Build alert!! Another 038 Mag

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a 44mm (260) the other day, I didn't take as much out, I just took the lip out/carried on with the same taper. I guess it it will flow better than it did but how much idk.

Yeah I questioned my logic but then I decided all 038 top ends use the same case so a mag cylinder may benefit with a little more volume. And a little more crank case volume may decrease top end power but may improve low end when buried in big wood. Which is all that I want from this. I’ll see. Either way the lower transfer needs tidying up as my burr is knackered and will not cut through the plating nicely using the tip of the burr. I don’t think the material removed is as drastic as it looks, bevel was around the yellow line originally. But then again I’m not sure if this was the correct approach.. well see..

Capture.PNG upload_2017-11-9_10-0-21.png

Last edited:

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
9:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
And assembled by Chuck Norris? Lol!
I believe for a little while Chuck Norris actually hung out at the factory and spit in the tank of every one when they came off the line.

Edit.. I was wrong.... That was actually the 372xp.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm just kidding around... This is great. I love a good build thread.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe for a little while Chuck Norris actually hung out at the factory and spit in the tank of every one when they came off the line.

Edit.. I was wrong.... That was actually the 372xp.
I agree two tough saws.. I have me two 038's and a 2065 so basically got the durability aspect all ticked with me saws...

Yet to tear the 2065 apart, it's in the pipeline next.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree two tough saws.. I have me two 038's and a 2065 so basically got the durability aspect all ticked with me saws...

Yet to tear the 2065 apart, it's in the pipeline next.
I agree completely. You will love the 2065. I just have to razz the creamsickle guys.. lol.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent idea, what about the mating faces and cylinder face? guess the gasket would take care of this?

Stay away from case cyl surface go over lightly to clean up surface

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Case has had its initial wash, quick scuff up and 1st etch.

I leave it pretty rough and keep as much original paint on as possible, theory is if it hasn’t come off in 25 years it pretty stuck and a good surface to paint on. Will block of the ports and put a plug in and wet flat this. Then etch again repeat process till it’s flat as glass. Then I will top coat it. Cylinder as paint on it but not too bothered as when it comes off all loose parts are gonna get washed in thinners.

IMG_1250.JPG

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Original cover has had the same treatment. Like this shape with the flowing rear more than the new style ms360 etc.

Rinse repeat till it’s smooth as glass.

IMG_1249.JPG

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First proper flat.. a lot of work to go.

IMG_1251.JPG

LondonNeil

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That looks cracking. You are, like Wonky, just making me think I'll go down the powder route though.... You need to put in the effort for a good finish, and I'm so short on time.
What do you spend on paint? Must be £10-15 on etch and a bit more on top coat?

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks cracking. You are, like Wonky, just making me think I'll go down the powder route though.... You need to put in the effort for a good finish, and I'm so short on time.
What do you spend on paint? Must be £10-15 on etch and a bit more on top coat?

Thanks! This is hycote etch it was £7.99 for 500ml. White etch was £12. I scrimped.. the white/grey RAL is around £12 for 400ml. I thought this was the best route after a put the bearings and crank in before painting in my 1hr of madness.. ah well, job satisfaction guaranteed on this.

Think I will need about 5 coats of primer to get it where I want. This is not being rushed. Finally I am taking a leaf outta @MattG ‘s book and going slow..

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The case looks like it will need a load of work.. lol

IMG_1259.JPG

LondonNeil

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ooo. I wonder a spread of filler, sand back, then etch prime, might be faster. And would it be durable?

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ooo. I wonder a spread of filler, sand back, then etch prime, might be faster. And would it be durable?

It looks worse than it is. Lol. I’m edging on trying to flat the original white as far back as possible whilst still keeping a bit on there for adhesion purposes. Body filler is brittle so I wanna stay away from it, like you questioned. I will probs spot stopper a few of the dinks. If I had a compressor I would put a good coat of poly on it and be done with it. Ah well. Plenty of time, it will come out good.