Cannot find the RPM - 026

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
100 rpms is nothing. 026's spiced up slightly can lose 1k or more with the filter on.
I have been looking at mesh to make a mesh filter. Anyone have thoughts on how small the openings should be? I found some at 0.003" in 304 Stainless from McMaster. Ofcourse that is pretty small and only passes 30% of the surface area covered.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would not bother if the saw runs well in the wood and you only lose a few rpms with the filter on. And it stays tuneable

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
9:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the filter restricts it for almost 100 rpm. I still do not know why today I picked up 1,300-1,400 rpm and I have not touched anything. This weekend I will run it some and see how it does. Maybe playing with FarmerTec filter has gotten it to open 100% now? I will keep this thread updated as I find more. If I can keep it tuned at 14,200-14,500 I am happy with the FarmerTec jug...for now.

IF you had rebuilt the carburetor it takes some time to soften the inlet diaphragm. I always notice a difference from first fire to the next day.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check the filter media to see if it will let water through it, I have a few that are too tight, almost look like a plastic sheet. They won`t flow wort a crap. The real early ones looked almost like stainless steel screen, now those flowed real nice.
Was also going to say ,the quality of these filters are all over the place, remember these guys are only good at copying a part, they don`t know how its supposed to work or what its for, no research or development only copy a dimension.
Will not flow water freely. Seeps at the seems of the filter halves. Its like they made these filters of frogskin material.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So any opinions of how fine a mesh screen to buy? Need something to let this Asian woman sing.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So any opinions of how fine a mesh screen to buy? Need something to let this Asian woman sing.
OEM Nylon flows as well as metal in the larger MS260 large style.

The AM suck and don't flow. Ive had crappy AM filters where i had the H needle at 1/4 out tuned fat at 13500. Added a metal and H came out to 1.25 turns and saw sang at 15000 fat.

Been there, that's how I knew.

The AM choke flaps can pull shut as well.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep in mind on the 024 and 026 there were three distinct mufflers with the covers .It might improve with more holes in the cover but it will do better if the baffle cage is removed .They don't get that much louder .
If it will crank 13 thou WTH .It isn't like you're going to run it in a hotsaw contest .It's just a neat little firewood cutter .

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made this one. It did pick up a few rpms with the mofo compared to an oem mesh, but it wasn’t worth the work. I’d have to look up what mesh I used. I ground a lot out of the inside too on both B7CEA63A-0C0A-4AE6-882C-6248F45A1D5C.jpeg8F2E992A-B679-4CEC-B281-A3EDEA25051F.jpeg

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The AM filters choke flap isn't open enough. I grind behind the choke flap so they'll sit back further and grind the protrusion on the face to open up more area to the carb. Then I cut a couple of coils off the spring and rebend it so it has more tension on the choke flap to keep it from getting sucked shut.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a bunch of mesh filters and swap in a clean one after second tank of fuel. You just can’t believe what gets past. Green wood might be a different story, but I rarely cut anything that’s not dead/dry.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The AM filters choke flap isn't open enough. I grind behind the choke flap so they'll sit back further and grind the protrusion on the face to open up more area to the carb. Then I cut a couple of coils off the spring and rebend it so it has more tension on the choke flap to keep it from getting sucked shut.
I have had good luck dicking with coil type springs on other saws. Have you successfully tightened these axial springs?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had good luck dicking with coil type springs on other saws. Have you successfully tightened these axial springs?

Yes, these are a tension spring. So you nip a few coils and bend a new tail to make it shorter. Getting it back together can be a bit of a pita!

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will not flow water freely. Seeps at the seems of the filter halves. Its like they made these filters of frogskin material.

That filter is one of the newest generation of AM filters, I have a dozen or so of them that came from a midnight group buy, filters are about worthless. The porosity of the filters is measured in microns but since I can`t measure in microns I am of little help on mesh sizes. The OEM steel mesh filters are what I run mostly on the ported 026`s, they breathe the best. They might not filter out dust the best but my saws do not make dust and there is never any dust in the air here.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ok... any master tips to how to properly discuss the state of the union with the spring as I make it get right?

Clip a coil (only maybe 3 in there) and then heat to bend it?