av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
7:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FF20C7E4-007F-4943-9FB3-6683288AA96D.jpeg 6C149A2F-DC3C-4A9E-ACC2-FF18D7393CF9.jpeg 357CE212-9901-4729-A627-8B9F1A18B9DB.jpeg Engine has about 15 minutes since OEM refurb cyl and Meteor piston. Pics show break right in the middle of the exhaust port with corresponding damage to the cyl at that location. There are zero marks on piston or cyl anywhere else. Anybody got any ideas? Where did I go wrong? Thanks in advance. Jim

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what saw ? found this same problem in a 661 the piston was labeled wrong with the arrow
meteor piston

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
could also be the port wasnt beveled enough

hotshot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What clearance did you your file your two Caber rings’ end gap to?

If you didn’t check, that’s likely your problem...

Last edited:

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No I didn’t check. Seems I’m learning something else the hard way. I know how it’s done but about where in the cyl do you measure and where do I find the spec for the 026? Nothing about it in the service manual that I have.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doubt it was ring end gap, check the other for *s-words and gigs.
Push it into the bore square (use piston) and measure with a feeler gauge.
Look at the factory ends of the broken ring, if they touched and pushed each other, there may be evidence of that.
Is it possible it was broken on assembly and lasted a few minutes before hanging in the port?
Did you inspect the ring for defects before or after? Still possible you could find a void in the metal if there was one.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It for sure wasn’t broken on assembly, once installed, I watched it for several ups/dns thru the exhaust port before installing the muffler. It broke right in the center of the exhaust port. I think I would have seen it. I will measure ring end gap on the next one, and look for the spec, before final assembly. I’ve taken a stone to the damage on the exhaust port, both top and bottom. I finished with 1000 grit and checked for bulges at the spot as well using a bright light and a straight edge. It is flat, what’s left is a small divot in the center of both the top and bottom walls of the exhaust port that probably will leak something, maybe not. I’ll have to try it to see . Waiting for parts.

hotshot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will measure ring end gap on the next one, and look for the spec, before final assembly.

It needs 0.008” minimum gap on that 026 with a 44mm bore. Push it in about a quarter inch & be sure that where the ends meet is over a solid part of the cylinder (not over a port).

I’ve had two pair of Cabers in the last month that were too tight, normally they’re good to go.

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
74A2D982-44B7-4F5E-8295-3CBBA188F27C.jpeg Here’s another pic. It’s the area of the break in the ring that broke. I believe that there is a small missing piece that would be between these two. Hard to photograph but if you look closely you can see that there is serious wear to the EDGES of the ring in the area of the exhaust port. The edges have started to “round off” in the area of the exhaust port. How could that be interpreted?

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It needs 0.008” minimum gap on that 026 with a 44mm bore. Push it in about a quarter inch & be sure that where the ends meet is over a solid part of the cylinder (not over a port).

I’ve had two pair of Cabers in the last month that were too tight, normally they’re good to go.
View attachment 184111 Here’s another pic. It’s the area of the break in the ring that broke. I believe that there is a small missing piece that would be between these two. Hard to photograph but if you look closely you can see that there is serious wear to the EDGES of the ring in the area of the exhaust port. The edges have started to “round off” in the area of the exhaust port. How could that be interpreted?

I said previously that I doubt it was a ring end gap issue.
Maybe I was wrong.
If this pic shows the ring laid out like it was from the factory, one end is certainly damaged (on the left).
6D715F00-0EC0-40F5-B3BC-40CA0AF475EB.jpeg

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is another small part that I recovered with the ring end on it. It does look to me that it’s possible the ends were touching. They are very shiny as if they were rubbing. I don’t have another set to compare, but it can’t be a bad idea to at least check the gaps. I pressure test every saw I begin work on to get an idea of what lays ahead, now I’ll check every ring gap on new pistons as well. Do you think it would be necessary to check the rings on an OEM piston? I’ve still got one of those boxed up. The thought of stretching them to get them off and then again when putting them back on gives me the willies.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only Meteor cylinder I've seen (036) already had a 65% wide exhaust port and was pretty square. I gave it a really slight curve in the middle and good gradual chamfer just in case. That was the last cylinder I was sent from someone who said they liked my port work and kept sending cylinders. I don't know if he thought I was getting lazy since the meteor cylinder needed very little work. Plus I was starting to get more conservative with experience, but did my best polishing job on that one hoping to compensate the lack of grinding.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 184111 Here’s another pic. It’s the area of the break in the ring that broke. I believe that there is a small missing piece that would be between these two. Hard to photograph but if you look closely you can see that there is serious wear to the EDGES of the ring in the area of the exhaust port. The edges have started to “round off” in the area of the exhaust port. How could that be interpreted?

Was having a hard time coming back into the groove when closing. Question is why? Check for too flat of a roof, too wide of a port, no bevel on the edge of the port or end gap too tight not allowing it to come back in, are a few things that I can think of to check for.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could play Sherlock Holmes which is only speculation after the fact .I've had good luck with Caber and Meteor myself .Buff it out,new ring ,might be just fine .It doesn't take much ingested trash to snag a ring .Some times it makes it through the transfers and gets spit out the exhaust .Some times the poor old saw chokes on it .It's kind of like a fly in your beer can .Not to be confused with a bumble bee in same .Not good .

av8or3

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks everyone, I appreciate you all. I’ll come back after I’ve successfully repaired the saw. Who said 2-strokes were simple? LOL

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put a Hyway pop up piston in a 350 Husky today, couldn't get a .004 feeler in the ring gap, filed it open to .008.