Broke my Kimber Micro .380

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had a Kimber Micro .380 for about 2 years now. It has always been very accurate and reliable, save for needing a new mag catch which Kimber provided awhile back. Yesterday I was giving it some exercise when suddenly the slide locked up halfway open. I can pull it back, but it will not go forward more than about half. Got to looking at it, and it appears that a chunk of slide material has broken off the left side of the breech face and wedged itself between the barrel feed ramp and the frame, blocking the slide from coming forward.

I can't get this thing apart without resorting to a big hammer, so looks like the Micro is gonna be vacationing in Yonkers for awhile. Anybody ever see something like this happen before?

Broken Kimber A.jpg Broken Kimber B.jpg

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sux, but doesn’t surprise me.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, glad it failed on the range and not when I really needed it. I have never fed the Micro hot ammo. My usual load is 3.1 grains Bullseye under a 102 grain LRN, basically duplicating factory FMJ. When it comes back, I'm considering getting out of it and into a Sig P238. Even though it is a Colt Mustang copy like the Kimber, the 238 has a beefed up slide and barrel. Also, the same identical parts other than mags cost half as much!

What's funny is, the Micro was the cheapest of these guns back when I bought it two years ago. The Colt and Sig were at least $100.00 more. Last time I checked, Sig had dropped the price to about the same as the Kimber. I also have a Glock 42 which is a really sweet pistol. Only things that the Micro/P238/Mustang have on it are: a. a little bit shorter for easy pocket carry, better trigger pull, and a barrel that is more friendly to lead bullets.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took the Micro to the gunsmith after work, I figured I would let her look it over before sending it back. Turns out the rear plate on the slide had slipped down and was catching the hammer! Snapped it back in place and everything seems to function perfectly. Field stripped the pistol and found no damage of any sort.

I'm still going to let her give it a good inspection and test fire. This has never happened before and I sure wouldnt want it to happen when my life depends on it!

LOMartin

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whenever you contact a manufacture.

They will always ask what ammo you used.

Have a receipt handy.

Obviously never say reloads. Basic knowledge but good to lay it out for those that don’t know.

Good luck, I would still send it in on Kimbers dime.
Start a record of this Incase it happens again.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I do have the receipt from where I bought it new. I have read that this problem can be caused by a weak firing pin spring.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I am going to get the Kimber fixed by the gunsmith or Kimber, and then let it be my wife's defensive pistol. She doesn't carry and would probably only shoot it a couple of times a year so I think it would be quite unlikely to ever malfunction on her. Then, I get a new Sig P238. Best possible outcome!

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whenever you contact a manufacture.

They will always ask what ammo you used.

Have a receipt handy.

Obviously never say reloads. Basic knowledge but good to lay it out for those that don’t know.

Good luck, I would still send it in on Kimbers dime.
Start a record of this Incase it happens again.

Great advice.
My 2 pennies -- If I was able it would go back to Kimber.
But the OP will certainly use his own judgment. Before I trusted my life to a weapon I would want all known defects remedied and cleared.
Kimber makes some beautiful handguns and are recognized as quality firearms. Things can happen though.

LOMartin

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kimbers are fine weapons.
Like all custom 1911’s they take some post production work to feed and shoot a variety of rounds. More so that it’s a .380, not the most reliable of rounds in general.

My rule with Kimber is always buy used, let the first guy work out the kinks.

Once you get the little things figured out and find the bullet weight/charge/bullet type it’s going to run like a sewing machine. I run a minimum of 200rounds through this little guns before I can trust them.

The micro is a great gun. I made a set of rough textured grips to slow down the jump out affect.

The micro along with the p238 and the p938 are beautiful pocket pistols.

I was an early adopter of these new Colt Mustang type guns when they first came out and have gone through this with all 3. Kimber customer service is great, Sig can go....you know what.

Disclaimer:
7 years as troubleshooting/developing/designing firearms on a friends FFL/SOT.

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for your advice. I really like the Micro, it is very accurate. I have put at least 1000 rounds through it, mostly 3.1 grains Bullseye under a Lee 356-102-2R. This load pretty much duplicates Remington 95 grain.FMJ. I have pulled apart factory rounds and they use the same charge of a powder that looks identical. The .380 just doesn't have the velocity or sectional density for expanding bullets so I always go for reliability, accuracy, and penetration.

LOMartin

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. Good to hear that, definitely don’t tell Kimber you use reloads.

Man I feel for you if you use range pickup brass.

Those little .380 brass always sneak into my 9mm boxes during sorting, and it’s not until I go to place it in the 550 that I realize it.

I’m more quantity with the 9mm then quality for MG shooting.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Range brass is my favorite kind! I do sort it by brand and discard anything that looks questionable though.

The gunsmith called Kimber about it. They said that, if there is nothing broken and this is the only time the gun has malfunctioned in this way there is probably nothing they can do. So, I told her to give it a good inspection and test fire just to be sure. I'll probably replace the rear plate, firing pin, and firing pin spring for peace of mind.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 'smith cleaned and inspected the Micro, then fired a box of factory ball and a box of my reloads with no problems. I think I am going to replace the recoil spring and firing pin spring since it is about due for them, might replace the firing pin plate too. Then shoot it some more and, if no further problems, chalk it up to just one of those things that happens. I am still saving for a P238 though!

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My local shop is getting out of the Kimber brand due to what he says is lower quality... I don't own one and have not even show one. I'm just saying.