Bulk Bar oil

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know Ive researched this before, but would like to find out if anyone has any better info or a contact source. I have a wholesaler that cant sell me bar oil as cheap as the local Tractor Supply bar oil. I would love to find a 30 to 55 gallon drum of bulk bar oil, even gallon cases for a price worth having and giving to friends and selling to customers.
I ordered some Amsoil this morning and just for shiz and giggles I looked at their bar oil. 35.00 a gallon. For that price you should be able to sit back and just watch the saw work. How could you ever justify that on a chain you drop in the dirt more often than you should. Not to mention spilling while filling up.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
5:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
As a husqvarna dealer I can get 55 gal drum of bar oil for $760.00 but shipping is killer. A local dealer should have no problem getting you one. May just have to wait for them to add it to their next oil order. (Have to meet minimums)

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a 13.82 a gallon price at your wholesale price excluding shipping. What would your sell price be? I could never sell 17.00 a gallon bar oil when it could be purchased for less than half that at TS or other farm store.
You did give me a thought about asking my friendly Stihl now also Husky dealer about how they go about bar oil and maybe they can get me a barrel.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depending on their order depends on the bottom line. If they order enough they get better pricing. High volume dealers usually have more margins to work with.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can get 5 gallon buckets of hydraulic oil for cheap.. not sure if that is acceptable for what you're wanting to do but I assure you it works fine

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hydraulic is a bit thin. I have never used it and sure it would work ok. I am looking to have something sitting there when a customer comes to pick up a saw, takes a gallon of bar oil along with. Think you could thicken it up any with a petroleum base thickening agent and stay tacky?

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about just straight SAE 30w motor oil? I'm sure you could get that pretty cheap in bulk.

NormalT

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
What price are you getting on gallons at TS?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cannot stand it when someone brings me a saw to work on and has used motor oil, or some other crap in it. Makes me ask what 2 stroke is he using? What hydraulic or motor oil has tack and anti-sling properties added to it. To each his own, but I can find bar oil for $6-10 a gallon to run in my saws and save my bars and chains, not to mention a $700-$1000 saw. Just my opinion, no hate intended.

Last edited:

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
7 or 8.00 plus tax a gallon. Not complaining at all. It doesn't matter if you buy 1 or a 100 the price stays the same. I guess I could just buy that, but I don't want to resell in their same container.

NormalT

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Are you a dealer? If so why not get it from one of your brands you sell?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My bud Tom who owns a tree service company will only use Stihl products buys his oil by the pallet load .It's quite a cost savings for him

If he has two crews working every day they will go through more oil in a week than I would in a year .I'm a tight wad I buy the stuff at TSC .

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Locally, the Menard's home center chain (no pun intended) sells bar and chain oil for $4.99 a gallon on sale several times per year. You probably can't buy it wholesale for that, let alone buy the empty jugs if you are going to sell it from bulk (and maybe raise environmental regulation flags).

30 years ago I purchased supplies for a fleet of 70 vehicles and tried to buy motor oil in bulk. It was cheaper to buy in plastic quarts from the discount auto supplier when they had it on sale. Store manager just asked me to let him know ahead of time if I was going to buy a lot, so that he could order appropriately.

Philbert

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my area (Croatia) the cheapest generic B&C oil cost close to 3$ a liter , multiply by 3.785 for a gallon.

I have no idea how much brand stuff costs!

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cannot stand it when someone brings me a saw to work on and has used motor oil, or some other crap in it. Makes me ask what 2 stroke it he using? What hydraulic or motor oil has tack and anti-sling properties added to it. To each his own, but I can find bar oil for $6-10 a gallon to run in my saws and save my bars and chains, not to mention a $700-$1000 saw. Just my opinion, no hate intended.
When I cut its typically cold enough that I thin oils down with diesel so tack agents do no good anyhow. I've run 32 inch bars with hydro oil no problems. I think anything will do really I don't blame you for hating used oil in a Saw that's pretty nasty stuff. But I personally see no benefit of buying bar oil. If I can find it for the prices philbert mentioned I grab a gallon or 5 by round here the stuff is high as new oil. Most of the bar oil is recycled crap anyhow

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you use?
Industrial heavy duty gearbox oil, viscosity 220.
It has nice tackiness and thickness, proven to be too thick under cold winter conditions.
For usage in winter conditions I find that a oil under a viscosity of 100 is desired.