High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Chainsaw grinder questions, tips, tricks, and pics!!!!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quality control at the CBN factory? Different size grit?

I was having more problems with the STIHL chain I was grinding, than the Rotary 'Copperhead' chain, so try them on the same loop.

Philbert

DustGrind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The USG has that attachment for hedge blades which is really clever. I just did 2 kombi pole hedge trimmer blade sets. Each set has 2 blades with 31 teeth on each blade that have 2 faces on each tooth. So that's 122 edges you need to sharpen for a small kombi attachment. I did two! I remove blades from gearbox, dissasemble them, then using a Roloc™ scotchbrite 2" disc clean both sides of the blades & the other two metal guides and flat spring to remove all the sap crud build up. Then sharpen the teeth. If you look at the inner face of the blades (flat side) you will see how much metal you need to remove to create a burr to sharpen. Its a bit like a chainsaw tooth you need to take the surface back to 'clean' metal not just touch up the face. After sharpening I knock the burrs off with a flat sandpaper block. Otherwise the hedgetrimmer may not run as all them burrs prevent the blades from sliding free. While your at it, its a good time to service the gearbox buy replacing old grease with new. If you want clean cuts on the hedges you trim sharp blades are imperative. You can always inspect a hedge and tell whether the guy who trimmed it had sharp blades or not. Clean cut VS tear. IME most commercial guys don't have sharp blades & risk disease to the hedges they do as torn cuts don't heal well and are prone to infection. Clean cuts with good oiled blades ensure the health of the tree.

DustGrind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The USG has that attachment for hedge blades which is really clever. I just did 2 kombi pole hedge trimmer blade sets. Each set has 2 blades with 31 teeth on each blade that have 2 faces on each tooth. So that's 122 edges you need to sharpen for a small kombi attachment. I did two! I remove blades from gearbox, dissasemble them, then using a Roloc™ scotchbrite 2" disc clean both sides of the blades & the other two metal guides and flat spring to remove all the sap crud build up. Then sharpen the teeth. If you look at the inner face of the blades (flat side) you will see how much metal you need to remove to create a burr to sharpen. Its a bit like a chainsaw tooth you need to take the surface back to 'clean' metal not just touch up the face. After sharpening I knock the burrs off with a flat sandpaper block. Otherwise the hedgetrimmer may not run as all them burrs prevent the blades from sliding free. While your at it, its a good time to service the gearbox buy replacing old grease with new. If you want clean cuts on the hedges you trim sharp blades are imperative. You can always inspect a hedge and tell whether the guy who trimmed it had sharp blades or not. Clean cut VS tear. IME most commercial guys don't have sharp blades & risk disease to the hedges they do as torn cuts don't heal well and are prone to infection. Clean cuts with good oiled blades ensure the health of the tree.
To be honest, I have never oiled my blades.
Any recommendations on the oil? And how often would I oil them?
Thank you

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be honest, I have never oiled my blades.
Any recommendations on the oil? And how often would I oil them?
Thank you
I use whatever rattle can oil (WD-40, One Lube, etc) I have laying around.
Not penetrating fluid (Liquid Wrench, Rust Off, Break Free), but oil

Every time I start them up and every hour of use, I give a quick spray

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried my newest CBN wheel today. No burning of the cutters. Baffles me why the 5th CBN wheel burns the cutters so bad with the same grinding style as the others.
I would call them and exchange it. Not sure what company you've dealt with? The one I do, Diamond Wheel, has excellent customer service.

DustGrind

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use whatever rattle can oil (WD-40, One Lube, etc) I have laying around.
Not penetrating fluid (Liquid Wrench, Rust Off, Break Free), but oil

Every time I start them up and every hour of use, I give a quick spray
Sounds good, didn't know if I needed to use something special, why not penetrating oil? What does or doesn't do?
Thank you again

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Penetrating oil tends to be very thin and have additives that allow the fluid to wet out easier, also flashing off earlier than lube oils. The shears are sliding and rubbing against each other, a fine grade of lube oil works best

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried my newest CBN wheel today. No burning of the cutters. Baffles me why the 5th CBN wheel burns the cutters so bad with the same grinding style as the others.
What all brands do you have if you don’t mind me asking....

And if you have a few different brands of CBN wheels, which have you found to be the best???

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What all brands do you have if you don’t mind me asking....

And if you have a few different brands of CBN wheels, which have you found to be the best???

The CBN that burn is from ebay user diamond_wheel. The others CBNs are all ordered from diamond wheel inc website or phone number. I have one diamond wheel for carbide from baileys which came from diamond wheel. The other diamond wheel for carbide came from diamond wheel direct.

I will call them about the wheel that burns later. Problem is I ordered it Oct 15 2015. But not used much because it burns.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The CBN that burn is from ebay user diamond_wheel. The others CBNs are all ordered from diamond wheel inc website or phone number. I have one diamond wheel for carbide from baileys which came from diamond wheel. The other diamond wheel for carbide came from diamond wheel direct.

I will call them about the wheel that burns later. Problem is I ordered it Oct 15 2015. But not used much because it burns.
That is strange because I believe that is the Diamond wheel conpmay itself....

I believe that is who I got my CBNs from and it came in the white box, with the white cleaning stick from Diamond wheel co....

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Called at 11:55 the engineer is gone for the day but the guy I talked to was very helpful. Hope to figure out more on Monday. Said it is possible I got a bad one. Said about 1 in a 1000 are not prefect. Could have a higher percentage of crystals exposed.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
some professional arborists will rinse the cutting blades with rubbing alchohol (usually wipe them town with medical towelettes) and then coat them with dormant oil before moving off of the property to prevent the spread of infections between plant material
I have a new USG with the hedge trimmer attachment and some other goodies if anyone is interested :)
Dave