Chainsaw fixing school

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious where you'll got all your experience/knowledge? Wether is was a a book or a school or a shop/mentor. I'm sure a lot of the porting and such is "try and see if this works" type, but we all had to start somewhere.

My dad is a machinist but not all that engine savvy. So I got my start taking apart the family lawnmower and putting it back together again. Then some minor fixes and so on. I consider myself able to do a lot of stuff but still learning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just curious where you'll got all your experience/knowledge? Wether is was a a book or a school or a shop/mentor. I'm sure a lot of the porting and such is "try and see if this works" type, but we all had to start somewhere.

My dad is a machinist but not all that engine savvy. So I got my start taking apart the family lawnmower and putting it back together again. Then some minor fixes and so on. I consider myself able to do a lot of stuff but still learning.

You would or maybe you wouldn't be surprised about what you can learn from YouTube University or Google ! Just literally type in your question, somewhere in the world wide web someone has answered your question and probably done an instructional video! Anything you can imagine is out there,for example just to test my theory I just googled, I got my finger stuck in my nose.how do I remove? And guess what, first thing that popped up a children's book,next medical threads on removing a foreign object from your nasal cavity with videos,Now if you're young this probably doesn't surprise you but in the 70's when I was young this was science fiction ! But you have the right idea apprenticeship,which these days means get a job in the trade that corresponds with the info/knowledge you seek. But until then continue with the magic box with buttons that I am communicating with you thru!!! Matt...:thinking:. :watchout:. :BangHead:
And there is this other place I know of with a lot of really smart people,that for the most part will bend over backwards to help a brother out I like to hang out with them, cause then other people think I'm smart to. welcome to OPE! I'm new also and the word is,going to be banned soon. :-(

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I learned chainsaws from these guys....
That's what I was trying to tell him,but I think it might have gotten lost in the long winded translation....
Someone should probably tell him that you have several unstable members that you keep around out of pure sympathy...
Okay I promise I won't accost any more new members,just send me the ones you're mad at....:oops:

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Don't shy away from the more difficult to work on saws poulans stihl husky clammies and especially cut off saws once tou learn those pro saws are cake.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First don't be afraid ask questions and try things of not a brand new unit. Find thrown away equipment to learn on. A lot of what I know now is large truck load 2 cycle machine that another was just going to get of rid of and he was glad I cleaned up the mess.

There will a lot willing and experience folks to help but there also will those that are wise acres so you might need some tough skin at times but most members will correct them fairly quickly. Personally I haven't gotten into the porting and power building of saws although i do learn a lot just reading the posts here and on other forums.

As said someone somewhere has most likely done what you're trying do.

Welcome to the Forum.

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't shy away from the more difficult to work on saws poulans stihl husky clammies and especially cut off saws once tou learn those pro saws are cake.
I thought those were easy ones. Now you tell they are difficult ones. I was figuring those I that haven't split case on yet was going to be the difficult ones.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought those were easy ones. Now you tell they are difficult ones. I was figuring those I that haven't split case on yet was going to be the difficult ones.
They are all the same to me now but even the 290 stihls and husky 455s were a new animal back then being used to 60s -2000s tech lol

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody get into other two-stroke modding? Weedeackers, ice drills, leaf blowers?
A friend of mine buys and sells lawnmowers on Craigslist and has no interest in 2stroke. I told him I'd take everything he doesn't want just to expand my knowledge and possibly start porting some low value 2strokes.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i took three years of small engine, auto mechanics and later FFA ag mechanics at WKU under extra credits when i was a junior and senior.
but any internal combustion engine i have worked on them since 10 yrs old.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anybody get into other two-stroke modding? Weedeackers, ice drills, leaf blowers?
A friend of mine buys and sells lawnmowers on Craigslist and has no interest in 2stroke. I told him I'd take everything he doesn't want just to expand my knowledge and possibly start porting some low value 2strokes.

Old moto x bikes and hill climb bikes and rc car engines were a pain. So frickin small

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks you said it for me lol
Wish i still had all the dt and rt yamahas 125 175 250 360 yz 80 100 125 250 it425 yz490 mx 500 tt xt 500s xt600
Honda elsinores 125 250 xl 250 xl 500 cr 125 250 500 Suzuki 750 water buffaloes triple cylinder 2 strokes trail 90s p.e.175 rm 125 250 kawasaki kx 125 250 500s
I've lost count but they were fun too work on now i can't find a decent bike to work on metal prices went up any old bikes were crushed the past 10 year's.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've lost count but they were fun too work on now i can't find a decent bike to work on metal prices went up any old bikes were crushed the past 10 year's.

Amen brother! High scrap prices got rid of A LOT of old iron. From bikes to 4wheelers, saws, outboard motors, even older tools like drill presses and table saws, and press brakes. All stuff that was in good working condition and maybe needed a little TLC. And was designed to last 100 years.
Now all we have left is cheap Chineese crap that was made from the scrap we sold them.