High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Can a saw be too lean even if it four strokes??

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
5:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If a saw (ported of course) four strokes at WOT, are you safe?

On the flip side,

if it takes fuel to make HP, are you better off (performance wise) to tune fat, assuming that you are still two stroking clean in the cut under load.... Lets hear your thoughts

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
4:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on if your saw has a limited coil. If it has a limited coil that can be mistaken for four stroking.

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saws 4 stroke at varying rpm. It's possible to have a saw four stroke out of the cut, but the rpm is miss matched to the size of the job and temp.

Example my 064 4 strokes all day 14.5k rpm. That's perfect for cutting smaller sized wood. But If I turn around and buck up a large oak with a long bar, that's probably not the best tune to use for that size wood and you may want to consider dialing things back to account for larger longer cuts and outside temps if it's summer time. Your mileage may vary.

Zombiechopper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Your thinking is sort of correct. There is a range of tuning and there isn't a perfect spot for all conditions. I do what you suggest. I like to go way rich and then lean it out until it cleans up with the bar buried. Does that make the most power? Nope, but that's ok with me.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saws 4 stroke at varying rpm. It's possible to have a saw four stroke out of the cut, but the rpm is miss matched to the size of the job and temp.

Example my 064 4 strokes all day 14.5k rpm. That's perfect for cutting smaller sized wood. But If I turn around and buck up a large oak with a long bar, that's probably not the best tune to use for that size wood and you may want to consider dialing things back to account for larger longer cuts and outside temps if it's summer time. Your mileage may vary.
Kind of why I asked. Our woodlot doesn't have much large diameter wood, so I have been making a hobby out of noodling full bar length. Quite a different load on the engine vs. bucking the same log.

Zombiechopper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My little brother has a 2 stroke scooter he messes around with. It's got a big bore kit and tuned pipe etc. He recently blew it up. Trying to figure out what went wrong, I asked him how it was running before it crapped the bed. He told me it ran better than it ever had and then quit. That means it was lean. We found an exhaust leak at the flange. The most power you can make in a two stroke happens right before it goes kaboom, not on the rich side.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My little brother has a 2 stroke scooter he messes around with. It's got a big bore kit and tuned pipe etc. He recently blew it up. Trying to figure out what went wrong, I asked him how it was running before it crapped the bed. He told me it ran better than it ever had and then quit. That means it was lean. We found an exhaust leak at the flange. The most power you can make in a two stroke happens right before it goes kaboom, not on the rich side.
Right... I'm a bit of a puss when it comes to smoking my high dollar saws :error:

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The more load the engine sees, ie long bar, low rakers, heavy hand, the leaner it will run. So yes it is possible.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm my opinion you should be checking the tune of your saw pretty much every time you use it.
Tune it for the size of wood your cutting, the bar and chain your running and for the weather.
yep, and i have a little screwdriver within reach pretty much every time i grab a saw.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The most power you can make in a two stroke happens right before it goes kaboom, not on the rich side.

Not trying to argue with you but my ported 261 likes more fuel tuning wise than any other saw Ive ran. It is a strato so that may be a factor.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This just sounds so right to me.

I'm sure you've all had saws sounding fat in the cut, then you lean on it and it cleans up.

wigglesworth

Knocker of midget farts......
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If a saw (ported of course) four strokes at WOT, are you safe?

On the flip side,

if it takes fuel to make HP, are you better off (performance wise) to tune fat, assuming that you are still two stroking clean in the cut under load.... Lets hear your thoughts

Yes a saw can be too lean and still four stroke.

The fuel keeps it cool, and it takes fuel to make power.

For instance, the 385 I built last year, in a 24"x 24" cant cut exactly the same time wether it was tuned at 13.5k or 14.5k. It gained exactly notta tuned 1k rpm higher. And it still "four stroked" pretty good at 14.5k.

But what it did gain was HEAT!! It was popping and carrying on at idle until it cooled down. Now, if it was a 36" cant, she would had gotten real hot...

I always err on the safe side.