Chainsaw cleaning best practices

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an old ass Sanden belt drive compressor. The compressor part works great but the tank and fittings are full of leaks. I really need to have it replumbed some time.
Timed automatic tank drains the tank perodically of condensate and extends tank life

Dolmar Junkie

Not interested in rehab, just more Saws...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
WD40 to soak the grime, then compressed air. Simple Green and waterhose. This is an excellent 20 gal. CompressorView attachment 110795
That does look appealing, a mobile compressor that has enough guts to actually do compressor stuff and stuff, how many cfm@90psi? 5 years is a Jam up warranty.
I don't guess I need a mobile compressor as much as I would like to have one, similar to yours or a wheelbarrow unit, but in the end not overly necessary since I have over a quarter of a mile of air hose...(it was on clearance :rolleyes:)

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That does look appealing, a mobile compressor that has enough guts to actually do compressor stuff and stuff, how many cfm@90psi? 5 years is a Jam up warranty.
I don't guess I need a mobile compressor as much as I would like to have one, similar to yours or a wheelbarrow unit, but in the end not overly necessary since I have over a quarter of a mile of air hose...(it was on clearance :rolleyes:)
5.6cfm @90. Enough for my lil shop work

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unless you're painting cars or running a 3/4" impact all day it appears to be a good one, with a real pump and beefy components to back it up...
That is Nothern Tools house brand and appears to be a rebadged Puma 20 gal and a Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate. Nothern Tools provides complete schematics for all parts and keeps all parts in stock. The service center for my warranty is about 30 minutes away

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is Nothern Tools house brand and appears to be a rebadged Puma 20 gal and a Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate. Nothern Tools provides complete schematics for all parts and keeps all parts in stock. The service center for my warranty is about 30 minutes away
Good information, I imagine that they keep a lot of parts that will cross with other brands, in a pinch, I think that northern would be a good place to start, if looking for parts...

Last edited:

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good information, I imagine that they keep a lot of parts that will cross with other brands, in a pinch, I think that northern would be a good place to start if looking for parts...
I called before purchasing and inquired on parts, stock, schematics, warranty work, etc. So far they have been excellent

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I called before purchasing and inquired on parts, stock, schematics, warranty work, etc. So far they have been excellent
Real world reviews, that is what makes this whole internet purchasing, globalization thing possible and pleasurable! Thanks, Matt

Keith Gandy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Real world reviews, that is what makes this whole internet purchasing, globalization thing possible and pleasurable! Thanks, Matt
When a company uses a top quality oil like Amsoil for their rebadged house brand that tells me they probably are concerned with quality and flows over into the quality of the compressors too apparent from the warranty

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cleaning a saw? What for?
TDRWDU standards require it and results would be invalid if cleaning protocols were not strictly adhered to.
And it gives us an opportunity to discuss air compressors and other random dribbling.

Key:
1"=1", North=up, TDRWDU= To determine real world daily usage
Nothing else to scale, purposely...

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
most i have done is compressed air b4 i sell. Those that I use 288/ 440 hybrid/ 357xpw, get the saw dust tamped off the clutch cover at most. Check filters as needed. Don't reckon I ever really qualified as a PSP, I bought based upon condition (always) and wasn't abusive, so I didnt take a huge hit on resale. My favorite saw is my ugliest- 288xp, tied for second is the hybrid and the 357xpw depending on what Im cutting on.

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I still get a bubble bath with mine
I wasn't comfortable admitting that, but since you brought it up, I have to say that you're not doing it right unless you and your saw bathe with the wonderful Klotz candles with their lovely 2T Benol scent, put a few wood chips in your mouth and eyes and you will think you're in Heaven, I always use a few dirt clumps to simulate a day at the dirt bike spa...
Here are the aforementioned candles
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Klotz-Candle-Benol-Castor-Scent-/232337410539

Dolmar Junkie

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wasn't comfortable admitting that, but since you brought it up, I have to say that you're not doing it right unless you and your saw bathe with the wonderful Klotz candles with their lovely 2T Benol scent, put a few wood chips in your mouth and eyes and you will think you're in Heaven, I always use a few dirt clumps to simulate a day at the dirt bike spa...
Here are the aforementioned candles
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Klotz-Candle-Benol-Castor-Scent-/232337410539

Klotz also make a superb octane booster, not recommended for bathing...

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
7:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
For cleaning after use, air and a rag.
For a build, Zep purple power with a hot water rinse, tooth brush and picks then USC with mean green, followed by another rinse in just warm water, do not let the purple power on for any amount of time, it will fade items but it cleans better then any other cleaner I have found, great on really grimy saws.