High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_20180918_120123.jpg
This is a very good angle to bring the leading edge closer to zero degrees like Maloff said is the best for milling. 5-10° wood be mighty fine for me. The trouble is that Madsens has no thinner wheels that wood work. So what is required is to dress one side, flip the wheel , use as long as it can be used, flip to begin all over.
So I ordered the multi diamond dresser and a couple of wheels for me so I can experiment on the log I just got permission to mill. If things go poorly replacemens are on the way, with a couple pairs of socks cause the first pair is fine

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
3:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 141863
This is a very good angle to bring the leading edge closer to zero degrees like Maloff said is the best for milling. 5-10° wood be mighty fine for me. The trouble is that Madsens has no thinner wheels that wood work. So what is required is to dress one side, flip the wheel , use as long as it can be used, flip to begin all over.
So I ordered the multi diamond dresser and a couple of wheels for me so I can experiment on the log I just got permission to mill. If things go poorly replacemens are on the way, with a couple pairs of socks cause the first pair is fine

I have no clue what I am looking at... Show a picture of the tooth that is produced with a wheel shaped like that.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have no clue what I am looking at... Show a picture of the tooth that is produced with a wheel shaped like that.
That wheel setup as it is will cut into the strap prolly enough for failure. The statement I thought I had made is 1) to get this to work the wheel will be dressed and then flipped, unless I can find thinner wheel s The top is in a good plane to bring the toplate cutting edge closer to 0-10°

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The square grinders are a little bit confusing, if someone has not used them before. Different orientation than the conventional, round grinders.

Philbert
Yes absotively correct. It's like carving an elephant from a large stone. Just have to remove everything that doesn't look like an elephant. I'm using the tail end of a reel of chain. The plan of dressing the one side of the wheel and flipping has worked as planned. The cutting edge is between 0-5° ,so far. Now I'm fine tuning the vertical line to get a bit of forward lean. That prolly finishes Wednesday night, and then even out a long enough section to have a loop of test chain Thursday early to try out the theories in use on that loop. Actually milling a log that has been volunteered.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That wheel setup as it is will cut into the strap prolly enough for failure. The statement I thought I had made is 1) to get this to work the wheel will be dressed and then flipped, unless I can find thinner wheel s The top is in a good plane to bring the toplate cutting edge closer to 0-10°
The arbor can move up or down on the shaft
You shouldnt have to dress both sides of the wheel

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The arbor can move up or down on the shaft
You shouldnt have to dress both sides of the wheel
I'm not dressing top & bottom. Flipping the wheel after using the dresser to thin the wheel. Then the outside edge is where I am nowIMG_20180919_083439.jpg
Then back to see if the top plate can be brought closer to zero degrees for the milling I do.
Just because my wheel has stayed in one piece doesn't meen the next will also.
Remember your mileage may vary

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see what you're trying to do, but I'm not sure you have to bother.

For the side plate, tilt the wheel edge dresser toward the motor to increase forward lean.

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see what you're trying to do, but I'm not sure you have to bother.

For the side plate, tilt the wheel edge dresser toward the motor to increase forward lean.
Milling is a bit different animal than usual work saw. I'm in New territory in many ways on this. I'm working on the last of a reel ; not changed since placed on reel. The teeth are way more individual with scattered grinds before I get there, at least they are evened out. Milling uses different self-feeder causes than cross cutting so I test barely leaned into til it's broke, reattached & tested.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just reminded myself how much I hate sharpening dirty chains.

Have a couple of piles to sharpen, and cleaned most of them (water/NaOH degreaser). A few with normal bar oil and dirt from use got thrown in afterwards. The clean chains went very well. The chains with the light layer of oil smoked a bit, which really slowed me down; had to constantly check to see if I was burning cutters or just sawdust and oil. Got my wheels dirty. All STIHL brand chains.

Size matters?

Being 'frugal' I am reluctant to throw away a grinding wheel that still works; figure I will use it until the motor head hits the chain, or the wheel fits onto one of my mini-grinders (same size arbor). But the worn, smaller diameter wheels really do cut slower!
8" diameter = 25.13" circumference
5-3/4" . = 18.1"
4-1/8. .= 12.96"

Assuming the same rotational speed (RPMs), the surface feet per second differences between the grinding wheel rims are huge! Probably increases the likelihood of heating the cutters if not careful?

Philbert

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very true Phil, I'm using a 3/8 pink wheel that's approx worn 1/3 did all my chains then swapped out to a newish hardly used lo pro wheel for pole saw & TH chains. The difference in speed is very noticeable you really need to adjust your technique/pressure to avoid to much heat. I prefer the wheels to be worn a bit say 1/2" to slow things down a little. A few speed settings on a grinder would be a good feature! I too use a wheel as long as I am allowed and when they get small in diameter it would be good to up the rpm & also slow it down a little on new wheels. I suppose the 3200?rpm of a 511 motor is a compromise set speed that Tecomech decided works best for all conditions. But I'd love to be able to tune that speed!

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That one looks pretty crusty. Let me know if you need any parts.
I’ll clean it up to see how it really looks. It has got an outrageous layer of dust on it. Guy said he had 12 of these. This was the last of them. The last one he got rid of, he gave to his uncle. Lol.
Everything seems to be nice and tight so far. Motor is quiet. I think it just sat, and collected dust for quite some time.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you found one. An hours worth of elbow grease and it will be looking much better. Brake cleaner works wonders, just be careful of where it goes. Stay away from the compressed air method.

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the price the downside to buying a new simmington, or does it have design flaws that people are not fond of?