High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Chiming in with a relevant question here: I'm getting ready to buy a new grinder. I'm suck between the Oregon 620, the Tecomec Super Jolly and the Maxx. They're all self clamping, The Tecomecs have lights and the Maxx doesn't. Do the other two have the same range of adjustment of the Maxx? I have no problem spending money on a good product, but want buy he best I can for the $$$. Mostly 3/8" but there will be some 3/8lp, .325 and .404 thrown in.

J.Walker

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a Maxx grinder. It's taken alot of time to get it dialed in for 3/8's chain but it works good now. I had trouble with it grinding more on the right side than the left. Shimming the motor out helped evening the cuts out. When I put the CBN wheel on the grinder it changed the cutting center again. I removed the shims and it's grinding the teeth equal on both sides now. I think the paper backer on the Mobob wheel was changing the balance between the left and right teeth. The CBN wheel has no paper backer and is working good for 3/8's chain.
I attached the 325 CBN wheel to the Maxx and I could not tighten the nut to stop the grinding wheel from spinning on the arbor shaft. I ended up putting a paper backer on one side of the grinding wheel to take up some space so everything would tighten up.
I like the Maxx grinder. The Maxx with the auto clamping is faster for doing chains than my Oregon grinder with the hand clamp.
The instructions with the Maxx grinder are a joke so be prepaired for some fustration at first.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never used the Maxx, so can't compare. One difference is that the Maxx grinder allows you to sharpen cutters on both sided from the 'outside-in', so you don't get the burr on one side (disappears immediately, but some guys don't like to see it). The Oregon / Tecomec grinders are more common, and easy to get parts for.

Philbert

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Apparently the Maxx does have a light. Probably going with that one. I like the additional head travel.
For Round chisel, does 25/10/50-55° work for a decently fast work chain in hardwood, (3/8") or would I be better off starting off at 30/0/55°?

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For Round chisel, does 25/10/50-55° work for a decently fast work chain in hardwood, (3/8") or would I be better off starting off at 30/0/55°?

What I do, is match the last two angles to what the factory says. Then the first angle you are talking about, the top angle, I usually set top to 30*. It’s a good compromise between aggressive bite and durability on the cutting edge. And tune your depth gauges to the power of the saw.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Please post your comments and experience with it here (or start its own thread) to share with the rest of us.

Philbert
Will do. I also have one of the CBN wheels coming for it (3/16") as it'll be used for 3/8" and eventually .404" far more than anything else. If he CBN wheel works well enough, I'l buy he 1/8" version. I liked the look of he Dynasaw slotted wheel, but that's a bit more than I want to pay right now and am not sure if it's worth it. I seem to recall a post about it on A.S. but it's been awhile since I'e been over there.

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will do. I also have one of the CBN wheels coming for it (3/16") as it'll be used for 3/8" and eventually .404" far more than anything else. If he CBN wheel works well enough, I'l buy he 1/8" version. I liked the look of he Dynasaw slotted wheel, but that's a bit more than I want to pay right now and am not sure if it's worth it. I seem to recall a post about it on A.S. but it's been awhile since I'e been over there.
Hey did you ever get a grinder...

Interested in your thoughts...

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did. I'll have to take some pics. I just got my .375/.404 CBN wheel this week and haven't been able to use it yet. So far I like it. The directions, as commented on, are nearly worthless. But, with the various videos and threads I was up and running in about 30 min. I have done about 14 chains so far and will be doing some testing soon to see what angles I like. But, so far the edges feel very nice. Al in all, I'm pretty impressed with a few minor errors on my part notwithstanding.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did. I'll have to take some pics. I just got my .375/.404 CBN wheel this week and haven't been able to use it yet. So far I like it. The directions, as commented on, are nearly worthless. But, with the various videos and threads I was up and running in about 30 min. I have done about 14 chains so far and will be doing some testing soon to see what angles I like. But, so far the edges feel very nice. Al in all, I'm pretty impressed with a few minor errors on my part notwithstanding.
Did you try any of the Chains yet...

ken morgan

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
anybody got some info on how to clean the CBN wheels? I got mine off of ebay from europe and it came with no instructions, just a little ceramic or stone like block that I think is for either celaning or dressing, not sure though. Ihave sharpened about 20 chains on my techomek with it and its probably time for cleaning of the wheel.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
anybody got some info on how to clean the CBN wheels? I got mine off of ebay from europe and it came with no instructions, just a little ceramic or stone like block that I think is for either celaning or dressing, not sure though. Ihave sharpened about 20 chains on my techomek with it and its probably time for cleaning of the wheel.
I have done hundred or more Chains, and I didn’t know any real clogging of my wheels....however I did use the white “cleaning stick” that was sent with the wheel, just to see what happened....

How do you like the wheel compared to the stone wheels????

ken morgan

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Seems fine, I never really got to use the stone before I broke it. I had it sitting against the teeth so that I could dial it in and I grabbed the lever to tighten the chain in place and did not have the bottom degree locknut tightened enough. the whole thing rotated and broke the wheel. I was like well crud... my plan was to use the stone wheel to learn with and order a CBN to replace it with when I wore the abrasive stone out...went straight to the CBN so????

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . I broke it. I had it sitting against the teeth so that I could dial it in and I grabbed the lever to tighten the chain in place and did not have the bottom degree locknut tightened enough. the whole thing rotated and broke the wheel.
Been there.

Done that.

Philbert

Last edited:

bottlefed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hello all, New to grinding and hope to upgrade to a CBN wheel when the current one goes south. In regard to cleaning are CBN wheel used in sharpeners commonly made with a vitrified bond? When researching wheels for my concrete saw I read that CBN wheels often incorporate a resin bond....it would seem like using a strong solvent for cleaning could degrade the bond?