Carbide Chains

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if the cheaper Dremel type 'diamond stone' sharpening attachments would do carbide cutters? I think its EZ or something that makes them.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found that out recently.

I forget whether or not you have s grinder. Would you consider one of these $100 (US pricing) diamond wheels?

Philbert
I have a cheaply made supermarket grinder.
It is a wrong design with a swing arm that enters the tooth from the front, the deeper One lets the wheel into the tooth the more angle One looses on the cutter.
The grinder I have also grinds inconsistent left hand to right hand cutters.
I tried using the damn thing on various chains, it is an expensive worthless piece of crap.

I may have to look into getting another grinder, but it is not a priority and I also extremely over spent my chainsaw funds too.
I would consider buying a diamond wheel, just need a decent grinder first.

I consider it a last resort, but I may take the loop to my local Stihl dealer and let them have a go at it.

I wonder if the cheaper Dremel type 'diamond stone' sharpening attachments would do carbide cutters? I think its EZ or something that makes them.
I got two or three attachments like that off eBay just for the purpose of getting my RD3 back up to speed - unsuccessfully.
The rotating diamond laced burr is chipping the cutters leading edge making the carbide insert even duller.

I lost patience and stopped trying.
I will get back at it once I clear my plate off all the work that is waiting for me to do.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All in the wheel...lol

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just about every grinder under $500 will do this. You just havta set up for it and adjust accordingly.
Left to right inconsistency is the least issue I have with my grinder!

This is the real issue which makes the ground loops cut worse then before grinding them but after they got dulled having been round filed.
It is a wrong design with a swing arm that enters the tooth from the front, the deeper One lets the wheel into the tooth the more angle One looses on the cutter.

I tried grinding 3/8" LP, 3/8" and .404", round, semi chisel and full chisel - no dice.

I'll round file my regular steel chains, period!
No need to take the loop off the saw, faster cutting chains, doable in the field, performance consistency.

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a cheaply made supermarket grinder.

Like this? I tried one, when sorting through some of the smaller, cheaper grinders. I did not like it.

IMG_4219.jpg

Philbert

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I really liked the out of the box performance of my Stihl Rapid Duro 3 loop.
I used it for a whole Year on my Dolmar PS-6400 bucking logs before it dulled beyond my liking.

Stones and metal are a big no-no for this chain, it handles sand and mud very well though.

This comment has me optimistic. The Stihl dealer where I got the loops charges $15 for a sharpening. If I can get through a few cords on a chain, i'll consider it a win

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like this? I tried one, when sorting through some of the smaller, cheaper grinders. I did not like it.

View attachment 214768

Philbert
Wow, yeah I have the exact same stupid thing, even the color matches! :eek:
Piece of overpriced crap!!! :mad:
DSC00737.JPG DSC00738.JPG DSC00739.JPG DSC00740.JPG

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This comment has me optimistic. The Stihl dealer where I got the loops charges $15 for a sharpening. If I can get through a few cords on a chain, i'll consider it a win
Check my videos on YouTube, I buck skidded logs, mostly turkey oak which has thick rough bark that will catch and hold a lot of dirt in it.
I have cut through easily an inch of dry/semi dry mud with my Stihl Rapid Duro 3, it didn't show any reduced performance for countless bucking cuts, numerous logs, I just spent fuel tank after fuel tank never even taking the loop of my PS-6400!!!

WHEN I figure out how to sharpen RD3/RP3 by myself (I also have a Stihl Picco Duro 3 loop, 52DL) I will get a loop in every bar length I run, especially 36"!

Stihl Rapid Duro 3 is not terribly "slow" out of the box, it's rakers are set conservative which I believe helped the Carbide insert to keep an good edge for so long.
A chainsaw sporting a high chain speed will make this chain fly through a cut.

Turkey oak, new chain

Turkey oak, already utilized chain, great condition, skip to 6:25 to see me showing embedded dirt

Turkey oak, noodling

I know that the videos are not great, but be assured they show real life performance as nothing is staged in them.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish I had that loop up to speed for my XS5000 & MMWS6100 for two jobs I agreed to do, but I don't.

And I ain't gonna rape it through bucking cuts either, I'd just wear through the tie straps doing that.

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I got to use the rapid duro carbide .325.today. As @Wilhelm stated the chain was pretty good right out of the box. Feels as though the rakers could come down just a bit. I used up my semi chisel on my ms 310 and grabbed my mofo'd 026 with the carbide on it. The chain just kept cutting and cutting for dirty wood its the way to go I think. The wood isn't at our house and we kind of need to get in and out, so as long as it keeps chugging through the wood its awesome. Didn't try out the low pro on the mighty CJ saws ms 250.

IMG_1131.jpg IMG_1138.jpg

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I got to use the rapid duro carbide .325.today. As @Wilhelm stated the chain was pretty good right out of the box. Feels as though the rakers could come down just a bit. I used up my semi chisel on my ms 310 and grabbed my mofo'd 026 with the carbide on it. The chain just kept cutting and cutting for dirty wood its the way to go I think. The wood isn't at our house and we kind of need to get in and out, so as long as it keeps chugging through the wood its awesome. Didn't try out the low pro on the mighty CJ saws ms 250.

View attachment 215422 View attachment 215423
Stihl Rapid/Picco Duro 3 carbide tipped chain is no race chain, but as I keep saying it performs pretty good and holds up very well. :)

Keep in mind that these chains may not be able to handle as big a bite as a standard steel chain as they feature much less clearance under the cutter/tooth!
Be careful resetting the rakers if You decide to do so! ;)

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another 2 loads. 80% cut with the same carbide chain. Slowing down in speed just a bit. Still happy with it. I’ve got a fresh loop of carbide low pro on the ported MS 250 when this one has had enough. Since I’m happy with it I may see if I can find it in a 3/8 .50. 72 driver for the bigger saws. I think the same dealer did have one. Having 3 chains for different saws should be perfect when the conditions get like this.

373d5bc4f6a43cf2fa136a428e4bd619.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you happy with the cutting speed?

Thanks.

Philbert

Yes Philbert, absolutely. The time and frustration saved is substantial. It puts a smile on my face because I know what the outcome would have been if I didn't have the carbide. I lived it last winter.