Cerakote

Del Eaves

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used it some on boat engines, on piston tops not in combustion chambers, I'd rather keep heat out of the internals and let the head dissipate the heat, no expert, just an opinion.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
12:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
http://swaintech.com

If you want anything coated in ceramic and done right. These guys produce a mean product.

Steven

Edit: The reason I send things out to swain. Is with the spray on kits is that you can easily spray on a extra .005-.010+ of coating in a blink of an eye . And that can be a big deal in certain situations.

Last edited:

RedGas

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Interesting. Kinda reminds me of Gun-Kote, a spray-on, bake-on finish that incorporates molybdenum disulfide into the (hard) coating, which makes the coated surfaces self-lubricating. Works great on auto pistol slides, and it's so thin that it doesn't cause interference...

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Swaintech will not coat a single chainsaw piston I have tried. But yes they do a great job. There are other kits for piston coating out there, just have to find one. Dry film is really a big addition Btw.

I ordered swatches for the cerekote product to abrasion test under heat/fuel/oil and they don't have them available. So to try them you have to buy the small bottle for 40 to test them.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Swaintech will not coat a single chainsaw piston I have tried. But yes they do a great job. There are other kits for piston coating out there, just have to find one. Dry film is really a big addition Btw.

I ordered swatches for the cerekote product to abrasion test under heat/fuel/oil and they don't have them available. So to try them you have to buy the small bottle for 40 to test them.

That's strange - Swaintech has coated over 30 chainsaw pistons for me...

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well they told me no, and I have called 4 different times trying. Can I send you a piston so you can send it to them to have it coated :)

I am kidding of course.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

They have individual pricing on this page
http://swaintech.com/race-coatings/two-cycle-engine-coatings/two-cycle-coatings-price-sheet/

$40 per 2-cycle engine piston for a ceramic thermal barrier (TBC) on the piston top (0.002" thick) and PC-9 lubricating coating on the skirts (0.0008" thick). Or you can do just the top or just the skirts. Maybe you need to try again?

Although, be careful with the PC-9.
http://www.thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_piston_coating_services.html

Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back when I was building bikes, I tried ceramic coating on the piston crown and didn't notice any real difference in power. The same with coating the skirts with moly, no real difference.

The moly on the skirts would initially take up too much clearance and the bike would have to 'lap' it in for about half an hour before the power would come back (too much friction between the piston and cylinder).

Perhaps in some special applications there may be an advantage, but for the average enduro rider it wasn't worth the extra effort or expense.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't found having the piston coated to be of any real benefit in a modern saw - run good gas and oil and call it a day.

The majority of the pistons I had coated were for vintage machines where a replacement piston was not available. In those cases it was worthwhile...