Builder to rebuild/build my MS880

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I expect to spend some $$ but don't want to be somebody's early retirement check either. I am waiting to see what kind of work I can have done and how much difference it will make over stock. The rebuild or whatever it takes to get it back running is a given even if it goes back stock. My only question is what one of the masters can do to it without rendering it useless or breaking my bank and will give it most *ss kicking ability.

To answer or clarify for a few earlier posts I would compare pulling the cord on it to that of a starter rope on a small to mid size ATV. At 6'7" & 340 I generally didn't have an issue starting it. Bearings may be the issue but I not an experienced mechanic by far. Been running saw since I was ten but never went beyond minor repairs and PM on them. This saw may have 50-75 hrs on it tops so I don't want to give up on it yet.

The muffler has bolts for what that's worth.

On the topic of damaging encounters for the 880 try having a moron throwing a 150 lb two man post auger blindly into the truck landing on it. I had to replace top full wrap handle, rear case/tank assembly and bushings. That was the nearly $600 in parts I mentioned in an earlier post. I have seen what loaded trucks, skidders, dozers, trees and 100' falls can do to saws but nothing can compare to an idiot.
Don’t take my thoughts on this for anything bud. Get that saw sent to one of the builders on here and get your monster built. You’ll be happy

Chief101

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its a given I will have it built and make it all the monster it can be. My goal is to get this thing back and be blown away by it. I'm trying to learn how far it can be taken and still be able to earn its cost back on the job as well as taking some extra green from any Buddy's that like to rag on my STIHLs all the time.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A well done woods port job shouldnt shorten the life span of a saw any more than a crappy operator with a dull chain. Lots of dudes on here that can get really good gains for a few hundred bucks and it will put a smile on yer face for sure.

Chief101

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
OK guys I want to thank everyone for the info. I am still on the learning curve on saw building. Here is what I have so far as pretty general building practices:

Woods Porting

Cut Squish ring?( Not sure what that does or if its part of some other process.)

Higher RPM coil (?) (What RPM right for limit on 880?)

Muffler mods for adequate exhaust flow

Carb upgrade,
Intake tract replacement&modifications to get more fuel+airflow

With these options will my 880 still be usable for cutting the winter firewood and the occasional tree job? Will this awaken the beast?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tree Monkey is as good as they come. His cost is in his sig, $300 includes shipping back to you.

Parts are extra, so is additional work. The added work, if found, will be cheaper than a dealer would charge you.

I’ve been porting saws for a few years now, and I may send a few to him myself. There’s more work involved than one may think.

Porting involves increasing compression in most cases (by creating a popup piston or cutting the squish band), optimizing combustion, optimizing port shape/size/timing, increasing exhaust flow to increase performance and saw durability.

It’s a big balancing act. Everything I stated above has to work together. In some cases, builder use parts from other models to optimize things. Sometimes what works on one model is detrimental to another. Some saws take 10 times the work of others for performance gains.

You are paying for experience, and @tree monkey has a lot of it. He’s kinda old, but he’s got a few good years left in him.

Last edited:

Chief101

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
After all of this research and the videos I have watched I'm thinking I must add something from each to my collection.

With so many builders on here its hard to choose. Good thing I am wanting to expand my saw collection.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After all of this research and the videos I have watched I'm thinking I must add something from each to my collection.

With so many builders on here its hard to choose. Good thing I am wanting to expand my saw collection.
Now you're talking. :applaudit:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I feel the same way. I want one from all the builders. But me kids keep me in check.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately, you need to replace a few parts to do the new 880 right. They are really choked up from the factory.

1. MS361 coil to get rid of the pathetically low rev limiter
2. Intake boot
3. Carb
4. Am I missing anything?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately, you need to replace a few parts to do the new 880 right. They are really choked up from the factory.

1. MS361 coil to get rid of the pathetically low rev limiter
2. Intake boot
3. Carb
4. Am I missing anything?

Which carb and intake boot?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only Reason I didn’t mention Randy is because he stopped taking used saws. He’s new or nothing now.