Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
12:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We run two tanks of fuel thru the Rice Rocket yesterday. It's a surprisingly good running saw.

One thing I wanted to add to the build thread. We used the Stihl crank pulling tools, and used the installed seals as they were in the kits. Very simple.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We run two tanks of fuel thru the Rice Rocket yesterday. It's a surprisingly good running saw.

One thing I wanted to add to the build thread. We used the Stihl crank pulling tools, and used the installed seals as they were in the kits. Very simple.

So far I think if nothing else comes out of this experiment, it's that these saw cases can be successfully assembled in a myriad of ways, none of which were difficult for the installer. I tend to think of it as what is at hand used the best way possible for the user.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 questions for you Randy:

1) Did you cement the case pins in place with Dirco or similar?

2) Did you check the port timing on the cylinders?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far I think if nothing else comes out of this experiment, it's that these saw cases can be successfully assembled in a myriad of ways, none of which were difficult for the installer. I tend to think of it as what is at hand used the best way possible for the user.

Live + Learn as they say. I think I made a mistake assembling mine out doors using a heat gun. The first case half went just fine, but the second one froze half way on (when I tried to align the case pins) and, since it would not move in either direction, was finished with a hammer & socket. As a result, that seal had to be replaced.

I think I will try to do it indoors this time, and hopefully things will cool a little more slowly.

I ordered 2 of those seals, so I have an extra, just hoping I don't ruin both of them on the two new ones!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Live + Learn as they say. I think I made a mistake assembling mine out doors using a heat gun. The first case half went just fine, but the second one froze half way on (when I tried to align the case pins) and, since it would not move in either direction, was finished with a hammer & socket. As a result, that seal had to be replaced.

I think I will try to do it indoors this time, and hopefully things will cool a little more slowly.

I ordered 2 of those seals, so I have an extra, just hoping I don't ruin both of them on the two new ones!

If you're going to use heat, use plenty of it. As soon as you see a whiff of smoke, it's ready. Oh, and work fast, don't dally, there's plenty of time for that later.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 questions for you Randy:

1) Did you cement the case pins in place with Dirco or similar?

2) Did you check the port timing on the cylinders?

We didn't use any sealant on the case or case gasket........but we did not use the supplied gasket. We used a Hyway brand gasket in both saws.

I did not check any numbers, or even check squish.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a case pin pop right out of the saw when I was banging on the crank trying to center it, and I have heard of other cases where the case pin has moved afterward and messed up the clutch.

I think I will glue mine in.

I heated the bearing with a heat gun until the race looked like it was starting not to like it, there is always a balancing act going on!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a case pin pop right out of the saw when I was banging on the crank trying to center it, and I have heard of other cases where the case pin has moved afterward and messed up the clutch.

I think I will glue mine in.

I heated the bearing with a heat gun until the race looked like it was starting not to like it, there is always a balancing act going on!

We did seat the pins on into the flywheel side after the cases were together. I'm pretty sure they are tight.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, you used the piston pin clips as they came, or did you clip the ears off them?

Dasmoose

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Drop starting is the only way to start a saw I don't care what the safety Sally's say.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to drop start em when they are warm, but put em on the ground when they are cold. We all do what works best for us.

I also don't use the decomp when cold, but like to use it (if it has one) when warm. Drop starting a warm saw with the decomp is a breeze, why work harder than you have to? This is especially true when you are working in a tangled mess of stuff, and with all the invasive vines growing around here, that is becoming a more routine problem.

Dasmoose

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was unfortunately blessed with the height gene and by blessed I mean I hit every branch in the tall tree when I was growing up then hit every door jamb :roto2rie: so its easier for me to drop start them, just get it to compression and rip it over. These newer saws are nothing compared to the pro mac lol might as well be drop starting a farmall!