breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have always used chains and bars from the manufacturer of the chainsaw I run. Case in point, a craftsman saw I go and get a craftsman chain for the length of bar on the saw.

Now I keep reading quotes like
"he runs a 3/8 drive with an 8 tooth on a 32 or 36 B&C"

Is there a document or simple explanation of what this all means so that someone like myself can get a good chain for whatever saw we have?

Thanks

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is there a document or simple explanation of what this all means so that someone like myself can get a good chain for whatever saw we have?

Thanks

No way, that'd be far too easy!

It's actually not to hard to wade through, but it can seem complicated at first. What you need to know is how the saw is set up currently. Generally it'll be 3/8lopro, .325 narrow kerf, .325, 3/8, or .404. That's the pitch. Then you need gauge. .043, .050, .058, .063. these are the thickness of the driver links. Then you need a number of driver links. This information, along with the other 2 crucial numbers is generally on the bar, though if not, you can take the chain off and count.

Then you need to take the info you have to a place that sells chain and relay it to them. Each manufacturer puts their own letters and numbers on things to indicate that info, so it needs to be translated.

If you want a new or different bar, and or chain, you need to figure out the bar mount, and then find a bar in the length, gauge, and pitch desired. Then, chains to match.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have always used chains and bars from the manufacturer of the chainsaw I run. Case in point, a craftsman saw I go and get a craftsman chain for the length of bar on the saw.

Now I keep reading quotes like
"he runs a 3/8 drive with an 8 tooth on a 32 or 36 B&C"

Thanks
To measure pitch on your chain, measure length between any 3 rivets and divide by 2. Your drive and bar sprocket need to be the same pitch.