Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
10:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi folks.
I have a mate who owns a tree service company.
He buys 3/8 84 DL Stihl chains in bulk and gets them as cheap as I can buy Chinese chain.
He also budgets them into the job and only uses them once. Once dull they come off and go in a bucket.
There are many buckets.
There are many many chains.
Several hundred, bordering on 4 figures....... LOTS

We were talking this arvo about what is best to do with them.
I said the options are I could sharpen them but it would have to be a speedy process to make it even slightly profitable for me due to the low price he pays for them new.
Next option is to bundle them up in lots of 5 or 10 and sell them and once used chains keeping in mind an 84DL Stihl chain is worth %70 to $80 in Australia. Chinese chains are $20ish a loop
Other option is to just ditch them.

He dont want to part with them and I suggested buying a Simington square grinder to mount in my garage. Can only hope.

He is happy to buy hardware to sharpen them but I am thinking I would need a grinder set up for the cutters and something separate set up to do the rakers.

What would people recommend for high volume high speed chain grinding of teeth and rakers?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or on second thought a square grinder is the only way to sharpen ;)

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need a grinder Brews....for yourself if not for these chains in question. I love hand filing, round files, raker ones, triangle ones, single bevel, double bevel you name it I got them by the dozen. My file stash is back breaking to lift . My life changed when I got a grinder, no longer was I eating dinner in the basement after work hand filing work chains for the next day for an hour or two. I gotta good idea... how bout I send you a grinder so you can sharpen chains and you send us some Stihl chains when ya sorted. I need some 3/8 063 semi. PM us ya details if u want. Colin.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
8:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would sure hate to be staring at a bucket full of chains even with a Simington. I would sell as many as you can to help pay for a grinder. Then, try to keep ahead of the grinding so it isn't a full time job. Here's a pun, nothing quite as dull as grinding chain!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No way would I even consider a hand file that's crazy.....you will have carpel tunnel one bucket in LOL!!!!

You or him need a grinder no doubt about that...since they sell for so much there, sell enough chain to get an Oregon or Stihl grinder and get a CBN wheel.....

Since he goes threw so much chain, he will think the grinder is a life saver....

WHATEVER you do, do not let a ham fisted, knuckle dragging, idiot be the one to use the grinder.....this guy needs to see how well a grinder can do, and how much faster and easier it is to get a bad chain back into shape....let alone how much easier it is on your hands.....

I have a feeling you guys will both love the grinder, and it will keep these chains in service....or better yet after he uses the chains , sharpen them, and then sell them to firewood guys......

junkman

Crush it
Local time
5:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would get a stihl usg ,the wheels do not heat up the cutters as fast as the pink oregon wheels ,you can grind much faster for production ,if on first or second sharpen i would not touch the rakes ,If doing for yourself the square is the way i would go ,but will be slower converting them all from round .

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If he's got LOTS of chains & money to spare & you've got some time to dedicate get a Franzen & make a business out of it! He'll need DEEP pockets though REAL DEEP!!!!:thumbsup:

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am thinking a good Oregon round grinder will be the go.

What would be good option to do the rakers on any that may need it down the track?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rakers probably don't need touching yet. Grinders are OK for rakers, but don't like the flat spot they leave on the top. I'll use the grinder to get a consistent height then finish shaping them with a mastercarver with sanding drum or raker file. I like a bit of angle on the tops of my rakers...Stihl chain has a witness line their to follow. 5-8°

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just my $.02 here but I'd get a good Oregon grinder (maybe a 511ax) and a cbn wheel for doing the cutters. I'd also get a cheaper grinder (Oregon knock off) and a couple 1/4" pink wheels for doing the rakers.
It's super easy to profile the pink wheels and adjust the head tilt for doing rakers. If you know all your cutters are the same length just hand file 1 RH and 1 LH cutter. Set the grind height to your hand filed RH raker and then do all the RH rakers with the grinder. Repeat the process for the LH rakers. Super easy to do.
Little tip is to get yourself a paint marker and mark the first cutter you sharpen.

Just another idea here, @Brewz don't you have a daughter around 12 or 13 yrs old. I know I'd rather sharpen chains for my dad instead of babysitting for a few extra $.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple of good options:

1. As noted, bundle and sell as 'used - never sharpened'. I see used STIHL chains sell for a lot on eBay. Spoke to one guy who pays less of a difference between what he pays for a new chain, and what he gets for a used chain, than he would pay for someone to sharpen.

2. Consider an automatic grinder. Word is that these work best when grinding similar loops, as set up changes are minimized.
Oregon is showing one in their catalog, that appears to be a version of the Markusson models.
Could maybe take in some other folks' chains on the side?

3. Consider setting up a disabled or challenged worker in a little side business. With a guaranteed stream from your guy, it could be a 'win-win' situation.

Philbert

Last edited: