HLSupply Chainsaw Parts Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

building a "landscaping truck" for shop use

Discussion in 'Landscapers Community' started by fordf150, Dec 13, 2017.

1. fordf150

fordf150 Pinnacle OPE Member

turns out my deal on square tubing wasnt such a deal....it was 2x4 channel so back to square one. I need 2x6 to fit inside the existing frame so I put in a call to my steel supplier to price out 2x6x.120 tubing vs 2x4x.120 + 2x2x.120. Will see how it works out. 4 link and the remaining air suspension components are ordered and should be here this week.

Dub11 and Lone Wolf like this.
  2. Dub11

Dub11 Some body poisoned the watering hole!

Is the square tubing going to double as air tanks for the air bags?

3. angelo c

angelo c Larger Member

Nate,
    A buddy of mine has a box truck that he uses for landscaping. I thought he was nuts..."how do you get the equipment out ?"
    easy...liftgate. real good in traffic as its a cab over Isuzu that turns in circles in driveways. they can be had cheap as delivery people burn through them at around 100k. cheap easy and usable. plus if you want to you can still hook up a trailer and load more chit.

Philbert and Dub11 like this.
  4. fordf150

thought about it, wouldnt be hard to do and each frame rail would be between 4 and 6 gallons of air storage depending on which size tubing i end up with. Main problem with doing this is sealing up the bolt holes that will go thru it to attach it to the existing frame, all the brackets and such can be attached to tabs welded onto the outside of the rails. could simply sleeve the holes but all that assumes i can weld good enough to not have any pin holes in my welds. I also wonder about the tubing holding the pressure, I assume it would be plenty strong but i dont wanna be around if it isnt and it would blow out.

Main reason for wanting tubing is that it has a radiused corner that matches the existing rails vs the channel iron. going with a formed C from 3/16 flat doesnt save any weight or money vs the 2x6x.120 so might as well go with the tubing and the increased strength it will provide.

5. fordf150

I looked at those, either leaving the box on or taking it off and adding a flat bed. compared to what i am going to have in this ranger those would still be 2 to 3x the price. I think i am into this ranger for $600 now with all the repairs i did to make it a reliable daily driver, add another $1000 for the suspension and bed and this is something i can drive around as a daily driver and send the GF out in if need be, cant say that for the Isuzu

6. Dub11

Dub11 Some body poisoned the watering hole!

That should be thicker than an air bubble. Or you could make some round tube bumpers like I've seen on some off road vehicles that double as air tanks?

Lightning Performance likes this.
  7. Lightning Performance

Lightning Performance Knuckle dragger swinging member

The pipe bumpers also clear trees

fordf150 and Dub11 like this.