Carlton narrow kerf chain

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got some Carlton narrow kerf chains I want to shorten. I believe the designation by Carlton is K1NK.

I just had a local dealer tell me that he can't do it as he needs the Carlton joining links. He said that the rivet size was different. I don't think he's correct, but I'd thought I'd run it past the forum.

I expect that a joining link for Oregon 95VP would work just fine.

cobey

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know there are two different links,
I was thinking bailey's had them

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd just re-use the old tie straps if just shortening the loop Terry. A chain grinder, hammer & punch is all you really need in a pinch. Grind a little off the rivet ends, punch them out, remove links to resize and reuse stuff. Not a pro way of doing it but I did it a bazillion times with success before owning a breaker/spinner. Never had a chain fail either.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I've never had a spinner, I just hammered the ends of the rivets. However, the 'expert' at the saw shop said the rivets were a different size. So, even if I hammered in a few Oregon VP95 presets with an old tie strap, the rivets wouldn't be the right size.

I think he's mistaken (full of sh!t), but I was wondering if anyone on the forum had some direct experience with NK Carlton chain and joining links.

I think I may just break the chain and check the rivet size.

Cobey, what's this information about different links? I couldn't find anything on Bailey's to show a difference in the joining links.

bennne

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I break and reuse them personally all the time but I do have a breaker and spinner so it makes the most of the available material

cobey

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I've never had a spinner, I just hammered the ends of the rivets. However, the 'expert' at the saw shop said the rivets were a different size. So, even if I hammered in a few Oregon VP95 presets with an old tie strap, the rivets wouldn't be the right size.

I think he's mistaken (full of sh!t), but I was wondering if anyone on the forum had some direct experience with NK Carlton chain and joining links.

I think I may just break the chain and check the rivet size.

Cobey, what's this information about different links? I couldn't find anything on Bailey's to show a difference in the joining links.
It was on A.S about a year ago.
I will have to look at home on my puter
You might call the baileys tech line.
If you don't find out I will
Break my chain and take a pic,have some regular. 325 presets.I can compare the rivets/pin size.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if it is the same, but Stihl makes a narrow curf rip chain. Even though it is made by Stihl, you can not buy it at the dealer, you can only get it at Baileys (in the US), as the chain is made specifically for Logosol, and Baileys is the US importer for them.

I bought, and used, 3 loops of it when I did the Ash post & beam for my upstate cabin. They said I needed a thinner bar, but you don't, I used my Stihl bars.

Now I just use square file for everything, but if using round file, that is what I found worked best.

Three of my beams were 27' long (the ridge beam and the top of each side). With 70 cc saws (stock at the time) it was taking about 20 min/cut.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don't find out I will
Break my chain and take a pic,have some regular. 325 presets.I can compare the rivets/pin size.

I broke one of the Carlton chains, it looks like the rivet pins are the same size as VP95. I also noted that the joining link simply had the designation of 'NK', nothing about Carlton like the rest of the links had.

I'll take the chains to another shop. I like this bloke and have dealt with him for years, but he passed on the work, so someone else will get the money.

Mike, sounds like you were running the NK on the 70cc saw for a long time. Did you notice any difference in the bar wear using the NK chain?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. Used it in conjunction with a Beam Machine to make posts & beams from Ash.

Just had to sharpen frequently with that 5/64 stone. (used a 12V sharpener w/diamond stone).

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that I used the Oregon NK presets on Carlton NK chain. The Bailey's web catalog states that their 'Woodland Pro' (ORPS 95) version:
"Fits the following chainsaw chain:
  • WoodlandPRO K1NK (20 Series) Chain: Some Examples are 20NK, 20NKB, etc.
  • Carlton K1NK Series Chain: Some Examples are K1NK, K1NK-BL etc
  • Oregon 95 Series Chain*: Some Examples are 95VP, 95VPX, etc.
  • Husqvarna H30 Series Chain*: Some Examples are H30, etc.
  • Note: These presets will interchange with Oregon & Husqvarna chains, but the preset profile has a slightly different shape."
The rivets are shorter than the presets for full sized .325 chain.

I re-use tie straps in good condition, but not the presets; too much metal comes off of the ends of the rivets when breaking them.

Philbert

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just had to sharpen frequently with that 5/64 stone. (used a 12V sharpener w/diamond stone).

You used a 5/64 stone, is that what is recommended for the ripping chain or is that what you found worked best? NK is usually sharpened with 3/16 files, but maybe ripping chain is different.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These presets will interchange with Oregon & Husqvarna chains, but the preset profile has a slightly different shape.

I doubt whether a slightly different profile on a preset/side plate will make much difference. The bottoms of the plates running on the bar will lap is quick enough with the rest of the chain.

Thanks for the information, its always good to get some factory technical information to go with the anecdotal evidence.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My bad, meant to say 5/32 for the narrow kerf, and 7/32 for the regular chain (EZE Lap diamond stones).

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
meant to say 5/32 for the narrow kerf

Is that recommended for the ripping chain or something you found worked better. The reason I ask as I am still experimenting with getting the ULTIMATE cutter shape on these Carlton chains. When I hear about using a smaller stone/file I wonder if I'm missing another little trick.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I doubt whether a slightly different profile on a preset/side plate will make much difference.
I think they said they were just pointing out a cosmetic difference to reassure the purchaser / user.

That said, I have seen tie straps installed up side down, and inside out, as well as 3/8 low profile tie straps used in full sized 3/8 pitch chain !!!

Philbert

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is what the Baileys rep advised me to use, and it worked well. I think it is what that chain calls for. The teeth were like 325, except at the rip angle (10 degrees instead of 30 degrees).

Regular rip chain would use the 7/32, but not the narrow curf stuff. The 12 v sharpener makes regular sharpening go much faster.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is what the Baileys rep advised me to use, and it worked well. I think it is what that chain calls for. The teeth were like 325, except at the rip angle (10 degrees instead of 30 degrees).

Regular rip chain would use the 7/32, but not the narrow curf stuff. The 12 v sharpener makes regular sharpening go much faster.
How much faster? On a mill switching chains is a pia. Fast is good.