radio

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It does sound like case hardened cutters due to overly aggressive grinding. But t4driller said he saw no overheating discoloration. hmmm.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It does sound like case hardened cutters due to overly aggressive grinding. But t4driller said he saw no overheating discoloration. hmmm.
Some more pics trying to show the color of it. There's no signs of being heated up that I can see. The only thing that stands out to me is under the top plate I can see a line. I'm assuming it's the plating and it looks alot thicker then the other chains I have.
34bb86aa9fe264189be68814c91b46ca.jpg
d0a2098870828bd7c3bf7e166ca0ad82.jpg
71c8187bcd1151d92d283cc4e9d6c320.jpg

radio

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some more pics trying to show the color of it. There's no signs of being heated up that I can see. The only thing that stands out to me is under the top plate I can see a line. I'm assuming it's the plating and it looks alot thicker then the other chains I have.

The first thing to do is to touch up one of the cutters with the grinder and then see if it is easier to file.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember I had a Stihl chain that was just like you are describing....the only thing I did, was grab an older file, and "hog" some material out....it seemed like you are saying, there was just a really hard part in some of the cutters, it was very strange....I didn't have a grinder at the time, so I had to make do....

I will say like you I found it very strange!!!!

I have not had that problem agian...

Last edited:

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Add me to the list as I had one several years ago that I couldn't sharpen either on a customer machine. Just ended up installing a new chain. The chain was pretty messed up anyway and time was pressing on the repair.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That could be a good thing. Hold a edge better once you do get an edge. I like carlton and stihl chains on my saws
I forgot all about this chain.. It's hanging on a nail somewhere. When3vwr I bought that dealer out I got a bunch of chains that homelite saws. Was a couple old stihl chains in there is like to use, but the dl count is a lil short for the stihl bars I have. Need to take some apart and make them longer/shorter. The ones I've used seemed to be better then the new stihl chain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's no signs of being heated up that I can see. The only thing that stands out to me is under the top plate I can see a line. I'm assuming it's the plating and it looks alot thicker then the other chains I have.
The chrome layer is very thin. While it is possible that the cutter was hardened in the manufacturing process (typically not heat treated properly) it appears to have been sharpened by someone, so I am going with the 'overheated by a previous sharpening event with a grinder' camp, even though you don't see any discoloration.

Typically, as noted, if you grind through that section, it can usually be filed afterwards. Worst case, it may be a grind-only chain that still cuts fine.

Philbert

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're going way too deep for one thing .If you're going to use a guide I think either old style Oregon the one Stihl sells are the best .Pferd files seem to work better on hard chain such as Stihl brand chain .Stihl chain will knock the teeth right off an Oregon file and most likely this chain will too .Fact I think the "house brand" Baileys sells,woodland pro is a better file than Oregon .

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I typically go deep on my grind so I don't have to work bout the gullet later. But everyone has there own way to sharp a chain and my chains work great on my echo top handle hard or soft wood.20170620_175547.jpg