Carb rebuild question

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
10:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got two old pioneers i got going a while back. They ran perfect when i was done rebuilding the carbs. When done i drained fuel and ran dry.
About a month ago i decided to get them out and both did the same thing. Fired up idled good but died soon as i tried to rev up so i just put.them back on the shelf for another day to play with.
Today get them out and figured i would see whats going on and fire each one up letnidle and warm up. Go to give some throttle thinking its gonna die and both saws run flawless. So was wondering whats up with that? Did the new carb kits diaphram start to go hard from bein run dry? Any ideas? I have alway run my saws dry to store for long time with no trouble.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old chainsaw maintenance manuals say to store chainsaws fueled in order to prevent hardening of the diaphragm.

Elder diaphragm carb kits weren't plastic foils, they were some kind of reinforced rubber or something - they didn't fare well getting dry.

I store all my saws fueled, no issues yet - knock on wood.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got two old pioneers i got going a while back. They ran perfect when i was done rebuilding the carbs. When done i drained fuel and ran dry.
About a month ago i decided to get them out and both did the same thing. Fired up idled good but died soon as i tried to rev up so i just put.them back on the shelf for another day to play with.
Today get them out and figured i would see whats going on and fire each one up letnidle and warm up. Go to give some throttle thinking its gonna die and both saws run flawless. So was wondering whats up with that? Did the new carb kits diaphram start to go hard from bein run dry? Any ideas? I have alway run my saws dry to store for long time with no trouble.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Simply, yes.

heimannm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quite often just letting a saw set with fuel in the carburetor will help soften up a stiff diaphragm. I have experienced saws that had been setting dry and won't run properly setting for a week with fuel and working just fine, exactly as you have experienced.

Mark

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even new or rebuilt carbs will run differently the day after initial fire up. I finally gave in and fire saws up and rough tune enough to allow them to warm up and then let sit until the next day for final test and tune so it will hold.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've experienced the exact same thing .One particular saw ,a Poulan S25 DA I bought brand new and never drained the fuel and had sat approx 5 years unused fired right up .That saw made it over 35 years a before I rebuilt the carb . Still runs good ,circa 1974 -