Buy or Build?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am wanting to get a chainsaw mill to make beams/timbers for a small hunting shack/blind/shelter. I have a 395 to power it with. My question is do I buy a mill or build one? I have a MIG and TIG welder and I have fabricated a lot of stuff, but I also know sometimes it is just better to buy. If I do fabricate my own, is it better to clamp to the bar or drill it and bolt it to the mill?

Thanks

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stupid phone! This post double posted. Admins, can you move Dub11's reply to the other and delete?

J & L Creations

Machine Design
Local time
10:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, seems time is always a factor, if you don’t have the time most times you will not have the money, at least that’s been my case. If you have the skills and the time to build a chainsaw mill, I think you can build one inexpensively. Build it to your personal specifications. It’s been my experience that you can’t always buy what you really want or one to fit your needs. Also building one will go a long way in teaching you other skills and you be able to repair it yourself when necessary, save money as well. What I would suggest first is to do research from You Tube university, get ideals from videos you view, design one from that premis, then build it to those specs and your own ideas and what will fit your buget. This is what I have done with the first and now doing with the second sawmill I am building. Yes they have taken some time to build, but having built one already and now a second, have and will continue to give me great satisfaction. Just my thoughts.

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Build it yourself, around your saw and set up needs. Definitely make the powerhead end a through bar mount. On the front of mine I have a small button that locates on a drilled in indent in the center of the tip sprocket. This keeps the mill from walking around, and trust me the clamp on style ones will walk around, and will wreck something. It needs to be fixed in place.