Builder Review Mastermind Work Saws

Trader history (0)

Code_Red

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I had a few spare moments today, so I went over to the wood lot with my MMWS 261C. As per instructed to reset the M-Tronic system, I let the saw idle with the choke on for 90 seconds, shut it off, then fired it back up.
I made a couple of dozen bucking cuts in some really hard stuff. Then a few noodling cuts in some big pine rounds. All with the Clearance tagged($25) Oregon 16" 325 063 Combo set.....
View attachment 107549 View attachment 107550 View attachment 107551

"Wow!".....this thing is impressive.

I agree! I bought a 261C-M from randy in 2014 and it was my first ported saw...... I said the same thing "wow" and it is my go to for everything except big oaks

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 3 MMWS MS 361, 261, and a 460.

All are great runners. The stock saws sit on the shelf unused now.
Randy is honest and driven to do his best on everything he does.
He will tell you what he thinks too.

Had a bearing issue on the 460, Talked to Randy about looking at it to see what is going on then sent it back to him.
He found a little rust on the bearings from sitting before he got it. Since he ported it and sold it to me he would fix it right up.

Then it happened!
I told him to fix it and send the bill to me for parts, labor, thrown tools etc.
He then told me in no uncertain terms that i better not send any money!!
He will take care of his customers.
This was above and beyond fair.

longleaf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Randy built my first ported saw an Echo 620P. He was great to deal with. He drove out to the 127 yard sale in some bad traffic to pick it up to save me some shipping. He was great about answering my novice questions and had it done on schedule. The saw is no comparison to stock as far as performance goes. It has preformed flawlessly with no issues. I have a few saws and another ported one but this one is still my favorite. My only complaint is now I feel the need to get all of my saws done.

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Had my first ported saw from Randy, an ms261, I liked it so much I sold it to my mate and bought another, he's had it ever since working as a contract climber and will never sell it, hes also got a 661xb and loves it. Still got mine, epic little saw

Passed an mmws 660 and 461 to another climber, he's in love with both and is always getting remarks from others.

I've had a good line of Randy's saws, always impressive, always nice to work with, always drawn admiring chats or just awe. Wood is hard here, hoofing through a hard gum gets noticed.

Think I've had 12 all up, tried a couple and moved them on but have a set thats used, I'll be back when I need another

Highly recommended saw hackerer

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
just read all this tread and I must say I concur with everything said :applaudit: .

I have 2 of Randy's saws I got them over 5 years ago and even though I
had to take 3 years off cutting because of health they have had a hiding
and they just never give up pulling in our AUSSIE hard woods :number_one: , I just
don't know how anyone can use a stock saw in this stuff .
one is a ms261 and the other is a ms460 with 230psi comp and the bottom
end has held up very well the reason we went with such a high comp was I
wanted torque and I told him if I only got 2 years out of it I would be happy
and all I can say is am I ever :aaaaa:
the man even helped me out when I was having a hard time years ago even
though we have never met each other this is a testament to his character .
he is one hell of a saw builder and the perfect example of how we all should
conduct our selves in life .
:beer-toast1::beer-toast1::beer-toast1::beer-toast1:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
2:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got 4.5 of @Mastermind Randy's saws that he's done in the recent past. Only three of them were via dealing direct with Randy, and the others I bought no questions asked from other guys on the forum.

The first transaction Randy and I had was me buying a 372 non XT P/C combo off of him to run on my J'Red 2171. I decided to send him a 461 cylinder to work up and 346XP.

The 372 and 461 are beasts. Randy really lays on the saw muscle. With both cylinders I was scratching my head, as Randy seems to be able to find powa with minimal grinding.

I also have a 357XP and a 6100 MMWS that I bought off of other guys here on the forum. They both are stellar performing saws and part of my go to repertoire.

And, the .5 is the little 346 I'm patiently waiting for Randy to have completed soon. ;)

More than anything, I'm proud to call Randy a friend.

IMG_0304.jpg IMG_0305.jpg

Last edited:

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Smiling, & giggling like a teenager again today...!!!

Just fired up my branby newby MMWS 562xp. WOW.

I first experienced the magic of having a saw masterminded, in Oct of 2015. I had sent Randy my 10yr old, well used, 353. It came back on fire I tell ya. For me, with no experience at all with a ported saw, I was blown away. I couldn't believe I was getting the performance out of it, I did. It really shocked the fellars I routinely cut wood with. Of course, I didn't tell them what I had done...lol. Even now, after plenty of use/abuse, she still fires up in a couple pulls, regardless of outside temp, hot or cold. Been an extremely reliable saw, & certainly doesn't feel like a 14yr old saw when using it.

My cutting buddies are all Stihl guys. MS290 being the most prevalent, though one fellar has a bigger saw. For the last 3 1/2 yrs I've been cutting circles around them. This of course, after all of them snubbing their nose at that darn Hooksy. "I don't think much of them" was a common phrase I heard. Not so much anymore....hahahaha. A good buddy of mine, & previously die hard Stihl guy, mentioned a new saw is in his future. I about fainted when he said, he's gonna look at Husky..hahahaha

Well, wait till he gets a load of what came in the mail today...!!!

enhance

That's right. My "lil" 353 got a big brother :cool: A branby newby MMWS 562xp. I fired it up, & cut a couple test blocks off a hickory behind my garage.....WOW. I almost peed myself..lol. I again, found myself with nobody around, giggling like a teenager. I CAN'T WAIT to go cutting this weekend.

I, like many here, can't say enough about the work Randy does. Top Notch. I couldn't possibly be happier. I might have to sneak down to Tennessee for the shin dig later this year. I'd love to shake the man's hand.

As most of you know, even just messing with firewood, is hard work. Felling, blocking, splitting, loading, etc... It's all work. However, how many look forward to it..?! I know I do. Partly just to play with the saws. You know your mechanics are doing something right when, something as labor intensive as harvesting firewood, is "fun". A much deserved tip of the hat to all the builders out there, especially @Mastermind as, I don't have experience with others.

5 stars from me. :campeon: I would recommend Randy's services to any, & all. Be the best money you ever spent on a chainsaw. Thanks again Randy, I really appreciate you doing up this saw for me. I know how much you love Husky 5 series saws ;)

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
C2851C47-8856-4812-958E-68DC0EF5578D.jpeg I have had one of Randy’sMS 661csaws since 2014 been a fantastic saw has only worn a 36” bar it loves our Aussie hardwoods.That pleased in fact Iam waiting on my latest addition the MS462R if it’s anything like the 661 should be awesome.I wouldn’t hesitate at all in recommending his services to anyone thinking of a ported saw.

Last edited:

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My first two mastermind saws, both still owned by a contract climber mate, they've had a few years hard work in all conditions and haven't been babied or treated particularly nicely. Still killing trees with 40-1

20180710_120643.jpg 20180710_120633.jpg

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My first two mastermind saws, both still owned by a contract climber mate, they've had a few years hard work in all conditions and haven't been babied or treated particularly nicely. Still killing trees with 40-1

View attachment 165621 View attachment 165627
Are the mufflers dual ported or just opened up on these? My 261CM he did has a deflector on the left side.

Cjone

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Who is the Randy fellow you all are speaking of? All that I know is he builds saws for too little $$$$. As proof of his backlog!

I have 3 of his saws and all perform very well. CJ