Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0163.JPG
Recoil, OK, I ordered an 038 recoil and get a MS style badged one.. Damn this. I will email Huztl about a replacement. Apart from that it's well made, feels smooth and the pawl works a treat. This is where I am not sure of the case colour match. I have used Ford tractor white before and it has been good. Maybe the farmertec colour is a tad darker than Oem. Maybe someone can chime in.

Prognosis - quality is good, want an 038 style square badge though as I have an OEM stihl badge on order.

Last edited:

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0167.JPGIMG_0168.JPGIMG_0169.JPG

Covers, handle and chain brake handle. Ok these are all bang on. Covers are a great orange match. They fit nicely, are sturdy and are in general cleanly finished. The wrap handle is very impressive. I think the paint is more durable looking than Oem. The chainbrake handle is also pretty good. All in all very impressed.

Prognosis - f**k this sh1t, I'm off to bed... [emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know if you've been reading the 660 rice burner sub thread, but a few ave said there tanks needed a flush. I willsee if I can find the link or pic.
but for what its worth and the time it takes, i,d flush

http://opeforum.com/threads/stihlaneese-660.7949/page-3
1f5173d10ba1c38e8930836e520f58c5.jpg

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 87172
Here is the worst part. The upper AV mount. Ok so the reason I'm not too pleased with it is that it is only rubber moulded to one side. What happened to the OEM rubber that is moulded round the sides.

Prognosis - will search for OEM on this one as it's bound to fail...

Anyone have any idea of any branded av rubber that has a diameter of 21-22mm. Gonna try and do away with this crap prone to splitting rear annular av. Figured a 21mm rubber married through the hole in the steel plate an then maybe some sort of ID 21mm tube welded to the plate to give a collar for the mount to sit in... just thinking of how to improve this one.. oem of these are still crap..

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
id think if the other mounts are good, there wont be too much stress on the top one.
agreed, not the best design, but haven't broke one myself. have had & worked 3 038s here. 2 "s", and a mag at present.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
id think if the other mounts are good, there wont be too much stress on the top one.
agreed, not the best design, but haven't broke one myself. have had & worked 3 038s here. 2 "s", and a mag at present.

Well this is true. At the least I need to find a used oem one. This one has already split apart.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0205.JPG
Overall coming along alright after its surgery. Needs a flywheel, coil, dogs, carb, air filter and impulse to get it going. I am on the hunt for an oem cylinder or a no name or decent AM brand that has good numbers.. any suggestions??

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
are covers ms 380 copys? if so, the round badged starter cover don't look outta place, imo.

Agreed. Was gonna mention that myself. Looks like a MS380 with screw in caps. The shroud and air box contours are one of the classic and distinct aspects of the 028, 038, 042, 048 "family", imo. Think I'd just order the round badge and call it a MS380. Less aggravation all the way around and truer to the build. But that's just me.

As for the tank? Make sure it doesn't leak before ya put too many more parts together around it! Been there, done that with an 036 FarmerTec tank. Fixable with Seal-All and still not leaking after several months, but found out the hard way the tank was defective. The outer tank half literally separated from the handle with only a little nudge. Not good. Easiest way to check it is to pump a few pounds of air into it through the fuel line. Should hold several psi unless the tank vent is bad..., which was also the case with this particular tank. (DDave includes an OEM vent with all his aftermarket MS tanks that use the button style vent because they're so problematic.)

BTW, your build sure is a lot prettier than the one I have on the bench. At least I don't think anyone will steal this one..., on purpose. LOL (And this pic is after I cleaned it up yesterday.) Someone had fun with a couple cans of spray paint before I got it and every bit of nasty funk just sunk in and stained wherever it landed. Building it for a guy who wants a mean ass ugly saw, so boy is he in luck!

0913172051_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed. Was gonna mention that myself. Looks like a MS380 with screw in caps. The shroud and air box contours are one of the classic and distinct aspects of the 028, 038, 042, 048 "family", imo. Think I'd just order the round badge and call it a MS380. Less aggravation all the way around and truer to the build. But that's just me.

As for the tank? Make sure it doesn't leak before ya put too many more parts together around it! Been there, done that with an 036 FarmerTec tank. Fixable with Seal-All and still not leaking after several months, but found out the hard way the tank was defective. The outer tank half literally separated from the handle with only a little nudge. Not good. Easiest way to check it is to pump a few pounds of air into it through the fuel line. Should hold several psi unless the tank vent is bad..., which was also the case with this particular tank. (DDave includes an OEM vent with all his aftermarket MS tanks that use the button style vent because they're so problematic.)

BTW, your build sure is a lot prettier than the one I have on the bench. At least I don't think anyone will steal this one..., on purpose. LOL (And this pic is after I cleaned it up yesterday.) Someone had fun with a couple cans of spray paint before I got it and every bit of nasty funk just sunk in and stained wherever it landed. Building it for a guy who wants a mean ass ugly saw, so boy is he in luck!
The thing is these top covers are just stop gaps till I can A: warrant the costs for some NOS 038 top and filter covers, and B: actually find some..

This is why I want the 038 recoil. The tank is also all I could find atm and buying off Hutzl.net sets you back hardly any dollar if you want to change to OEM in the future. Really this is a get it running on the OEM case, crank etc and gradually find as and when I can the OEM used or new 038 stuff including a decent mag cylinder. blah blah blah.

But on a side note I will check out the tank sealing scenario. Seems tough atm, no sign of it falling off.

Also who the hell paints the side covers orange, it aint an 011AV. lol. Good luck, if you decide you want rid of that mag cylinder I will have it!!

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 87674
Overall coming along alright after its surgery. Needs a flywheel, coil, dogs, carb, air filter and impulse to get it going. I am on the hunt for an oem cylinder or a no name or decent AM brand that has good numbers.. any suggestions??
Your AV plug is on the wrong side ;)

rocketnorton

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a nos top cover/shroud thru dealer here. $40. cad. tag & rivets are separate

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding that left hand rear buffer,it is an item to make certain it is in good shape .I can attest to the fact if it fails you will tear the intake boot .They aren't that costly on this side of the pond .What they are on the other side of the Atlantic ocean I have not a clue .