High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
5:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So last week while we were out doing our annual wood cutting trip my son comes up to me with a distressed look on his face. He says:"I accidentally hit the dirt dad". I thought back to a time when I was his age saying the exact same thing to my dad. With the same look on my face, When I did that my dad got very angry & threw the chainsaw in the back of the truck and "said... great!....Now we're done for the day! " I never forgot how terrible I felt, and at the time never knew how to sharpen the chain.I was so very sorry to have ruined the day.

Fast forward 30 years now my son has done the same thing. I looked him in the eye and told him, it's no big deal it happens to the best of us. I told him also that I was proud of him for stopping and bringing it to my attention. I explained that continuing to cut would not only wear him out but possibly damage the saw as well, and not get any work done to boot. Then I showed him how to slap on another fresh chain and we were back in business not even three minutes later. Then I showed him how to avoid hitting the dirt in the future by cutting 3/4 of the way through rolling the log and then finishing with an up cut, I think my dad would've been proud at that teachable moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lot of wisdom in those words...

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Code_Red

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I did a quick search and couldn’t find anything on the forum but I had a friend recommend a jolly sharpener instead of the Oregon and from what little I can find it doesn’t look like there’s much difference between the Jolly and the Oregon 620 with the hydraulic clamp at the Jolly is $150 cheaper does anybody have any experience or input on them?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . from what little I can find it doesn’t look like there’s much difference between the Jolly and the Oregon 620 . . .
Tecomec makes most of the Oregon grinders - they are also sold under the 'Jolly' name. These are not clones.

However, in some cases, there are different features on the Oregon models such as: built-in lights; 'down angle' grinding; compensation for wheel wear / centering, etc. Hard to tell without seeing them side-by-side. Not sure about any differences between the hydraulic models.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/Hydraulic-Assisted-Bench-Grinder,-120V/p/620-120

http://www.tecomec.com/schede/superjolly/index.htm

Philbert

Code_Red

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tecomec makes most of the Oregon grinders - they are also sold under the 'Jolly' name. These are not clones.

However, in some cases, there are different features on the Oregon models such as: built-in lights; 'down angle' grinding; compensation for wheel wear / centering, etc. Hard to tell without seeing them side-by-side. Not sure about any differences between the hydraulic models.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/Hydraulic-Assisted-Bench-Grinder,-120V/p/620-120

http://www.tecomec.com/schede/superjolly/index.htm

Philbert

Philbert, thank you so much. I was looking at the two models you posted. I can’t seem to find any difference on baileys besides price?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are probably identical. Maybe call Bailey's (during the day when their main staff are there, NOT at night when only the order takers answer the phone), or write them, and ask, since they sell both?

Philbert

Code_Red

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They are probably identical. Maybe call Bailey's (during the day when their main staff are there, NOT at night when only the order takers answer the phone), or write them, and ask, since they sell both?

Philbert

I will go that route. Thanks.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Like Pilbert said the differences between the Oregon 620 and the super Jolly hydraulic assist grinder are primarily cosmetic, and you’re right at Bailey’s there is $150 difference between the Oregon 620 grinder at $569 and the super jolly at $419.
However, Russo Power Equipment has the Oregon 620 hydraulic assist grinder for much cheaper than baileys at less than $400, (and that is with an extra grinding wheel.) This is why I opted to buy from Russo power equipment. My Oregon 620 (bought from Russo) has been very durable and does an excellent job Should you want to opt for the Oregon 620 version:
http://www.russopower.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Oregon+hydraulic+grinder

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Heck, Amazons got it even cheaper…
7507f4603414a8314143c19b7d6c2917.jpg

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya I think I paid $320 for my Oregon 520 off eBay

Code_Red

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
wow thats such a price difference from baileys. Guess its worth shopping around for sure.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya shop around for sure...here is one for $300
31A12DC8-F8A2-4AD0-814E-D1FD685E69CC.png

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you guys are killing me... quit posting these "deals". :roto2lol:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, for someone in my shoes where im not sharpening to make a living and just want to learn on a bench grinder, that seems like a great price.
Double check with @Philbert but I believe the tecomec are made basics just like Oregon’s....I know a lot of guys like them....

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Double check with @Philbert but I believe the tecomec are made basics just like Oregon’s....
As I understand it, Tecomec makes most of Oregon's grinders, but the Oregon grinders may have different features (built-in light, double clamping vise, grinding wheel centering adjustment, etc.) on different models, along with different warranties and support. But the quality of the grinders should be identical, compared to the clone grinders.

Philbert

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have any of the tecomec grinders @Philbert ???

Last edited: