Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is vanguard chain :rolleyes:.
Oregon 'Vanguard' chain (also sold in a Husqvarna version) is a 3/8 pitch, low kickback chain with a unique, flat depth gauge.
IMG_4276.jpg

It confuses some people. Proper sharpening for it is described in the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual.

Philbert

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How do you measure for the bow bars
14eab8e5b7fdeae83d2ad804e9720acc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Welcome

I am in the "no clue" line as well

Never even seen one except in pictures

Let us know if you get it figured out

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon 'Vanguard' chain (also sold in a Husqvarna version) is a 3/8 pitch, low kickback chain with a unique, flat depth gauge.
View attachment 218960

It confuses some people. Proper sharpening for it is described in the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual.

Philbert
I'm pretty sure I have a loop that is labeled dolmar. Might get to look for it later this weekend.
The chain in your picture is an Oregon, I have some in the husky that are marked 80 on the drive for 3/8 x 050.
I'm not confused, but it doesn't always cut well if you follow their instructions. Adding hook will help it a lot, but doesn't help with durability in frozen or very hard wood.

The first number(7) on the chain above(73) tells the pitch which is 3/8 for these three.
The second number tells the gauge 73 on the drive is for an .058, it would have a 72 on an .050, and a 75 for .063.

Last edited:

Xr650jkallen

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This chain seemed to fit ok but then at the end of the bar the drive links don't fit the sprocket properly....Is this just because the various companies want you to exclusively buy their brand of components rather

jCllaDI.jpg

Is it just me or is this chain on backwards?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on your perspective: the powerhead is not shown, so the guide bar might just be tilted for the photo.

I'm pretty sure I have a loop that is labeled dolmar.
Oregon made and 'private labeled' chain for a lot of companies.
Did not mean to imply that everyone was confused! But a lot of guys see a flat, folded over part where they expect to see a sharp fin, and don't know how to adjust the depth gauge.

Philbert

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score

No, but it is wrong for the bar....I got it figured out. It's the same saw that I was working on in the thread over in the repair section (Poulan 5020). I got a correct bar and chain on it and cut with it yesterday.

And that's not to say I could very well put a chain on backward....that's about how green I am.... :)

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on your perspective: the powerhead is not shown, so the guide bar might just be tilted for the photo.

Oregon made and 'private labeled' chain for a lot of companies.
Did not mean to imply that everyone was confused! But a lot of guys see a flat, folded over part where they expect to see a sharp fin, and don't know how to adjust the depth gauge.

Philbert
That's what I figured too. Sometimes a photo gets flipped around/mirrored and they look odd, kinda like the "left handed" saws that have come up on eBay now and then lol.

I've not seen any other dolmar labeled chain. I could see how someone would think all dolmar chain was junk if that was the only style they ever saw.
I didn't take it offensively.
They don't bother me as long as I don't have to set the rakers in the woods/on a job, I just take them down with a grinder at the house.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Vanguard I got on my big Dolmar in 2015 was marked Dolmar

and

I am 75% sure it was semi chisel

The Vanguard I just gave away was marked Oregon and was full chisel

Last edited:

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably the easiest way to get a length on a bow bar is use a piece of bulk chain .Takes the guess work out of it .Bows were popular a long time ago with pulp wood cutters .I'd well imagine with the mechanized machinery of today very little of that is hand cut . I have one that fits a reed valve McCulloch that came with a box of stuff from flea bay .It was a treasure trove with two complete saws and 40 pounds of junk in two boxes the shipping cost me more than I paid for the items .