Buy or Build?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am wanting to get a chainsaw mill to make beams/timbers for a small hunting shack/blind/shelter. I have a 395 to power it with. My question is do I buy a mill or build one? I have a MIG and TIG welder and I have fabricated a lot of stuff, but I also know sometimes it is just better to buy. If I do fabricate my own, is it better to clamp to the bar or drill it and bolt it to the mill?

Thanks

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
5:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am wanting to get a chainsaw mill to make beams/timbers for a small hunting shack/blind/shelter. I have a 395 to power it with. My question is do I buy a mill or build one? I have a MIG and TIG welder and I have fabricated a lot of stuff, but I also know sometimes it is just better to buy. If I do fabricate my own, is it better to clamp to the bar or drill it and bolt it to the mill?

Thanks
I really don't have any experience with milling but I do have a lot of experience with metal fabrication. I was planning on building my own mill also. After seeing the price point of the mill that HLS sells, I think I have changed my mind. It looks to be well made for the money so now I just have to wait for them to be back in stock.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just ordered a 48" Granberg from a local dealer. I may never need all 44" of it, but I have it if I do. Now, chain question. Is the Granberg chain worth buying or is Oregon ripping chain ok as well? I know the Oregon doesn't have the fancy scoring cutters, but does it do alright?

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just ordered a 48" Granberg from a local dealer. I may never need all 44" of it, but I have it if I do. Now, chain question. Is the Granberg chain worth buying or is Oregon ripping chain ok as well? I know the Oregon doesn't have the fancy scoring cutters, but does it do alright?
Regular chain is fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like the grandberg chain on my largest mill seems to need less power but that is a 72" double ended bar. The 30" and 48" mills I just use Oregon or Carlton ripping chain and some of my own reground chain. Grandberg is expensive my chains are over 200$ each for big mill and weren't the right length. Bar is universal and depending on powerhead the driver number changes. They sent me another chain so I could make the right length. They really need a chart of saws used with what size chain so they are right when you get them.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I liked the Oregon ripping chain better myself as it left a little smoother finish to the wood and was more cost effective if recall correctly. You should have enough power with a 395 to not notice much difference pulling. Keeping the cutters identical to each other will pay off in board finish, less angle than 10 degrees will make it better yet. I can make a smoother board with the chainsaw mill than I can with a band mill, just not as fast.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square ground at 22° gave me the best finish over 10° semi chisel. I tried semi chisel and it was 40% slower and about 30% more fuel. Even if it's a rougher finish I can take care of that when finishing it.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What filing tools/jigs do you guys "use on the mill" to keep your chains sharp and even?

Square too?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Free hand is all I've ever done

junkman

Crush it
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What filing tools/jigs do you guys "use on the mill" to keep your chains sharp and even?

Square too?
I pull mine off about every gallon of fuel or so and regrind them ,try to have a few sharp chains ready to go ,i square grind also .If the wood is soft like cedar ,i can go longer between sharpens .

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just ordered the materials to make my own from Metals Depot. Came to 129 dollars shipped. It will take me around 4 hrs I think to build it and it will be fun in the end there is net gain over the HL Supply mill. Actually I ordered enough material for a Granberg style mini mill as well so there is a huge net gain I guess. I was really contemplating both the HLS mill and the Granberg. I used to own an Alaskan MK3 and the mini mill so I knew what I would be getting.

The price difference was just too much to justify. I can build a better mill than the Granberg so I will.

Between my 044/046 hybrid build, this mill build, the logs I want to mill next week, I have a pretty full plate for this weekend.