High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

building a "landscaping truck" for shop use

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Right now I use my pickup and a 5x10 utility trailer or my 16' car trailer to pickup and deliver mowers. The problem with that is my pickup is an extended cab longbed superduty and it seems like 90% of my pickups are either in one lane alleys or on a main street with the people having no driveway.

Couple years ago I had an idea that a ramp truck for mowers would be great but didnt have the time or gumption to follow thru on it. This summer i ran across a fairly nice low miles ranger that had been crashed into a pond, didnt run, and had been parked for a year or so, could tell by looking at the pics that it wasnt submerged deep enough to even get the interior wet so I picked it up with a very quick lookover. Towed it home and proceeded to look it over, had it running within 5 minutes, just needed the fuel crash sensor reset and the fuel pump relay replaced.

Fast forward to this winter, realizing I am probably going to be working alone....my dad helps so not technically alone but he just does the running and paperwork. Having something that him and me can hop in and deliver/pickup mowers without much fuss is getting to be a critical thing. Adding to the need is the fact that plans are in the works to take on Scag mowers for this season so that means delivering new mowers and even more pickup's.

Here is where the questions start.....My plan involves adding a dovetailed flatbed with bifold full width ramp. Everything I have found in the mini pickup range for this involves one major flaw that i plan on correcting. To get a long enough bed everything i have found the people just added 10' worth of bed to a ranger/s10/tacoma which results in more bed behind the axle than in front of it which has to make the truck drive/handle like crap when loaded. The plan to correct this is stretching the frame and going to some type of airbag suspension so the tires are right at the dovetail and with bags i can set it up so the truck sits level empty to keep the ramp angle as shallow as possible. Here is what I am looking at building, any suggestions?

3-4-Ton-Landscape-Truck-Body-photo-2.jpg 569fa508dab3f239d663abfede74bb54--lawn-trailer-truck-accesories.jpg 0898422273b247bab2ee3fe5f857e7a3--ben-google-images.jpg

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My original idea was to use 1/2 ton springs and cut them off right behind the axle, that leaves the front half to locate the axle for and aft so I would just have to add a track far for lateral location. Fab up some brackets for airbags, reuse the original shock mounts and its a done deal.

BUT

I came across this while searching for air bags and prefabbed mounting brackets which got me thinking about fabbing a whole new frame section out of rectangular tubing instead of trying to cut and stretch the original C channel frame.

s-l500.jpg
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weld-On-Tr...ash=item41b0074b39:g:F80AAOSwTA9X3~bY&vxp=mtr

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be a pretty good setup with the 4 link trailing arms and bags. Ride would be adjustable.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
that was my thoughts....add a leveling valve and i could set it and forget it. loaded/unloaded it would sit level which has a few benefits in this project, keeping ride height as low as possible will let me set the bed height only a few inches above the tires and limit tailgate angle or even shorten the gate by a foot or more which would probably be worth it for the weight savings. Some of these larger Z's weigh 1500lbs and a bifold gate that will hold that is gonna have to built fairly heavy

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A gate would be about 225 lbs to handle a ton and not bend and stay bent. 2x2×1/4" angle with thinner and smaller braces would work with steel mesh

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Neighbor has one of these. Not cheap, but easier than rebuilding a truck. He uses it for car parts, moving boilers, transporting a Genie lift, etc., etc., etc.

IMG_1466.PNG

Philbert

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just been thinking and anything that has to be on this to make it sell better in 4-5 years when i upgrade? what do landscapers need on a trailer/truck? what kind of storage boxes or racks are needed?

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will need a way to secure trimmers, blowers, backpack blowers, and chainsaws for transporting....thats something a landscaper needs as well so i might as well add those instead of relying on bungee cords but something after spending all evening looking at ever pic imaginable I keep coming up with landscape trailers/trucks with boxes mounted on the front. they range from simple open top boxes filled with misc junk. what all has to be carried on a truck on a daily basis?

77X12_LS_WITH_2_FT_SIDES1_55113114_std.18141831_std.jpg

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My original idea was to use 1/2 ton springs and cut them off right behind the axle, that leaves the front half to locate the axle for and aft so I would just have to add a track far for lateral location. Fab up some brackets for airbags, reuse the original shock mounts and its a done deal.

BUT

I came across this while searching for air bags and prefabbed mounting brackets which got me thinking about fabbing a whole new frame section out of rectangular tubing instead of trying to cut and stretch the original C channel frame.

View attachment 101136
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weld-On-Tr...ash=item41b0074b39:g:F80AAOSwTA9X3~bY&vxp=mtr
A four link would work but for your application a three link would also, considering you are not going to need the axle articulation a four link provides.

Last edited:

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How about finding an extended cab Ranger and mounting your single cab?

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you really need to modify the truck? We use trailers, chippers and stump grinders on trailers on all our jobs and never have a problem . You might be over thinking it just get an enclosed trailer and keep all your stuff right in there.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How about finding an extended cab Ranger and mounting your single cab?
I want to keep the extended cab....already have plans for what will fit behind the seat. I have a couple old side boxes off my tool box that arent needed and by my quick measurements they will fit nicely behind the seat and give me plenty of room to keep a basic tool selection in the truck along with it being inside the truck where it can be locked up all the time.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you really need to modify the truck? We use trailers, chippers and stump grinders on trailers on all our jobs and never have a problem . You might be over thinking it just get an enclosed trailer and keep all your stuff right in there.
Its allot of work but i think the results will pay for themselves in time savings of having to hook up trailers all the time. I dont have room here at the shop for my car trailer so anything over 50" deck i have to run home and get the car trailer plus its just the aggravation of getting around in 2 track alley's, 2 lane streets with cars parked on both sides, houses with no driveway to pull in so parking in the street while loading/unloading mowers and getting paid. Seems like an easy solution that will be much less aggravating than driving around in my pickup with a car trailer, an added plus is i will be able to send my dad on some of the pickups/deliveries because currently that is out of the question...his back up skills with a trailer are somewhat lacking. Also if done right I think i can use this ranger with a custom bed for 4-5 years and sell it for what i have in it to a landscaper that is tired of dealing with the same problems i am.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
3:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
already rounded up an air compressor for free and the square tubing to extend the frame for a song. dug around and should have most of the angle iron needed leftover from other projects

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
just going to bite the bullet and get the 4 link ordered, hopefully it'll be here this week and next week I can start on it by getting the frame lengthened and rear suspension in. pick an idea and running with it, it'll either work out and be great or I'll spend the next few years cussing it but if i keep thinking about it I'll never get it built before the busy season starts which means it wont get done until next winter