

We use the Cotton golves "tighty whities"
Loop your end hold in the palm and wrap. Pull the top over and slip it off...hopefully? Yeah you have to flex your hand up a bit with longer chains.

If you drink crown royal those bags work really

Yes that would go well with my 2, 60 OZ plastic Vodka juice bottles. Haha
I wonder what WorkSafe BC thinks when they go up on the hill and every faller is drinking out of Vodka bottles?

So you just put one in the bag tangled?
or coil? Have you seen that?
That's a good way too.

Golve or coil is the way to go.

*Edit...why aren't the picture coming with quote.

Last edited:

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's the best way to carry chains.
That is the best way to keep a chain sharp and ready.

Makes a good beer insulator in the winter while grinding in a cold shop. Pull it off the grinder,
wrap it around the beer can. Pull the sock over the bottom. and you don't even have to let go of your beer.
Now your loggin'

Never seen anyone but BC coast fallers wrap chain like that.

We use the Cotton golves "tighty whities"
Loop your end hold in the palm and wrap. Pull the top over and slip it off...hopefully? Yeah you have to flex your hand up a bit with longer chains.

Yes that would go well with my 2, 60 OZ plastic Vodka juice bottles. Haha
I wonder what WorkSafe BC thinks when they go up on the hill and every faller is drinking out of Vodka bottles?

So you just put one in the bag tangled?
or coil? Have you seen that?
That's a good way too.

Golve or coil is the way to go.

*Edit...why aren't the picture coming with quote.

The crown bags work great to carry chains in plus it’s bright enough to see. I’d be an interesting conversation if you used the cheap booze bottle for a water jug.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
8:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The crown bags work great to carry chains in plus it’s bright enough to see. I’d be an interesting conversation if you used the cheap booze bottle for a water jug.

I always have my back pack and spare bar, wedges and chain with my gas and move them up the hill together. I usually have another cash on the other side middle.
Sometimes I had a saw and gas on each side middle

A wasn't saying not use the bag, I was saying wrap them properly first.
The glove is slick way to protect chain from and bags and it doesn't tangle and clash on itself.

Coiling is a good way too.
Let the chain hang down. Now cross them over at the top end.
Now make loop so there is about an 1 1/2" in the middle (ID) You have to flex it up so it rides on top of the straps. (Strap on top of straps Drivers in, cutters out.
Now that's your bottom lock.
Now it just coils on two high as you go.
Just a slight up pressure as you turn.
Once its coiled then put your palms on each end and give it a bit of twist in opposite directions in the direction its coiled to tighten it up.
Then throw it in the bag. Protected from itself and no tangling. We use a sock and stack then three high, 4 high. Good storage too.
And a great weapon in the truck and hotel rooms. Its hard to justify a rock in a sock in your truck.
but not chain coils.
I bought a few 28"s in Alberta some years back doing fall and burn one winter.
I always check my chain at the counter.
Driver count and check the masters are not too tight. So I coil then or glove wrap them right there.
This time I coil then. There was a couple service guys in front of me and I start coiling the first chain and put it on the counter. I could tell the guys in front of me where frozen there watching. I took a quick glance and there was four of then frozen up like they had seen a ghost. Nobody said a word to each other or moved. That was funny. I said you can keep the boxes and walked out. Lol

Have you ever seen a chain flipped so the drivers end up on the outside?

That's a good rib to do to people.
Especially when they don't no the trick.
You can do it right behind their back to their new chain they are putting on.
"Holly chit it must have come like that"

Friend of mine got fired off a job and flipped every chain they had inside out then left.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We ran a thread on AS about chain storage, and heavy duty / 'freezer' zip lock bags seemed to win.

For 1-chain-per-box look for old VHS cassette cases.

Philbert

Here’s how I carry mine in the woods. Good ole worn out wool socks
I started buying these lately, Stihl 0000 882 5900
DSC00015.JPG DSC08320.JPG

They are stack able, and each box will hold two 72DL 3/8" loops, they come with two removable separator inserts to divide individual loops.
I haven't done so myself but the boxes should be easy to mark with a permanent marker for easy content recognition.

Obviously this is not a free storing solution, but I think it works very well.

These boxes, Stihl round & flat files, and Stihl carbide chains are the only things Stihl I can afford. ;)
DSC08168.JPG Copy of P1030204.JPG Copy of P1030216.JPG

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello guys,this is a Stihl RS 3/8 has been sharpened with stihl fg 2 to 30 angles top plate.and these are the chips of "noodling" cut. :cunaooooo:
tell me the opinions from yours experience.
Cutters look good, and looks like it cuts good.

But I think more of Italy than Greece for noodles!

Philbert

Last edited:

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started buying these lately, Stihl 0000 882 5900
View attachment 174121 View attachment 174122

They are stack able, and each box will hold two 72DL 3/8" loops, they come with two removable separator inserts to divide individual loops.
I haven't done so myself but the boxes should be easy to mark with a permanent marker for easy content recognition.

Obviously this is not a free storing solution, but I think it works very well.

These boxes, Stihl round & flat files, and Stihl carbide chains are the only things Stihl I can afford. ;)
View attachment 174123 View attachment 174126 View attachment 174127
Rather than permanent marker,, suggest painter's tape and a sharpie. I use that to mark my Ziploc and can note how much left on cutters. ie cutting dirty stumps, use mostly gone chain and then to scrap bin

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Permanent marker can be wiped off with a cotton cloth doused in alcohol, as such I have no issues with that myself.

I recently sorted through my chain stock, added three more Stihl boxes in order to toss a couple cardboard ones.
I just placed a marked piece of paper in the boxes on top of the chains, can easily be read through the Stihl box lid.

Tossed a couple "dead" loops in the scrap bin, still have a couple for stump removal purposes.