Carburetor butterfly valve modifying

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello, so im new to porting and "tuning" chainsaws and today i tried to modify a bit carburetor, mainly butterfly valves (choke and throttle).
I sanded both valves to more than half thickness, polished them and also sanded/ground shafts to a bit more aerodynamic shape - elliptic, to decrease turbulences.
Also smoothed out tiny bit a carburetor intake side.

After reassembly I started chainsaw and it four stroked like crazy, ran very very rich (but in progress i never touched adjustment screw) and i finished my work toolate so i couldnt test it on a nice piece of wood , does that mean that i somehow messed up and now it sucks less air ?

Paint sketch of what i exactly did : https://ibb.co/wh2MPDd

What do you guys think?
And what do you gennerally think about doing this? Worth doing it or shouldnt be done at all?

Last edited:

Gord

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never really thought about it that much, just been happy with a good running carb and IMO what it services is what really makes a difference in power gains - porting etc.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you readjusted the carburetor yet? If you have. do you feel like you gained anything from it?

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, readjusted, unfortunatelly cannot tell RPM, dont have meter, but can surely say that power actually noticeably dropped :/
Chainsaw seems sluggish, even at accelerating...
But I made a mistake, should have first tried that only on choke valve but not on both and then see results, because as i researched throttle shaft has to be round to actually make turbulences for better air/fuel mixing, but not sure for choke shaft because its before jet/nozzle so maybe it would work on it...
And on throttle shaft !maybe! a polishing would work a bit, bot nothing else..

Maybe someone with more experience and spare equipment could try this out and make actual notes on results :D

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not my pic... but this is exactly what I do. 75A34C94-146B-4C8B-BE46-90B5173AF342.jpeg Don’t make it too thin or you will break the shaft in use. Tape off the carb holes and use a shop vac to get all the filings as you are doing it. Not easy to do. Yes there is a gain. Small though. They all add up...

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one is choke valve right?
How about throttle ?

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe take apart the carb and flush it out with fluid (carb cleaner or WD-40 or something) you might have a metal filing where it shouldn't be. I recently did a similar thing to a carb, and the high speed got no fuel. After cleaning it started working again.

Yours could sound like it is 4 stroking a lot because it is now able to rev up faster with the modified carb, and higher rpms are more likely to 4 stroke.

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
maybe i made mistake when testing yeah, lack of equipment hehe
ill revisit this experiment once i get tachometer, and actually check rpm

maybe i actually improved air velocity in carb and by that more "agressive" venturi effect, so it sucks more fuel also...
and by that, does anyone know some cheapo tachometers online?

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am, I'm free, just make a good video or sound recording of the saw revving max rpm for a few seconds and I can give you a good idea of the rpm.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
5:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get a tach, make sure is a 20k one..and the quicker refresh the better.