Build alert!! Another 038 Mag

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So seeing as oem magnum cylinders over here are rare as rocking horse poo... do I keep my exhaust and intake ported 52mm AM one or do I do some more exhaust and intake porting on this new super one and slap the oem super on. Any experience on this? I personally remember this AM 52mm being as strong as my stock 044 that I had a while back with a 20" bar.. will this super be better with oem porting numbers etc with similar opening of the ports???

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my mag is 3rd 038, after 2 supers. wanted mag to run side by side w/them. less diff than I expected. would be happy w/either.

I find the 038 more torquey than 044. 044 has 7p, 24" 3/8. 038m has 8p, 22", 3/8.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my mag is 3rd 038, after 2 supers. wanted mag to run side by side w/them. less diff than I expected. would be happy w/either.

I find the 038 more torquey than 044. 044 has 7p, 24" 3/8. 038m has 8p, 22", 3/8.

Yep my old mag would feel stronger than my 044 that I had for limited time, but like I said they were only using a 20" bar, not sure how they would fare with a 28" buried when the speed and hp of the 044 would come into its own. This was a hyway/meteor/farmertec mag cylinder too, can't remember which as they have all been on my old 038. Anyway who cares as 038's are the business and IMO one of Stihls best models if not the most pivotal mid range saw. Will probably use this oem super cylinder then, cheers for the advice.

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
038 mag cyl from dealer are available as are tanks upper mounts also just alittle more than af but worth it in long run

You need to find a oem nos 3 port muff !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
038 mag cyl from dealer are available as are tanks upper mounts also just alittle more than af but worth it in long run

You need to find a oem nos 3 port muff !

Glock37

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think i got one some where

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So seeing as oem magnum cylinders over here are rare as rocking horse poo... do I keep my exhaust and intake ported 52mm AM one or do I do some more exhaust and intake porting on this new super one and slap the oem super on. Any experience on this? I personally remember this AM 52mm being as strong as my stock 044 that I had a while back with a 20" bar.. will this super be better with oem porting numbers etc with similar opening of the ports???
If this saw is destined to be one of your "collectibles" as opposed to a buy-do-up-then-resell ones, then if it was me, I'd bide my time, save up my pennies, and buy an OEM magnum cyl, even if you have to save for brand new one.

I'd just take longer and save up for some really nice original kit for it.

But that's just my opinion.... :)

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If this saw is destined to be one of your "collectibles" as opposed to a buy-do-up-then-resell ones, then if it was me, I'd bide my time, save up my pennies, and buy an OEM magnum cyl, even if you have to save for brand new one.

I'd just take longer and save up for some really nice original kit for it.

But that's just my opinion.... :)

Your opinion is correct. That is why I'm going to trade out most parts on this super that I bought. I wanna see if I can also get those covers nice and have a shelf queen super. Maybe.. Then build another one to actually use with the farmertec and remaining parts..

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I can get a very clean used OEM cylinder, piston, pin, clips and NEW OEM rings from a Stihl dealer for £105 posted.. Is this a good deal?

MattG

Chainosaurus Rex
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So I can get a very clean used OEM cylinder, piston, pin, clips and NEW OEM rings from a Stihl dealer for £105 posted.. Is this a good deal?
038 Magnum?

Yes that sounds like a good deal Adam, think you should buy.

My parts place (L&S) who are pretty cool in my eyes, will want 157 smackeroonies without the carriage for brand new:

https://www.lsengineers.co.uk/cylinder-with-piston-52-mm-stihl-part-no-1119-020-1202.html

You make your choices, and you take your chances ;)

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes! all the 038 super parts came today. Poached the flywheel, coil, bing carb, chain adjuster and catcher and the air filter. All oem and in good working original order. Looks like the super packed up cos the previous owner decided to use a screw driver through the exhaust as a piston stop. So it knackered the piston, the cylinder will be ok and it has good clean original rings. Soon I think I will have big and little brother 038's..

So a few of the saw. Now it is complete. Oh and I threw some cabers on the current top end. It has good compression and I can see it being a biatch to crank over..

By the way the piston is clean, it has marker pen on it..

IMG_0375.JPGIMG_0374.JPGIMG_0373.JPG