Chain sharpeners help

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the file I like the grinder thing about a file is you can leave the chain on the saw. A grinder can teach you to be pretty good w a file

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After hand filing for years and my father knowing how many chains I'd have to sharpen each day/week, he bought me a knockoff 511 style grinder for my B-day. He had one for occaisional cutting he does and thought I was bonkers hand filing up to a dozen chains near every day. After work I'd be in the shed for a couple of hours having zen time with various handfiles which I did enjoy most of the time. Well lif e changed for the good with a grinder, I can grind chains at 5x the speed of a file and get such consistent results chain after chain after chain. For the cost of about $120 it's the smartest investment you can make if you cut a lot. I have bars worth more than $120 that sit for months out of service. I've ground 1000's of chains with a knockoff.....I feel kinda guilty and will spend the bucks on a new Oregon as they deserve the $ for such a well designed product.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
8:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy friggin' cow Black Dog Chainsaw.

For the record, I see a couple complaints about filing making your wittle shoulders and stuff hurt. Try relaxing and don't forget to breathe. Relax when you do work. You're fighting it trust me.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an Oregon 410 grinder I bought a few months ago. . . the grinder is collecting dust.

Sell it to the OP!

Anybody know anything about this modle?

A few threads on it on A.S. Been around for several years, so a bunch have been sold. Key features, as I understand, are automatic clamping of the chain, and enough grinder head travel so that you can sharpen both the right and left hand cutters from the "outside in". MCW said he tried it and found the quality lacking for volume use - I respect his judgement, but have not tried it myself.

Great post Nathan! Thanks for sharing your perspectives.

My preference is for the Oregon/Italian grinders, with good quality wheels. If you buy a clone grinder, consider replacing the wheels right away.

Technique matters. Practice on scrap (or friend's) chains first. Use good lighting. Intentionally overheat some cutters to see what it takes, then see how to avoid it. Dress the wheel frequently to constantly expose fresh abrasive.

Philbert

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow thanks for all the awesome feedback! Looks like I may have missed a good deal. Lol
@Black Dog Chainsaw
Sense you got such a great deal you willing to share the love. I have coffee I could trade! Lol. Jk let me know though

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

For the record, I see a couple complaints about filing making your wittle shoulders and stuff hurt. Try relaxing and don't forget to breathe. Relax when you do work. You're fighting it trust me.

Well my shoulder has seen better days. Between work , rolled cars, ejected out of a rolled simi truck. (Yes I know don't ride with me) bike wrecks ect. My right shoulder is as the surgeon said (unreparable) actually he used a bigger smarter word but he dumbed it down for me. I did think about building a stand I could get 360 around it so I could use my left arm.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I do more chain than most the three local small engine shops combined. I also have more chain on hand than any of them so they send work my way when they can't help someone. That being said, I don't have time to sit and file every customers chains. Don't get me wrong I still touch mine up in the woods with a file, but if I'm anywhere near the shop the chain will get sharpened later.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nobody mentions the HOS...I picked one up ( told it was a USG...doh) and was expecting little ...
Pleasantly surprised by its performance , have a 511a sitting next to it that gets little use.
Like the Stihl stone a lot. Have a CBN wheel in 511a. Virtual toss up for "sharpness"

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do more chain than most the three local small engine shops combined.

Me too. Or at least I do more of it right than the closest three shops. More importantly, remember the Lord created Adam and Eve not Alan and Steve. It was a non sequitur but it seemed funny to say this fine morning.

Black Dog Chainsaw

Mak-Crazy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nobody mentions the HOS...I picked one up ( told it was a USG...doh) and was expecting little ...
Pleasantly surprised by its performance , have a 511a sitting next to it that gets little use.
Like the Stihl stone a lot. Have a CBN wheel in 511a. Virtual toss up for "sharpness"
I have used several of the $100 CBN's vs all the 5-8 brands of stones. Have yet to be impressed by CBN over the Stihl grinding wheels. plus if you run into some "old style" chains you'll need the ability to dress them a little differently to get a good grind. I know CBN lovers/retailers are hating me right now but I don't care. When Steve and Scott at Cutting Edge still use stones on their automated Franzen... It's hard to argue with that kind of experience.

http://www.franzen-maschinen.de/en/products/sharpening-equipment/chain-sharpener-the-franzen/

@166 @cuttinscott