High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Philbert did you get your wheels threw eBay????

Diamond Wheel, Inc. via Amazon.com

Any recommendations on the oil? And how often would I oil them?
Thank you

One manufacturer told me to not use WD-40. They said that the solvent wipes off the lubricant. I just use a thin (3-in-One) oil; a drop on each tooth, then run the blades for a few seconds to spread it out. After each use.

Philbert

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
6:54 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked up a Foley Belsaw model 394 sharpener a few months ago. I found a manual for the model 308 that explains the settings for traditional round grinding, but I have read somewhere that this model can also do square grinding. The chain vise has a slide adjustment that allows the vise to slide forward or backward under the wheel, and I think that may be what allows this model to square grind, but I'm not sure. I have scoured the web but cannot find any literature on this model grinder.

Does anyone here have any information regarding the model 394?

IMG_20171125_220305.jpg IMG_20171125_220138.jpg IMG_20171125_220002.jpg IMG_20171125_220205.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry, no info on that unit.

But you can find manuals for the Silvey square grinders, and see how they do square grind. Then see if your grinder lets you duplicate that. Maybe there was s special vise ?

Philbert

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got this Foley 308 today. I played with it for a few minutes. Top plate at 30 degrees, back adjustment at 25. Then I went to 25/25. It's not bad, but do y'all think I need to go to 30 on the back for more hook?
IMG_6841.PNG IMG_6842.PNG IMG_6844.JPG IMG_6845.JPG

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Start with a chain that you like, and see if you can 'match' it with the grinder. Then write those settings down. The numbers will be different on different machines.

Philbert

I will experiment and see what works. I like this grinder already. Major upgrade over my harbor freight grinder.

J.Walker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Bought the Kool-Aid, but . . .

I have been sharpening with a chain grinder for a number of years. Learned a lot of things; still open to learning more, Got pretty comfortable using conventional ('vitrified') aluminum oxide (AO) wheels, and with 'resinoid' wheels. But read many enthusiastic posts about CBN wheels, so finally broke down and bought a set of 1/8" and 3/16" wheels for my Oregon 511A grinder from Diamond Wheel, Inc. Used them on a few loops, and to twist a quote from 'Thelma & Louise', still haven't found out 'what all the shouting is about'.

Used them side-by-side with 'pink', 'brown', and resinoid wheels on similar chains, switching back-and-forth between loops. They definitely produce less dust than conventional wheels, and don't produce the smell that resinoid wheels give off. But they were not any faster, and the finish was not any better IMO.

Specifically, I am having a problem where they are more likely to raise the chrome plating right at the edge. I can dress the AO wheels if they do this, but not sure what to do with these CBN wheels. Is there a 'break-in' period? Do I need to dress them with that white stick when new? I have a call in to the sales office, but would be interested to hear from others if they have or have 'solved' this problem.

Philbert

I have two CBN wheels also and was shocked to find that edge of chrome at the top of the cutter. I find it on both the L & R cutters. Never had this problem with my pink wheels. I'm open to suggestions.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two CBN wheels also and was shocked to find that edge of chrome at the top of the cutter. I find it on both the L & R cutters. Never had this problem with my pink wheels. I'm open to suggestions.

Hard to understand the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
12:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Maybe you need a cooling system?
We use a automatic chain grinding machine which is cooled with air/liquid.
We have those pink wheels and some CBN wheels.
CBN wheels need a cleaning every 8-10 chains.
I think it has something to do with the oil on those chains. If you put the chains in the ultrasonic washer right before there the CBN wheel will grind 20-25 chains without cleaning.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it has something to do with the oil on those chains. If you put the chains in the ultrasonic washer right before there the CBN wheel will grind 20-25 chains without cleaning.
I always clean my chains before sharpening; I use a water-based degreaser containing sodium hydroxide, followed by a rinse, and dry. I re-lubricate after sharpening.

Philbert

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just got this Foley 308 today. I played with it for a few minutes. Top plate at 30 degrees, back adjustment at 25. Then I went to 25/25. It's not bad, but do y'all think I need to go to 30 on the back for more hook?
View attachment 101838 View attachment 101839 View attachment 101841 View attachment 101842
Hey nice grinder....how do the Chains cut, have you tried them yet???

I know when I first got the grinder I thought wow, a tiny adjustment here it there can make a huge difference, and it does!!!

As @Philbert said, put a new chain on and try to match that setting for a “base setting”....after you get used to that you can start experimenting, and that’s we’re you can really dial in a chain!!!

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey nice grinder....how do the Chains cut, have you tried them yet???

I know when I first got the grinder I thought wow, a tiny adjustment here it there can make a huge difference, and it does!!!

As @Philbert said, put a new chain on and try to match that setting for a “base setting”....after you get used to that you can start experimenting, and that’s we’re you can really dial in a chain!!!

I'm still getting the feel for it. I'm working on version #2 of settings now, to try and see how they cut. Little less hook, to hopefully make the edge last longer.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm still getting the feel for it. I'm working on version #2 of settings now, to try and see how they cut. Little less hook, to hopefully make the edge last longer.
Sounds good....you will find the right recipe, can be a pain at first, but it can be done...

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey I just seen this....

Let me ask ya, is the burr you are talking about paper thin....I have gotten those burrs, BUT it is littlerally paper thin, I mean just barely touching it will break it off...

@Philbert is the burr you got pretty thick or very thin....

I personally think it’s just the very top chrome layer....