Chains information

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know the subject is in here somewhere so maybe point me in the right direction or we can do a repeat...wanting to try going run .325 on a modded 60cc class saw with the sprocket diameter larger for higher chain speed. Wondering if there is a weight difference in the entirety of a system...ie. Bar&chain& sprocket vs. just going 3/8 and a light bar. AND is there any benefit in cutting speed in hard wood along with changes in wear time. I had heard Oregon was going to release a new series of chain, don't know if that fits into the discussion as well. Might be a fun project to do, just comparing different chain setups....BUT if anyone already has, why reinvent the wheel?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
.325 is normally slightly narrower, but it has more drivers. That may negate the weight difference.
Some smaller saws are faster with .325, some with 3/8. I'd think you'd be better with 3/8, given its a modded 60cc saw.
The added space between cutters, coupled with taller cutters, would also allow more chip clearance, which would come into play somewhere around 24" dia wood.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. For the hell of it stihl chain seems to be the fastest of the 325 the cutters seem taller. I don't personally know if that is a true fact just seems faster and taller to me. I don't even like stihl chain however the one loop I have I keep on a 346 because of the aggressiveness of it. It could be in my head I tried stihl chisel vs Oregon chisel. Just seemed faster outta the box. I'm pretty confident I could tweak either one to outcut the other but fresh brand new the stihl is more aggressive and grabby

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Personally I think on a hot 60 cc the 3/8 will be the performer Hold up longer most likely be faster 325 to me is for the lighter saws the 346 I could go either way it's ported and has some nasty to it Only use 325 to keep the number of different size loops down

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
a couple of the Oregon speedcut bars arrived but the chains to go with them are on backorder yet again, I planned to try them on a few "purely stock" saws for the heck of it
Dave
speedcut chain is available through loggerchain.com i believe.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
i use stihl 23rs or 26rs personally seems to me oregon 20lpx and 22lpx has went down the drain in quality
same applies to the bigger 3/8 oregon chain. i pretty much try to use stihl chain these days.
others here seem to have better luck with oregon chains here than i do.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You ever try Carlton chain Jake? Very hard cutter. I like it.

I would go 3/8 all the way on the OP's saw.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup. Me too. Works well for me.
LOL, just realized there are 2 Jake's responding here.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did stock up on some Oregon due to left coast having that big sale. Preference is Carlton though

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same for me. Oregon is fine as well. One could not avoid stocking up with that web special price. Awesome deal. [emoji106]

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also bought some of the 3/8 Oregon chain on sale at left coast....I haven't used the 3/8 yet....but I did use some .325 Oregon full-chisel yesterday....

Before I went to cut I ground the .325 full-chisel chain on my new Oregon 520 grinder....i used the down angle adjustment for the first time, and it worked very well..... I put the chain on my 026 with an 18" bar, and it cut the white oak I am cutting great....I went threw 2-tanks of fuel and it was still cutting great when I finished for the day....if the Oregon 3/8 chain holds up like the .325(which I think it will), I will be very happy with the Oregon chain!!!!!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Oregon may have had a bad batch or two years ago. The more recent stuff I've used has been good to me. I got several loops from a member here last year. Good stuff If you're cutting green wood I don't think it much matters what you use. It's that old dead standing oak that really tests a chain out

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya I was shocked it didn't stretch at all....I sure hope the $15 dollar 25" loops I got hold up the same lol....I also got some 20" loops for $9.99, heck you can't go wrong there!!!!

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I know the subject is in here somewhere so maybe point me in the right direction or we can do a repeat...wanting to try going run .325 on a modded 60cc class saw with the sprocket diameter larger for higher chain speed. Wondering if there is a weight difference in the entirety of a system...ie. Bar&chain& sprocket vs. just going 3/8 and a light bar. AND is there any benefit in cutting speed in hard wood along with changes in wear time. I had heard Oregon was going to release a new series of chain, don't know if that fits into the discussion as well. Might be a fun project to do, just comparing different chain setups....BUT if anyone already has, why reinvent the wheel?
If your interested....I did a bit of swapping about with sprockets..chains in the .."Fat ass dolmars" thread in the chainsaw forum. About page 12 onwards I think.