Buy used old saw or new cheap one?

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious how you guys feel about this. Awhile back, I bought a Stihl 011AV and find that this saw was manufactured in 1978-1982. So, it's closing in on 40 years old! And now I find it has a missing chain tensioner screw gizmo. Ugh. Hopefully, I can find parts somewhere. So, that begs the question... buying an old saw like this for about the same price I could buy a brand new Stihl ms170. I know the latter is not a quality saw like a ms200 or whatever, but I have read threads here and there where somebody said it would suit a homeowner using a chainsaw only occasionally just fine. And if I have trouble beyond what I can figure out myself (with tuning it or whatever), having a mechanic involved on the old saw just adds to the cost. I ask because my brother wants to buy it from me and I want him to do what's best for him. He uses a chainsaw maybe once a year for a day here and there on his place of about two acres. Light use. Do you favor buying an old 'quality' saw or new 'cheap' good brand one?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just curious how you guys feel about this. Awhile back, I bought a Stihl 011AV and find that this saw was manufactured in 1978-1982. So, it's closing in on 40 years old! And now I find it has a missing chain tensioner screw gizmo. Ugh. Hopefully, I can find parts somewhere. So, that begs the question... buying an old saw like this for about the same price I could buy a brand new Stihl ms170. I know the latter is not a quality saw like a ms200 or whatever, but I have read threads here and there where somebody said it would suit a homeowner using a chainsaw only occasionally just fine. And if I have trouble beyond what I can figure out myself (with tuning it or whatever), having a mechanic involved on the old saw just adds to the cost. I ask because my brother wants to buy it from me and I want him to do what's best for him. He uses a chainsaw maybe once a year for a day here and there on his place of about two acres. Light use. Do you favor buying an old 'quality' saw or new 'cheap' good brand one?
Go with the newer. Easier to find part everything will function correctly. Have you looked at some of the battery offerings? Might be a good option.

Angelr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I would tell you if you are going to cut wood of good diameter better used a little bigger, if on the contrary, the use would be sporadic and only a few branches, buy new

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
something like the ms170 would be perfect, my first saw was a stihl 017 new back in 2001 and it is the same as the ms170, that saw has been bullet proof, and overall ive done a lot of work with it, yes it cuts a bit slow and yes you have to clean the air filter very regular but such a good saw for the money
I would buy new

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
6:39 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I may take flack for saying this, but I hate the 009-011 series. My dad loves them. I also agree with the ms170 points. Unless they've changed since the last time I looked at them, I always suggest the ms170-180 when someone asked what to buy cheap and new..... And I'm not a stihl guy. Great warranty if you buy some oil, which you want anyway.

Davey83

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:39 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one thing is for sure the ms170 is definitely superior to the husky 236 imo

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
one thing is for sure the ms170 is definitely superior to the husky 236 imo
No comparison.... Little new orange poulans are crap.

Now if you get your hands on a clean used 346 or 353.... That's a different story.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why don’t you buy the 346 at your dealer you were asking about back on August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a Ryobi One + battery saw to keep in the garage (under the house) so in winter if I bring in a load of wood for the woodburner and find out I cut the wood too long I can grab the Ryobi and cut away. Wife had no sense of humor in that situation when I used to fire up the Echo 400. Anyway, that battery saw really impresses me with how it cuts, so much so I even bought the compatible pole saw. It’s pretty impressive too.

Loanstar

When I grow up I want to be a "they"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Glad to hear the ryobis work. I use the drill driver combos at work but havent had any dealings with their outdoor stuff. Tried the worx jaw saw and edger/weedeater at work and at least the saw left a LOT to be desired. Good to hear .

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad to hear the ryobis work. I use the drill driver combos at work but havent had any dealings with their outdoor stuff. Tried the worx jaw saw and edger/weedeater at work and at least the saw left a LOT to be desired. Good to hear .

Was helping a contractor part time so I also One + drill, impact driver, reciprocating saw, circular saw, jig saw, multi tool, right angle grinder, right angle drill and stapler. Zero complaints. In addition to the saw and pole saw and 10” car buffer.

Loanstar

When I grow up I want to be a "they"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow. Ryobi has it goin on sounds like. Have you used the multi tool much?

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. Ryobi has it goin on sounds like. Have you used the multi tool much?

Did a kitchen remodel, plaster walls and ceiling. Can’t force it like a sawzall but cutting corners with the plaster wire mesh was no problem. Cutting door trim to slide tile under was a breeze. Very handy tool to have. One note, cheap blades don’t last.

radio

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
+1 on the MS170

My 170 came with a 16" bar and Stihl 63PM (not PM3) chain. That was way too much for the saw even making 6" cuts in red maple. The PM yellow chain put too much of a load on the motor and the 16" bar added too much friction and load as well.

I put on a 12" bar with Oregon 91PX (not PXL) chain and the saw woke up, after it broke in a bit. I dropped, limbed and bucked a 10" birch reasonably quick with this setup. I went from hating this saw to really liking it.

For an occasional use saw with smaller trees/logs it will suit you fine. And if you use it sparsely then don't even think about mixing oil with ethanol fuel from the pump, just buy the pre-mix stuff at Lowes or Walmart for $5 per quart, in the long run it will be cheaper.